Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would you sell D.Bent???

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Now this may seem a silly question... but its one than could easily become a possibility.

Come January 1st we are still bottom of the Premiership.

Bentys scored 12 in all competitions already.

The club are in desperate need of a new Creative midfielder, another couple of strikers and a decent defender.

Newcaslte come in with £15 million for Bent.

With that we can buy two £5 million players of good quality a striker from Championship who might score 8-10 goals and a striker from a premiership team that might score 6-10 goals for us.

OR

Do we keep hold of Benty, hope he can notch another 10 goals for us, also hope that the team starts bonding and that Jimmy and M.Bent can get another 10 between them with Reid and others chipping in. Do we hope that we get no injuries and that the defence becomes better.

IF

It all goes wrong we end up selling Bent for 8.5 million in the championship. And lets face it if we finish Mid-Table Bent will likely go anyway.

Its a tough question to ask, maybe i'm being stupid but I think its a realistic question and one that is vital we get right.
£15 MILLION could do alot for a club who is bottom of the premiership.

Yet Benty is the best striker we've had at the club in along time....

Comments

• Options
    Good question and good arguments for and against.

Losing Bent in Jan and buying a few mids and say Nugent, which might give us a chance, but its not guaranteed and we lose the person whose goals could keep us up, however we may end up getting relegated and then selling him for £5m...

Hmm. Wouldn't want to be Richard Murray and have to make that decision!!
  • Options
    no.

you simply don't sell your best player mid-season, at any price, particularly a goal scorer.

We saw the impact the last time we did that.
  • Options
    No!He would probably put 5 past us if he went to another the club!
  • Options
    Also the Full value we could get for him has not yet been realised.......

I find Mclaren ignoring Bent as SGE did before him as offensive, I would have massive dificulty holding my tongue if I was Darren..........

Justa couple of chances for England a couple of gaols and his value could sky rocket..... yet it does look unlikely that chance will come as Mclaren is obvioulsy a scum bag........IMHO
  • Options
    I agree Mascot it is highly offensive to Bent's talent/

Eriksson was quoted a tthe weekend saying I took Walcott because there were no other "big" strikers. Where were they he said. Useless c***.

I think Benty's probably pulled a fast one as he couldn't be bothered going to Holland to sit on the bench and good luck to him.

As for Tom's question - no no no no. It was bad enough when we sold Parker if we sold Bent we'd definitely be fooked.
  • Options
    here's the article about what sven said:

glad he's gone
  • Options
    If we are to stay up we need points and to get points we need to score goals and neither JFH or M Bent are scoring enough and our other (alleged) striker Lisbie is injury prone.

I wouldn't sell Bent, not for any money, even £20M as relegation would be a near certainty without his goals and the benefit we'd get from the transfer fee would go in lost revenues from playing in the CCC.

We need to get through to the Jan window and hope we pick up a few points and invest in a striker and attacking/creative midfielder. If this means letting go of at least one or two of Hughes, Holland and Kish to balance the books then so be it. Maybe the club will recall Walton, but it's asking a lot of a kid to rescue us. On Saturday we were discussing Alan Smith who seems to be out of favour at Man U, I don't think he'd be a popular signing but he's the sort of attacking midfielder we need.
  • Options
    View changed on this now or not?