Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Too much sodding about

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
with the side and too many loanees that are only here to get fit has been our downfall,with the possible exception of Cook and Sodje.

Comments

• Options
    Squad has imho undoubted quality but has just not gelled as a team all season. I expect much better next term.
  • Options
    whyif they cant gel after 40 games what makes you think next year will be any better.Surely they should have performed better as the season went on,we have got worse.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Squad has imho undoubted quality but has just not gelled as a team all season. I expect much better next term.[/quote]

so where is the quality? Thomas and Semedo no doubt, but none of the other starters yesterday. So who do you mean?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Squad has imho undoubted quality but has just not gelled as a team all season. I expect much better next term.

so where is the quality? Thomas no doubt,

Tell me you're joking Ken.
  • Options
    no not joking.

give him some quality to play with and he would be key. ok he looks disinterested at times but would you not be peed off playing with that rubbish around you and being in and out of the team as pardew selects yet another 11 of his tried 35? so many times he plays good little balls for one twos and the other clowns mis control it!
  • Options
    If he was that good he would really stand out in this side.

He doesn't!
  • Options
    he did yesterday! apart from Semedo for his quality and Mccarthy for his endeavour the rest were division 2 quality so no wonder a good player does not look good when his passes and runs are beyond the comprehension of the likes of gray, halford, sodje, thatcher and ambrose. and as for the joke that is the lead footed Iwelumo we wont even go there!
  • Options
    To be honest and only in my opinion ,the team does have some quality,but its all this messing around with the side.

How can a side gel when its constantly being changed.Some players have made a mistake and been dropped for the next game.That messes up the players confidence and stops the team from gelling.

All players make mistakes,if their making constant mistakes of course drop them,but not one or two.
  • Options
    So if we have Such quality in Thomas , Semedo and the 'great' Zeng Zhi why has our midfield come out second best for the majority of the games we have played this season??
  • Options
    Well I agree with you re the midfield comment,we have been outplayed in too many games.

But they are better than that,stoke and palace games for exp.

But as I keep stating changing the side every five minutes does'nt help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boring to keep saying it but every team needs a playmaker who dictates the shape and tempo of a team. We aint got one so the rest of the team is pretty much always unbalanced. Thats the problem imho
  • Options
    Number one priority in the summer is to beg, buy or borrow a midfield general from somewhere.

Someone who can be a fulcrum around which the team works.
  • Options
    Individually I can see the strengths of Holland,ZZ,Ambrose and Thomas.

Collectively I cant, or havent seen it consistently.

So my problem is next year if we do not get promoted (most unlikely).

I think ZZ will go to a higher profile club (not least because of the China commercial aspect)
    Thomas may well go as a fringe premiership squad player.
    Holland I would have thought must be close to standing down.

That would leave Ambrose,Semedo and Sam. The midfield is by far my biggest concern as it is. My hope is that the club will be able to bring in fresh faces in the summer but it will need to be better trading that what we have seen with the strikers.
  • Options
    I certainly cant back up my next comment but I still think our strikers will come good next term. Midfield is the key though.
  • Options
    Agree a fee now with Blackpool and go and buy hollihan
  • Options
    His name keeps cropping up but to be honest I dont really know much about him. What type of player is he ? who is he like ?
  • Options
    A thin reid
  • Options
    Then yes I agree. Go get. Will be stiff competition though surely. We got the money ?
  • Options
    I reckon one of the promoted teams will take Hoolahan from Blackpool, he's quality.
  • Options
    D`oh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we are going to have to get used to not being such an attractive option for new players.

The Management need to get back to that old style of getting in good players eg like Kinsella from Colchester
  • Options
    We still have USA international Cory Gibbs.....Dont forget that
  • Options
    I know others wont agree, but once we know we re going to be in this league next year, I d like to see one or two of the youngsters given their chance like other clubs are doing. It s time to start planning for the future.
  • Options
    I take your point but I suppose thats not likely until Pardew joins the rest of us in realising we are not gonna make the playoffs. What youngsters would you like to see ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I think we are going to have to get used to not being such an attractive option for new players.

The Management need to get back to that old style of getting in good players eg like Kinsella from Colchester

I would guess that's exactly what Pards was trying to do, Peanuts ..... looking for potential diamonds in the sludge of the lower leagues.

Its a gamble though - some come off, dome don't. Some take a little longer to step up.
    I think everything Pards has done in the past 12 months, has been planning for long term future.

But he's also been under pressure for automatic promotion - hence the plethora of loan signings.
    Split focus doesn't help, as we can see with his tinkering of the side recently. At least he owns up to making mistakes.
  • Options
    What we do need to do is work really hard on the scouting front.A year ago hoolihan was playing in the scottish first division.There are players out there and i feel we need to work hard to get them and not take the easy option like we did with andy gray.We need to do what coppell did at Reading accumalate a good squad of players,not necessarily household names.
  • Options
    To be fair to Pardew I think thats pretty much what Pards is trying to do. Gray is hardly a household name and is certainly very highly thought of as a player. The foreigners have been brought in for their potential along with McLeod and Dickson. Takes time for that policy to come good don`t you think.
  • Options
    yer i do mate and in a way the sooner the supporters expectations levels and mine included drop the better.I think that is why the crowd are so restless because really we are underachiving.
  • Options
    I d like to see players like Scott Wagstaff eased into the first team scene, and i think yussuf would offer us something different in midfield. We ve got a few young players doing well in the reserves,so they re not that far off.
  • Options
    i'm undecided re wagstaff i think he needs building up a little.He seems a little lightweight at present i think he would be bullied in this league.