Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cory Gibbs

Surprised not to see him on the bench yet, given he must be reasonably fit now. With Thatcher not offering much going forward and Youga seen as too risky, perhaps he could be eased in at left-back before trying him at centre half. He is a US international after all. I expect Magic to come in next match with his pace and I would like to see a Gibbs/Boughera partnership before the season ends. With Arter injured I'd like to see Shelvey as well, and perhaps Montiero, but we may have to wait until play-offs are mathematically impossible.

Comments

• Options
    You won't see ShelveY
  • Options
    or gibbs
  • Options
    Pards has to give Cory a run out last game od the season Come on Pards you know you wanna
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You won't see ShelveY

Why not, Ledge?
  • Options
    Because Pards sees him as an integral part of the ballboy team and does not want to risk that
  • Options
    Gibbs has had more managers than games. :-0
  • Options
    gibbs has had more weeks pay than touches of the ball (including in training)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You won't see ShelveY

Why not, Ledge?

Come on Weegie, the lads only just turned 16. One for the future for sure though - reminds me of Lee Lee Lee Bowyer.
  • Options
    What will happen with him
    Anyone know how long he has on his contract?

Will we off load him in case he gets injured again or stick with him and see what happens
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]What will happen with him
    Anyone know how long he has on his contract?

Will we off load him in case he gets injured again or stick with him and see what happens

Contract up this summer.

Feel for him as has been so unlucky with injuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who's responsible for him signing for us andrew mills???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]who's responsible for him signing for us andrew mills???

Curbs. Deal was lined up under him.
  • Options
    He was signed on a free - though that probably means inflated wages too....
  • Options
    Like alot of Charlton fans nobody knows how good Gibbs is and that is not his fault due to the many injuries he has suffered since being at the club. However, i still found it starnge that we signed a player at the time when we had no manager in place. Curbs may have lined the deal up, but no manager was in the place when he actually signed.
  • Options
    Weegie

because Pards doesn't think he is ready for 1st team YET
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]Like alot of Charlton fans nobody knows how good Gibbs is and that is not his fault due to the many injuries he has suffered since being at the club. However, i still found it starnge that we signed a player at the time when we had no manager in place. Curbs may have lined the deal up, but no manager was in the place when he actually signed.

I don't know how far the deal had gone. There may have been a pre-contract agreement or maybe the club decided to go through with a deal that had "half done" on the departing managers recommendation rather than miss out on a bargain.

It was a free transfer and he was a US international due to fly off to the world cup (and the US of A were ranked in the top ten teams in the world at the time).

I blame Peter Varney. He's had far too easy a ride since annoucing he's leaving and needs to be blamed more often for things. Once he's gone I think everything will be his fault for a least 18 months.
  • Options
    probably the biggest waste of money transfer by us ever (and that's up against some stiff competition !)......not his fault obviously, but I doubt we'll ever see him play in the first team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]probably the biggest waste of money transfer by us ever (and that's up against some stiff competition !)......not his fault obviously, but I doubt we'll ever see him play in the first team.

Not by a long chalk. Free transfer and two years wages which I doubt are that high as he came from a European club where wages are lower.

I would say that, IMHO, just about all of Dowie's signings (other than Reid) were bigger wastes. Faye, Traore, Pouso, Diawara, Walton etc, etc.

Been a few other shockers down the years as well that I'd count before Gibbs.
  • Options
    I did not make any reference to Peter Varney being at fault for the signing of Cory Gibbs. I was just making the point that signing a player when no manager is in place is a strange policy as the incoming manager may not rate that player and not include him in any of his long term plans.
  • Options
    peter varney is the new andrew mills
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]I did not make any reference to Peter Varney being at fault for the signing of Cory Gibbs. I was just making the point that signing a player when no manager is in place is a strange policy as the incoming manager may not rate that player and not include him in any of his long term plans.

It was a joke Amos about Varney. I hear his PA scans this board every day for remarks about him which he logs in a big black book ;- )

Wasn't around when the deal was done but as I said above may already have been a "done deal" or too good an opportunity to miss.

New managers coming in may or may not rate any of the players they inherit. That's the same everywhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]probably the biggest waste of money transfer by us ever (and that's up against some stiff competition !)......not his fault obviously, but I doubt we'll ever see him play in the first team.

Not by a long chalk. Free transfer and two years wages which I doubt are that high as he came from a European club where wages are lower.

I would say that, IMHO, just about all of Dowie's signings (other than Reid) were bigger wastes. Faye, Traore, Pouso, Diawara, Walton etc, etc.

Been a few other shockers down the years as well that I'd count before Gibbs.

Free transfer = big signing on fee and 2 years wages on a bloke who has pretty much been permanently injured and NEVER played a first team game ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    Free transfer = big signing on fee and 2 years wages on a bloke who has pretty much been permanently injured and NEVER played a first team game ?
    A decent majority of those wages will probably have been picked-up by the insurance company (+ hopefully some from the USA FA)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Weegie

because Pards doesn't think he is ready for 1st team YET

That's fine - only asking as didn't want to think he's being tapped up by someone else...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    A decent majority of those wages will probably have been picked-up by the insurance company (+ hopefully some from the USA FA)

Does anyone know if this is true ?
  • Options
    True? Don't be silly AFKA. This Forum's about opinion, speculation, rumour and conjecture. Fact does not come into it. FACT

However, I can say, based on nothing but gut feeling, that it is true.
  • Options
    If Curbs got him Gibbs will have something about him, rather like Youga who Pards wanted to bin!

Give Gibbs a go Pards and then you can claim the credit for finding another good player!
  • Options
    Gibbs has got to feel he's match fit first. The one thing that we'll get a player a new injury is not being in 'condition' sufficiently to physically compete under pressure.

He's not played proper competitive football for 2 years - so he'll want to feel his body is ready first.