Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strikers

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Struggling to think of a single decent chance that Gray, Lita or Iwelumo had to day - either self-created or provided for them. I thought Thomas had an OK game but the service from him, Ambrose or the innefective ZZ/Cook was non-existent.

I can see for myself now the huge hole that the loss of Reid has opened up.

They battled hard today against a decent Baggies side but any thoughts of play-offs with the current side must be tempered with the fact that we have neither the guile to create chances at the moment or in-form strikers to convert them.

Thought Paddy was absolutely outstanding second half, Sodje, Halford & Thatcher also played well.

Comments

• Options
    Agree.Although others do,i really don't rate Zhi.Runs around a lot but shows no creativity.The rest of the midfield were just as bad i know, but the way people on here go on about Zhi i just cannot see why.

What i wouldn't give for a Zoltan Gera!
  • Options
    What I wouldn't give for an Andy Reid!
  • Options
    the 2 subs (cook and zhi) kept giving the ball away....west brom looked the better side in the last 10 mins and we were lucky to get the point...anyone explain to me why Iwelumo and Gray in the last 10 mins...Gray was shocking
  • Options
    I'm not sure how to rate Gray in this game, he rarely saw the ball & when he did it was above head height with Albrechtsen all over him. I think most strikers would struggle to create from that. We seemed to miss an up & at 'em ball carrier like Parker. Everything was lumped in high from the back or slung over hopefully from the wings - no real purpose or thought.
  • Options
    Can't really fault anyone's effort today, but that extra bit of quality just wasn't there.

I agree with CT that towards the end there only looked like there was going to be one winner, but credit to the defence -and in particular the centre backs - for standing firm.

We're lacking a match winner, and at the moment it is hard to see us turning it around to get into the play-offs.
  • Options
    great post allleft foot spot on effort there quality we haven't got it.im not upset just bemused how pards can spend so much money with so little return manager or players discuss?
  • Options
    We've played worse this season and won. Shows how mad this league is.
  • Options
    shocking........the 3 strikers chosen the play up front today have scored precisely 1 goal between them since xmas.

what was Ilewumo doing in the last minute..........just needed to welly it, but no, we can't have a striker actually have a shot on goal so it was "after you claude" again and the chance was gone.
  • Options
    bdl we didn't have a shot in the second half
  • Options
    Yeah what Iwelumo did in the last minute summed up our season for me - powderpuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when Semedo went off we looked poorer. He didn't have a great game but ZZ was woeful and kept giving ball away. At least Semedo is a presence in midfield. Interesting that another Pardew signing about whom he was raving has gone on loan to Brighton (Racon). Central mid as well why did he give him a chance. I'm confused by Pardew's decisions like he is chopping and changing not knowing what his best team is.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The 3 strikers we had on at various stages today would never have scored, even if we had played until Xmas. There is no spark in this team; there is nothing that gives any indication that we are capable of even getting into the play-offs. I found the whole day pretty flat, uninspiring & very depressing.

We were very lucky to hang onto a point at the end. What happened to that exciting team we had earlier in the season? Blimey, I am just counting down the days now until the whole thing is over for another year. How very, very disappointing.
  • Options
    so am i cant wait until the end
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]shocking........the 3 strikers chosen the play up front today have scored precisely 1 goal between them since xmas.

what was Ilewumo doing in the last minute..........just needed to welly it, but no, we can't have a striker actually have a shot on goal so it was "after you claude" again and the chance was gone.

Yes but problem is the way we play we pump the ball up and attackers are receiving it with their backs to goal thus not really getting a chance to shoot. Lita cannot play like that and needs to be able to run onto the ball. When we did get the ball out wide Thomas would take too long to get it over and by then defenders were all over our forwards. Lita was trying to make runs but Thomas would hold on too long. Dare I say what we need is a Reid type player (even a Murphy !!!!) who could thread the ball thru for forwards to run on to it. That's or biggest problem lack of creativity in central mid. Thought ZZ was poor when he came on by the way.
  • Options
    What do they do on training all week they play like eleven strangers
  • Options
    yer but reidy was injury prone not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    By the way it's not all negative thought Paddy McCarthy was outstanding today.......
  • Options
    superb player of the year.
  • Options
    Agree with you there CT - wish I had a pound for every time I have posted that we would rue the day we let Reidy go.........and a lot on here at the time said it was gone business.

I hope they are happy now.

BTW - Zz has been class for most of the season. Perhaps it is catching up on him as he & Holland have been ever present in our midfield since xmas. i'll allow him 1 bad game in 40.
  • Options
    we need another ten paddys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Agree with you there CT - wish I had a pound for every time I have posted that we would rue the day we let Reidy go.........and a lot on here at the time said it was gone business.

BTW - Zz has been class for most of the season. Perhaps it is catching up on him as he & Holland have been ever present in our midfield since xmas. i'll allow him 1 bad game in 40.

you said it i knew it and agree zz looks knackered.shame i dont think he will behere next season one of the only salable assests.
  • Options
    it's game like this that you have to give credit to the away side and wba are a very difficult team to beat......yawn.
  • Options
    do they want to go up I ask myself
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Agree with you there CT - wish I had a pound for every time I have posted that we would rue the day we let Reidy go.........and a lot on here at the time said it was gone business.

you said it i knew it and agree zz looks knackered.shame i dont think he will behere next season one of the only salable assests.

How?
    Matt Holland plays the holding roll so it is zhi's job to chip in with a few goals and, most importantly ,supply our strikers with some ammo.
    As this thread suggests,our strikers have scored about 5 goals between them so Zheng zhi must take part of the responsibility for this .
  • Options
    how many goals do you expect a central midfield player to score,how many has holland and semedo scored christ almighty!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    we have nothing about us whatsover,with all due respect what does pardew no about portugese players like semedo and french players like racon? has any manager bought worse for charlton?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]how many goals do you expect a central midfield player to score,how many has holland and semedo scored christ almighty!!!!!!!!!!

Untwist your knickers Steve!

It's not so much the goals that bother me but the complete lack of service to the strikers.
  • Options
    I think the problem with our strikers is that they seem to want the ball to sit up perfectly for them before trying a shot. West Brom's, on the other hand, appeared willing to have a go even though conditions for shooting mightn't have been perfect. I don't think its just today, I've seen that a lot this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]I think the problem with our strikers is that they seem to want the ball to sit up perfectly for them before trying a shot. West Brom's, on the other hand, appeared willing to have a go even though conditions for shooting mightn't have been perfect.

One word -

Confidence!

that's all that would change that.
  • Options
    Bit harsh on Cook considering he got 12 minutes.