Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rebuilding

Putting the Reid argument aside, of the ten possible outfield players, we have had Thomas, Ambrose, Holland, Fortune, Bougerra, ZZ & Sam from our Premiership side with Sankofa as an obvious contender this year, all available for selection most of the year. So the only area for significant change was the forwards, where we already had the promising Dickson, the option to keep big Bent and spent £4m on two rated scorers from lower leagues, additionally Toddy & big Chris on a free. Another £1.5m in the window also.

OK, some of these forwards had bad luck with injuries, but I’d say their collective failure to score regularly had more to do with a lack of coherent pattern of play than anything else. The reason for us underperforming is not the huge upheaval on the squad, but the lack of consistent selection or game plan and Pardew's desire to use everyone in one of the biggest & expensive squads in the CCC. That's why our current predicament is such a disappointment.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]but the lack of consistent selection or game plan and Pardew's desire to use everyone in one of the biggest & expensive squads in the CCC. That's why our current predicament is such a disappointment.
    Nail on head in my opinion.

Players must be crapping themselves as if they don't score/perform impeccably one week then they are totally out of the squad the week after.
  • Options
    Loss of Todorov was a big blow, and keeping Marcus Bent would have payed dividends.
  • Options
    i agree salad, M.bent was best player on the pitch at home to scunny. think he'd be a very good player in this league.
  • Options
    He didnt want to be here and if we continued paying his wages then we would have been a lot worse off i think.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent walked out at Sheffield Wednesday making his position untenable
  • Options
    I think his pre-season comments suggested he did want to stay and also that he was focussed fully on his football.
  • Options
    I dont really think keeping Marcus was an option. After relegation all the high earners had to go.Hence the mass clearout.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent said all the right things pre season and looked like he didnt give a shite on the pitch
  • Options
    Bent was always going to appeal to one of the Prems lesser lights and he was not commited to anyone other than himself. Can anyone honestly say that he gave a sh1t at any time in his Charlton career ?