Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Thoughts...

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
I've always maintained we'll make the playoffs, somehow or other we will come the end of 46 games...

Sodje/McCarthy prevented us from coming away from today with nothing, both excellent imo. I don't like Halford, rather Yassin but that won't happen for some reason :( But I will give Halford credit, he did have a decent game...but I still see nothing in him that would be better than one of our OWN players...

We don't know how to have a pop at goal. Who cares if it goes wide, at least it's an attempt, it's going to go on at least once a season so why not have go...

Semedo went off/ZZ came on and did nothing. We've never seen a Semedo/ZZ partnership, wonder if it would work? Semedo does a very important job for us. I like Matty, but would it be worth giving Semedo his place?

We obviously miss Reid, but I still don't understand why JT plays LW when all he has is a right foot, Ambrose is not a winger and never will be, few times he's played in the hole behind a striker he's been very effective, and believe it or not has the quality at this level; to make a difference imo.

I'd also play Varney up front no matter what, as he runs and is not afraid to have a pop, who partners him is up for discussion but my personal preference would be Iwelumo.

On the way back tonight I was listening to the radio, he said for Charlton, alot of talent but not martialized well enough. Which I agree with.

So for the final 6 games we might as well have a go. Nothing to lose, if we get in the play offs everything to gain. All our remaining games are winnable and I don't fear any of them. Let's go out and have a go and if we manage to sneak into 6th then who knows what will happen...

Comments

• Options
    Varney if fit is a must start for me, preferably with someone else with pace alongside him, I realy rate big Chris but as soon as the poor sod sets foot on the pitch the rest of the side decides its time to launch the ball airborne to him! When we played with McLeod and Varney up top we looked very good and that was without Reid as well. Thatcher has looked very solid since his comeback also
  • Options
    I agree,I watch Ambrose every game and wonder why he s played on the wing.He doesnt have the strength or speed to go past players and get in a cross. He s far more effective behind the forwards. JT never crosses the ball with his left foot and always turns inside. For me Varney has to start, he works harder and creates more than the others have put together. Why he only got 10 mins at ipswich when we were losing 2 0 is baffling. Im sure Gray is a lot better than he has shown so far ,but at the minute he s giving us no goal threat at all. I dont think ive even seen him have a shot yet.
  • Options
    Agree about Varney,hes quick,works hard and not frightened to have a go at goal,would always play him.

Not keen at all with Iwelumo,can't hold the ball up without fouling,wins very little in the air,not good enough for a big fella.

Mcleod not giving enough games IMO too make a fair judgement.
  • Options
    Next season we will have Varney, Gray, Iwelumo, McLeod and Dickson. I really do believe that there are enough goals in that lot to fire us into the playoffs....Surely !
  • Options
    Why? They couldn't do it this season.
  • Options
    I knew someone was gonna see the flaw in my thinking :-)
  • Options
    But strangely ...... they all did it last season.
    But not for us.
  • Options
    Thats sort of what I said but didn`t actually say it.
  • Options
    My missus talks like that, too .....
    LOL!
  • Options
    McLeod - 23
    Varney - 12
    Gray - ?
    Iwelumo - 16
    Dickson - N/A

Is that about right ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McLeod 24 for MK Dons
    Luke Ivan Varney 25 for Crewe( all competitions) 17 in 34 League games
    Iwelumo 18 for Colchester
    Dickson 31 in 35 games for Dulwich Hamlet

Gray scored 25 goals for Burnley in 60 games with them.

From Wiki:
    ".....His 2006–07 season was disrupted by a broken metatarsal, incurred against Leeds United, but both before and after the injury he scored regularly. Burnley's long winless run that season coincided with Gray's absence through injury, demonstrating his importance to the team as a source of goals. He returned towards the end of the 2006–07 season, scoring four goals in three games as Burnley won five of their six last games."

Don't think we can doubt his ability.
  • Options
    Then I was right Oggy...enough goals to get us up next season....just ask your wife ;-)