Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
What are we doing wrong with this fella. He's been voted 2nd best player int he division by his peers yet he looks like he couldn't score in a brothel.

Are we playing too much football for him do we need to be a bit more direct.

He's obviously got something in his locker but it's locked away and the key is lost at the moment -

Or should we write him off until next season.

Comments

• Options
    Lack of service.

Its not just him - it's every single one of our strikers at the moment (plus ZZ).
  • Options
    Lack of penetration - as the actress said to the bishop
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

we couldnt get any more direct! are you saying put more Halfords in the team for Pards long ball game?
  • Options
    Burnley played to his strengths as we did Darren Bent, their style of play was to get the ball out to the wide men and feed Gray, We are not doing that, we play our system and in the summer things may change in which the style of play we adopte may suit Gray as well as we need to give the guy time to settle
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

we couldnt get any more direct! are you saying put more Halfords in the team for Pards long ball game?

Heaven forbid Ken - take your point though - When I mean direct I mean like WhenIwasalittleboy said - get the ball out wide early and getting the ball in box early.

Not just lumping it up
  • Options
    Dont think we will ever see the best of him....fully expect him to go back up North in the summer
  • Options
    I don't think I've seen a signing for such relatively big money make absolutely no impression whatsoever.

I can barely remember him having a shot in any game at The Valley.

I'd love to have seen Pardoo's YouTube scouting report on him.
  • Options
    Get Semedo and Bougherra back in the team, plus Moo2 for Halford and we should see more football a la Bristol City.
  • Options
    I'd rather have the one from Sky Sports at the moment. He knew where the goal was! The only man to score a penalty with his head.
  • Options
    He's a decent player at this level, his form at Burnley showed as much, given time he'll be a good signing, just don't think it's worked mid season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's mostly playing a deeper link up role, obviously to instructions, and therefore not leading the line.

You can't dismiss his football ability. He's got a good first touch, brings team mates into the game and lays the ball off well. He's also provided several good goal scoring chances and assists, where we have scored.

But, at Charlton, it's evident that he's not in the right place at the right time to have many scoring chances, which seems a waste.

At Burnley, they played to his strengths. They gave him service and he scored their goals - from open play & dead ball situations. Are we not missing a trick here?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Dont think we will ever see the best of him....fully expect him to go back up North in the summer

Is he allowed to do that as then he'll have played for 3 teams within a year? Or does the rule only apply to within the same season?
  • Options
    i'd rather have taken lisbie back.
    virtually untried at this level, scoring plenty of goals in a team destined for relegation. sounds a bit like varney;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i'd rather have taken lisbie back.
    virtually untried at this level, scoring plenty of goals in a team destined for relegation. sounds a bit like varney;-)

If he wanted to come, taking Lisbie back would have been just the player we need.

Creative, can run with the ball, scoring goals.

Until the Boo Boys picked up where they left off - and destroyed him once again. :o(
  • Options
    he is a journeyman and the fact we paid £1.5 million for him is scandelous
  • Options
    Not his fault Steve.

I always think he has tried everytime he has played and looked good with his touches and link up play. Shame he hasnt scored yet.
  • Options
    I dont buy the theory that he will suddenly turn into a good player.

We should have bought a player that could make the step up, he was a disaster at Prem level and I have seen nothing to suggest he will be better than Iwelumo at this level.
  • Options
    When I've seen him play he's barely touched the ball.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I dont buy the theory that he will suddenly turn into a good player.

We should have bought a player that could make the step up, he was a disaster at Prem level and I have seen nothing to suggest he will be better than Iwelumo at this level.

gotta say im with you when he did have the chance in the premiership he was awful,people used give Lisbie stick well if you compare performances in the prem Lisbie was head and shoulders above gray,which begs the question why pay that amount of money and I'm not a turn coat as i have said it from day one of the season we should never have let lisbie go,personally I always thought he would score goals for us in this division.
  • Options
    oggy mate lisbie is shit in a charlton shirt,hes also going down in hes first year at hes new club,truly awful player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iwelumo+Gray+McCloud+Varney still not better then Lisbie alone
  • Options
    really? on what one season,the worst striker to grace a cafc shirt.
  • Options
    Chris, I think its season based mate.....
  • Options
    Lisbie is talented! other 4 arent

yes probably based on only a few seasons but in the premiership
  • Options
    Lisbie had one good game against (a very poor!) Liverpool, he may have looked good as a youngster breaking through but he never stepped up to the plate in the 1st team - He missed so many sitters!
  • Options
    "Andy score
    Andy score
    Once you score once you'll score more
    We'll sing you assembly
    When we get to Wembley
    So score Andy score"
  • Options
    Once he does score the Upper North (ok me gumbo and Stu maybe Wss or Fod) will erupt into a rousing chrous of 'Andy Gray my lord'