Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick McCarthy

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Destined to be a Charlton hero. The man deserves a degree of respect and looks like he genuinley give a shit. Captain elect in my eyes, maybe the attitude that he, Varney and Holland display will spread?

Him and Magic will be they key, I twll thee

Comments

• Options
    Fully agree - a legend in the making...
  • Options
    Top class today couple of great interceptions....Captain for next year hopefully.....I like Holland but Paddy is inspirational....
  • Options
    Him AND Sodje were the reason why we didn't lose today. Man Mountains ;)
  • Options
    You mean McCarthorse? Have a look at some of the comments from earlier in the season and not so long ago.

Now I never saw much of his earlier appearances where, by ALL accounts, he was shite. I saw his performance in the last twenty minutes of the match today and he was on top form. But that's football. Players and teams have ability, but things don't always click. And then, all of a sudden, they do

And that's worth remembering before you throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Options
    Looky thats why I started the thread, I remember all the carthorse things and said then (hope I wrote it here) he would come good. Thats also why I rate him as a leader/strong character because if anyone thinks players don't read sites like this they are wrong so the man has shown massive strength to not only come back from Pardew dropping him but all the grief he got on places like this. He is also the first CAFC player to score from a corner in a long while (Stockport fizzy cup)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you Carter at all, more just a general comment to the constant moaners on how player's and teams come good in the right conditions.
  • Options
    Totally got where you were going mate, I was aiming in the same direction. He got a ton of stick after Stoke away and a lot of peoples minds were made up then, since he has been everything I expect of Charlton players (heart, guts, not hiding, and giving a shit) he may be limited pace-wise but Richard Dunne was branded a cackhouse not long ago and now he is one of the better prem centre halves. First name on the team sheet for me along with a fit and functional Varney.
  • Options
    he was at fault for the goal because Phillips was his man BUT He made up for it with 2 tackles in the 2nd half that were absilutely IMMENSE. Make him captain now I say. First name on the teamsheet.
  • Options
    credit where credits due but being at fault for their goal I don't why everyones raving about him.

As for the rest of our 'performance' was shocking, Somedo should have been brought off after 25 mins, clearly having an off day. We were just woeful.
  • Options
    Reserves we must have been at a different game

I didnt see McCarthy at fault for the goal. It was Im afraid a quality finish.

When Semedo came off I thought we really did look second best in midfield. His problem is the number of yellow cards he picks up. I have him inked in as one of our central midfielders at the start of next season. ZZ will go to a prem club and I think Holland will step down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McCarthy had his best game I've seen in a red shirt.

I don't want 'Hero's' and 'Legends', just winners.

He still can't pass 5 yards . . . . but was our best player yesterday.
  • Options
    Happy to eat Humble pie...I thought he was crap when we signed him.....for me lately he has been man of the match in seven out of eight games. Top man, for staying and fighting his way into the team (sic), and playing as well as he has.....if it wasnt for Hollands towering season Paddy would be up there as player of the season
  • Options
    Like I have already said. Paddt for me deserves player of the year. No other player has a better claim in my book.
  • Options
    Its all your fault Oggy....;o)

The first McCarthorse comment
  • Options
    Comment Author Oggy Red Comment Time Aug 18th 2007

"McCarthy - McCarthorse, more like - like watching an oil tanker turning in an estuary. Both stoke goals created through him."

Well, the evidence is there, can't deny.
    But based only on what I saw that day.

After that, in fact, ever since I saw him come on as an early sub v Hull, I've been impressed.
    This is a player who had a diabolical start to his time at Charlton, lost his place in the team but kept his mouth shut and worked hard until he got his chance.

He's since proved he's a dedicated professional - and his performances have shown my initial judgement of him to be completely wrong.

I take my hat off to you, Paddy Mc Carthy.
    You've EARNED everybody's respect.