Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

arrogance

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
No not Pards but us; we seem to have thought we had a God given right to steam-roller teams in this division and get promoted.

If we can get over the disappointment of not doing this, we should be able to recognise that we have had a massive overhaul of the squad and we now have some very promising young players who could could serve us well for years to come ... Semedo, Racon, Moo2, Ambrose, Varney ... perhaps Basey, Youga and Dickson as well.

Perhaps selling Reidy was a master-stroke by the board to ensure this squad has the time necessary to grow-up before returning to the promised land ;-)

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you on the youngsters we have now, just wish they would be given more chance to play as its the only way they'll get better.

The current squad isn't ready for the Prem as we'd just be next seasons Derby if we make it up this year.
  • Options
    agreed - our arrogance has been astonishing. I must admit I was one of them ,in so much, that I expected us to go straight back up but reality bit me on the ass when I actually thought about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    'Perhaps selling Reidy was a master-stroke by the board to ensure this squad has the time necessary to grow-up before returning to the promised land ;-) '

Yeah like employing Dowie, Mills, Robson, Reed was and look where that got us ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]agreed - our arrogance has been astonishing. I must admit I was one of them ,in so much, that I expected us to go straight back up but reality bit me on the ass when I actually thought about it.
    Ditto - I did expect us to finish top 2.
  • Options
    i wouldn't call it arrogance , i'd call it realistic expectations when you think of the money spent on players coming in and the sub standard league we're in(the 3 that go up this season will score the lowest ever points in the prem combinedfor 3 new teams imo)
    at the beginning of the season i didn't expect much but when the non quality of the opposition became apparent and we showed some reasonable form early season (when the players were just getting used to each other) it thought the longer the season went on the stronger we would grow as a team but we have gone backwards at an alarming rate as the season progressed...
    if we hold on to ambrose and varney i'll be happy not too impressed by the other youngsters but time will tell
    we might have missed a golden opportunity for promotion this year and i fear that next season the league will be tougher than this
    anyway 9 straight wins from now on in and we're up!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the sub standard league we're in

Bingo! There's the arrogance.
  • Options
    I think this League has an appalling lack of quality and that's the reason why it's so tight. If teams were playing decent football i'd understand any arguments about arrogance but the style of football that i've seen in the vast majority is what i expect of League 1 and below and despite all the changes to the squad i'm still shocked we're not in the top two.
  • Options
    do you think 'lookout' the 3 teams promoted this season will fair better than any other 3 promoted teams in recent seasons... yeah derby have been crap but birm and sund have done ok ... the combined premiership points from this years promoted teams next season will be the worst ever.... charity bet to demeleza if anyone thinks it wont be
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]despite all the changes to the squad i'm still shocked we're not in the top two.

ditto
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]do you think 'lookout' the 3 teams promoted this season will fair better than any other 3 promoted teams in recent seasons... yeah derby have been crap but birm and sund have done ok ... the combined premiership points from this years promoted teams next season will be the worst ever.... charity bet to demeleza if anyone thinks it wont be

totally agree with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Oohahh said 100%
  • Options
    I must admit that for all the stories I read about the Championship being a tough league to get out of, I didn't really believe it - I always thought "yeah, but we're Charlton..."! I believe it now all right. The silver lining is that if we had got promoted this season (and I am assuming we won't) then the pasting which we would have got next year could have set us back a couple of years!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Agree Lookout.

Oooahh, What makes you think that our team should be better than any of the other teams in this league? yes granted, there is a huge difference in wages, between us and half of the league, but we were an established premier league club, and therefore we could pay these wages and make promises to players as we hoped to return to the premiership (note the word is hope!)
    As our focus is on our side, we know our players well, and I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the other top 8 teams currently in the Championship, so I wouldn't assume that we 'should' be better than them. remember some of them are on 2,3 or 5 or so year plans to get promoted and have been steadily achieving greater things year on year, we're on a blip, we were relegated and lost some of our best players, lost our confidence, but still hoped that things would be ok.

Ok, so it turns out we're not as good as we had aspirations to be, and this league is open, exciting and inconsistent. I think to say it is substandard is mightily unfair. The same could be said for the bottom 12 of the Premiership?

You've been spoilt ooahh and you're expecting too much - too soon.
  • Options
    But can you look at the FA Cup semis and still say it is a substandard league??
    Inconsistent mayeb.
  • Options
    I felt that earlier in the season Suzi.

In hindsight though, i'm erring towards the oohaah camp.

I don't agree with some of the reasons given, but we have underperformed. Badly.

It can be dressed up under various guises, but there can be no doubting that fact.
  • Options
    I dont agree with this arrogance lark but I do expect to see a certain amount of professionalism in organisation and skill level. than that being played in my local park. Charlton have been sub-standard to the level of sunday football at times of which there is no excuse. That is not arrogance but my expectation for wanting to see some value for money, which doesnt include an automatic right of promotion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]do you think 'lookout' the 3 teams promoted this season will fair better than any other 3 promoted teams in recent seasons... yeah derby have been crap but birm and sund have done ok ... the combined premiership points from this years promoted teams next season will be the worst ever.... charity bet to demeleza if anyone thinks it wont be

and you think half of the birmingham highly paid players will stay there? or sunderland for that matter?
  • Options
    I do think though that players have tried, everyone comments on how they don't try, last season, they were a team of wasters, jimmy not running etc, this year, they have tried, and I don't think the players can be blamed for trying, when they're playing with different people week in week out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]But can you look at the FA Cup semis and still say it is a substandard league??
    Inconsistent mayeb.

I reckon top teams no longer care as much about the FA Cup as the CL and PL are now much more sought after.
  • Options
    I just can't buy into this side not putting in a shift, they've done it pretty much all season, and the list of very poor perfomances is a short one.

We're not even playing badly at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My main gripe with the season so far is that so many teams have taken 1 or 3 points and not had to play even close to a decent standard. with the style of league we're in we would have scored more and been higher up the table if we just constantly lumped it to Big Chris and Gray. I don't want to see this happen though and think we'll get it right once we settle a regular 11.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I reckon top teams no longer care as much about the FA Cup as the CL and PL are now much more sought after.
    So how come one of the "big 4" (and I'm not talking about giraffes, lions, hippos and elephants) has always won it for the last nine or ten years? Indeed the final has often been two of them.

Going off at a tangent though, the FA Cup winners should get the second CL place - at least they have won something rather than come 4th!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    I reckon top teams no longer care as much about the FA Cup as the CL and PL are now much more sought after.
    So how come one of the "big 4" (and I'm not talking about giraffes, lions, hippos and elephants) has always won it for the last nine or ten years? Indeed the final has often been two of them.

Because the BIG 4 have the resources to win everything. The FA Cup is leagues behind the CL and PL for teams that compete in all three.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I reckon top teams no longer care as much about the FA Cup as the CL and PL are now much more sought after.

Going off at a tangent though, the FA Cup winners should get the second CL place - at least they have won something rather than come 4th!

I agree it would give much more importance back to the competition but can you really see that happening.
  • Options
    I think that the biggest disappointment has been the fact that we would only need about 80 points to go up automatically. When we won the play-offs we finished 4th on 88 points and this still included a few away pastings (Forest and Sheffield United spring to mind). I wonder if we had realised this earlier on in the season whether we would have approached things differently, i.e Reid, Loans, Formations, Tactics etc.
  • Options
    i think we should be doing better in the league cos we have spent/paid more and invested more than anyone else in our playing squad, yeah we have sold some quality players but we really should be doing better....
    this is the first time we have been in a league and been the biggest spenders and had nigh on the biggest home gates
    i get accused of being pessimistic and expecting the worst to happen
    now the worst has happened/is happening i'm being accused of expecting too much
    ffs we have underperformed FACT

with regard to sunderland/birmingham/derby i am saying they went up last year and are a lot stronger than anything that will go up this season..
    the 3 promoted teams this year will be the WORST 3 TEAMS PROMOTED TO THE PREMIERSHIP since it's inception
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]with regard to sunderland/birmingham/derby i am saying they went up last year and are a lot stronger than anything that will go up this season.the 3 promoted teams this year will be the WORST 3 TEAMS PROMOTED TO THE PREMIERSHIP since it's inception
    Thats what people said when Wigan and Reading went up in the same season - didnt work out like that though did it?

Football is unpredictable as this year has shown in both our league and the FA Cup
  • Options
    Agree 100% oohaah, wise words
  • Options
    how many points did wigan and reading go up on... i don't know but i'm pretty sure it'll be more than this years champions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]how many points did wigan and reading go up on... i don't know but i'm pretty sure it'll be more than this years champions
    So the league has got more competitive then?

:-)