Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray doubtful

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
For all those who thank Andy Gray is useless and not worth his place - from the OS:

"In terms of team news, Andy Gray is a major doubt after suffering a broken nose in the draw
with West Brom.

That could see either Luke Varney, who featured for 45 minutes for the reserves on his comeback from a minor foot injury on Tuesday, or Chris Iwelumo partner Leroy Lita, who extended his loan at Charlton until the end of the season on Thursday."

Comments

• Options
    oh goody....out for the season then eh Oggy ;-)
  • Options
    Might be, Tel ..... but I doubt it ;o)

OS says a bit more:

"ZiZi and Madjid are both OK but Andy Gray got a nasty blow to the face and broke his nose," Pardew confirmed.

"We'll monitor him between now and Saturday but I cannot take a gamble, and I will choose someone else if I don't think he's 100 per cent."

Pards 'cannot take a gamble' so draw your own conclusions .....?
  • Options
    Has Gray been 100% since he joined us then? Did I miss his goals? ;-)

lol
  • Options
    Varney & Lita works for me.

Pace, running, intelligence

If only we had a midfielder who could pick a pass!
  • Options
    Dont like to see Charlton players injured but....

Back to basics on Saturday for me, Iwelumo and Varney up front. Iwelumo has made things happen last couple of game from the bench.

Lita can come on if we are struggling.
  • Options
    I think we need to lay off Gray a little he is five times the footballer big chris will ever be!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I think we need to lay off Gray a little he is five times the footballer big chris will ever be!!

agreed Gray offers alot more his first few games Stoke and Palace i thought he linked up the play really well he has come to a new team who for whatever reason his not performing it is going to take him time to settle. I think we really need to wait until Oct time next season until we judge.
  • Options
    Chris Iwi is a joke of a player...I hate seeing him warm up on a saturday with the dread in my stomach of a half decent player like Varney, Lita or Gray coming of for him. Last week i just could not understand Pards decision to put two giants up front leaving us lacking in pace, and of course making us one dimensional. The only thing that he could have been thinking was Iwi could defend set pieces. The sad thing about it all is to get out of this league you need someone big strong and powerful up front but Iwi is far from that. He needs to punch his weight!!!
  • Options
    Big Chris will score enough goals if you give him enough service.
    And that doesn't include our defence lumping the ball vaguely in his direction, 30 yards out with his back to goal surrounded by 3 defenders.
  • Options
    Agreed that Gray is a much better player than Iwelumo, but he hasn't settled yet.
    Perhaps it is a bit like Benty at Spurs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can you call a player that is one of our top scorers a joke of a player? That is total rubbish! If it wasn't for him we'd be even further away from the playoffs than we are now, with last minute goals against Southampton and Bristol City. Granted his not the most technically gifted of strikers but you can never say he's not trying, to say he's a joke of a player is just idiotic!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]I think we really need to wait until Oct time next season until we judge.
    gotta disagree r&c.
    we paid £1.5m for a 30 year old striker who was top scorer at his club.
    paying that sort of money for that sort of player, i'd expect him to hit the ground running.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]I think we really need to wait until Oct time next season until we judge.[/cite]
    [cite]

gotta disagree r&c.
    paying that sort of money for that sort of player, i'd expect him to hit the ground running.[/cite]
    Spurs played £16m for a 23 year old striker who was top scorer at his club and he didn't hit the ground running either.
  • Options
    But was he ever given a run in the side? No.....

Gray has never been prolific, never will be, it was a knee jerk signing to try and replace Todarov in that holding the ball up role....trouble with Gray is that he has his back to goal, but cant turn it and doesnt have the skill of Toddy. And I think quite a few of his goals this season have been penalties....not sure where to check but I thought Id read that 6-7 of his 13 had been from the spot. Quite happy to eat my hat if Gray becomes a world beater and top striker in the future, but I think Im safe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]I think we really need to wait until Oct time next season until we judge.
    gotta disagree r&c.
    paying that sort of money for that sort of player, i'd expect him to hit the ground running.

he cant help the pirce tag paid for him, cant say i was over joyed when he signed but he has and i think we need to give him time before we get on his back.
  • Options
    Burnley played to his strengths - and this season got 13 goals out of him in 20 matches.

Maybe Pards has to think along those lines?

Hey, Pards - get out those old Burnley videos you were watching when you made your mind up to sign Gray.
    They may tell you just how to get the best from him. ;o)
  • Options
    Don't thionk Pards has any need to grab any Burnley videos, just needs to look at the valley video when they played us to see the sort of service gray can score from, although it helps when he has a static defence to play against. as for Big Chris, hje's played hard for us, scored more goals than the rest of our forwards and the only player from Charlton to have picked up a player of the month award, limited ability he may have but he puts in the effort and has had an effect in a lot of the games he has played in. If thats a joke well I am happy to keep laughing.
  • Options
    And to be fair - Big Chris has only played 2 or 3 consecutive games since New Year.

You can't build consistancy like that!
  • Options
    Iwelumo is a decent championship striker. It is not his fault that the team lump the ball skywards when he is on the pitch.

Pardew needs to tell them to play to feet. Iwelumo is reasonable on the ground as he showed with his goals against Sheffield Wednesday.

At the risk of being harangued for daring to criticise Pardew the problem is not the player but the tactics employed when that player is on the pitch.
  • Options
    If we went down the wings and cross the balls ACROSS to Iwelumo he would win the headers and score running ONTO the ball.

Running backwards trying to head the ball after it being pumped 100ft into the air while a similar sized to defender is running forward will always win the ball more.

Play to the guys strengths for goodness sake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best news iv heard for a long time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If we went down the wings and cross the balls ACROSS to Iwelumo he would win the headers and score running ONTO the ball.

Running backwards trying to head the ball after it being pumped 100ft into the air while a similar sized to defender is running forward will always win the ball more.

Like he did for the winners against Southampton and Bristol City.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcjosh[/cite]Chris Iwi is a joke of a player.
    Sorry Josh, I TOTALLY disagree with that. As said above, if you play to the guy's strengths he will score goals. I really like the guy & you have to respect the effort he puts in every week.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This is where our wingers really fail us.

Nobody takes the ball to the byeline now. Against Southampton, Varney went bombing down the wing and rifled over the cross from near the corner flag, Iwelumo just had to get his head in the way for it to go in.

Against Bristol City away, Any Reid broke down the left wing, outstripped his man for pace (I kid thee not!) and from wide of the box, floated over an early cross in FRONT of Iwelumo to run onto and a bullet header into the net.

So, Lesson 1 for Charlton wingers: get the ball to the line and whip it back across the face of the goal.
    Lesson 2: If you are going to put over an early cross, put it in FRONT of the man steaming in at the far post.

Both are nigh on impossible to defend without panic.
    And Big Chris' good movement off the ball invariably ensures he's in the right place at the right time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]Best news iv heard for a long time.

Someone having their nose broke was the best news you've heard for a long time?

You must live a very, very shelterd life.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If we went down the wings and cross the balls ACROSS to Iwelumo he would win the headers and score running ONTO the ball.

Exactly the same things were being said about Shaun Bartlett a few seasons ago.
  • Options
    Very sheltered Stu,comes in handy in weather like today tho ;-)
  • Options
    Or maybe i should feel sorry for the geezer.......NOT!
  • Options
    Cant see how anbody could Criticise Iwelumo....as others have said the service is poor.....the guy always puts in a good shift. Hope we have Varney on the wing tomorrow...he looks really effective there.
  • Options
    Rather big Chris than Gray all day long.