Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd away 1974

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Watching the Football in the 70's series with Denis Waterman, I wondered if we played Man Utd when they dropped to Div. 2 in 74/75 - we were however stuck in Div 3. According to the records though we played away to Utd in the League Cup in 74 & lost 5-1.

Who remembers this? Did anyone go?

Apologies if this has been done before.

Comments

• Options
    I remember it but was young and didn't go. Think Peter Hunt put us in front.
  • Options
    I was there. Typical Charlton, we took the lead but couldn't hold on.
  • Options
    Remember that one well. A lot of covered enders started off in a pub in Eltham High Street and then we found that the coach we had booked would not take us so we had a big rush to Euston to get the train.

Most of us were standing in the Paddock and after we had scored early on found ourselves surrounded and well out-numbered by ManU. The OB moved us on to the pitch and made us stand nearer the Stretford End.

Got thrashed 5-1 in the end, and then had an 'interesting' journey back to the main station. We were put on a train at the station just outside the ground which was unusual. A lot of trouble was envisaged back at Manchester Piccadilly but one of the old faces from Middle Park fronted it and nothing actually happened.

Long trip back on the 'milk' train and arrived at Euston early hours of the morning.
  • Options
    to young to go but remember it
  • Options
    Yep - I was at that match - went up by train in the afternoon and went to a pub right near the ground. Stood in the Stretford End wearing the red charlton satin scarf (I thought the faded CAFC writing looked just like any red and white scarf) but they knew that I was charlton. Had to move away towards the front. When Charlton scored I kind of clapped in a nochanlant way. Luckily we lost 5-1 but on the way out - I left a couple of minutes before the end to find out how to get back to the station - on the bus back I had to put on a phoney northern accent to the bus conductor (I bet that sounded strange to all the northerners cos I am crap at doing accents). Thought it was going to turn nasty at Picadilly station as stonemuse said but it all fizzled out.........and a long trip back to London. Shame I cant remember much about the match but then again I cant remember much about last saturday.
  • Options
    Valley and Stone - did you go on the famous league liner to Brighton, which I think was around 1973 or 74? I think I still have my ticket somewhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Valley and Stone - did you go on the famous league liner to Brighton, which I think was around 1973 or 74? I think I still have my ticket somewhere.

Oh yes I remember that one - didn't last much longer after we used it!

Brighton away used to be one of the highlights of the season in those days. Spent a number of weekends down there including sleeping in beach huts to save money for the beer. Hope they come up next year - will be good to go back again.