Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Of Interest to Old Gits :-)

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.wharf.co.uk/2008/03/charlton-legend-brian-kinsey-h.html

Comments

• Options
    I enjoyed that even though I'm not an old git.

Should be of interest to all Charlton fans who care about the clubs roots and history.
  • Options
    What a great little piece.

Sadly the days of that player are long gone.

Must be something about the nickname Kins....
  • Options
    I am an old git and I enjoyed it, he was a good honest one club player who turned out for Charlton in good and bad times - thanks Len
  • Options
    Great article, enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Im an old git as well.....have had the pleasure of meeting Brian on many occasions and he is a real Gentleman and will always be a legend to me personally.....really nice bloke.
  • Options
    Good article. I remember Brian Kinsey well - a honest professional - not the greatest player ever, but steady, consistent and, above all, gave his best
  • Options
    Very good
  • Options
    I think I'm just a lad ......... but everybody else assures me I'm an old git.
    So I guess they must be right.

I do remember Brian Kinsey playing for Charlton towards the end of his career.

He started as a promising left winger but not the fastest, so eventually converted to left back where he was solid and dependable for more than 10 seasons.

I remember when flying left winger Lenny Glover was sold for a then phenominal fee of £80,000 to top flight
    Leicester City in November 1967. We had a small squad in those days and to fill the gap in our next match home to Blackpool, Brian Kinsey was asked to play left wing and fill the great Lenny's boots.

Poor old Brian ..... he stood out on the left wing and barely saw the ball. And when he did, he didn't really have the pace to get past his man; 2nd half, unsurprisingly, he reverted to left back.

Brian Kinsey was a rock in the legendary Charlton team of 1968-69, managed by Eddie Firmani, finishing 3rd but missing out on promotion to the top flight Division 1- to Palace and Brian Clough's runaway Champions, Derby County.

Brian now lives 2 doors away from my Dad, who has many a chat with him about the old days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Brian now lives 2 doors away from my Dad, who has many a chat with him about the old days.
    Your dad must be about 150 then Oggy! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Brian now lives 2 doors away from my Dad, who has many a chat with him about the old days.
    Your dad must be about 150 then Oggy! ;-)

Ha Ha! 76 next month - still a Season Ticket holder in the West.
    From a proper Charlton supporting family originally from Plumstead and then Eltham.

Claim to fame: watching the 1947 Cup Final live on the box and seeing Charlton win the Cup!
    Hardly anyone had a telly in those days so he had to go round his mate's house - they had the only telly in the street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    What a plastic - why wasn't he there?!

Probably didnt have Valley Gold so couldnt get a ticket.
  • Options
    I'm sure I still have his autograph.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I'm sure I still have his autograph.

What, Oggy's Dad's?

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I'm sure I still have his autograph.

What, Oggy's Dad's?

;-)

I can get it for you .......providing you don't try to sell it on eBay
  • Options
    Charlie Wright in goal, Kinsey on the left, Curtis on the right, with Went and Reeves in the middle. They were some defence.

Brian was real Charlton and a hero to many.

Great article.
  • Options
    wrightcurtiskinseycampbellwentreevesgregoryteestreacymooreandpeacock

rolls of the tongue
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]wrightcurtiskinseycampbellwentreevesgregoryteestreacymooreandpeacock

rolls of the tongue

Subs: Denis Booth & Johnny Keirs