Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hangover cure

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]fruit smoothie

(Club) Tropicana drinks (smoothies) are free from Chancery Lane tube station this morning

They was rather nice as well.
  • Options
    Berocca, brussell, tea, wank, toast, brussell.

better
  • Options
    mug of lukewarm water and squeeze half a lemon.

being doing every day for last month.

works wonders for ur kidneys and liver
  • Options
    Bump! need today, also heavy weekend so any ideas would be grateful
  • Options
    Indigo - its a fruit energy drink. Haven't been able to find it in any shops for years but was one of old offices cure of choice by practically everyone.
  • Options
    5 Simple steps.....

1. A bunk up....or if single/minging bird/frigid bird, a w*nk.
    2. A shower....use Mint Source shower gel...livens you up.
    3. A fry up....plenty of eggs.
    4. A still Lucozade.
    5. Couple of headache tablets.

If you still feel rough, then a beer.
  • Options
    Drink a pint or two of water before you go to sleep.
  • Options
    A salt and vinegar crisp sandwich.
  • Options
    The best thing for a Hangover is.............

Drinking heavilly the night before.
  • Options
    full english breakfast and a pint of guinness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tooth brush in to the back of your throat followed by an Alkaseltza. Works like a charm!

If possible the sea breeze or a lie in.
  • Options
    Getting back ON IT.
  • Options
    From what I know (toxicology background):

1. If you walk home from the pub/wherever you will increase the rate at which you metabolize the booze (ethanol) and your liver will have detoxified more of it before you crash out. Obviously, it depends whether this is feasible or not. You probably won't fancy walking home from Covent Garden to Bexley, or wherever, and that is perfectly understandable!
    2. When you get home & right before you go to bed, drink as much water as you can stand. This really is one of the most crucial factors in my experience - it helps if you aren't prone to nocturia (waking up, needing a slash in the night) but fighting dehydration is the critical factor when it comes to having your head in a shed in the morning, or not.
    3. Posts talking about sugar and salt are bang on the money. My personal tip is diarolyte, which are rehydration salts available from chemists which contain citrate salts and glucose which really helps. The trouble is that sometimes, despite drinking loads of water in the morning, you still feel thirsty. This is due to decreased absorption of water across the lower intestine due to an electrolyte imbalance. Whoever said that full fat coke and salt and vinegar crisps were a good idea is just about right. Any variations on this theme will work.
    4. Plus eggs...strangely they work due to their high sulphur containing amino acid (cysteine, methionine) content. These are constituents of glutathione (GSH),which is a vital detoxifying peptide especially rich in the liver. Amongst other things, it combats the oxidative stress (free radicals) generated by ethanol detoxification and will put a stop to nasty chemical reactions happening all over the body. By drinking, GSH is depleted and it needs the building blocks (cysteine, glutamate, glycine) for it to be produced again. The latter 2 amino acids are easily produced by transamination (creation of 'in demand' amino acids from common ones in the liver), but cysteine (which can also be produced from methionine) needs to come from the diet. Fried egg sandwiches all round!

Sorry for the waffling....but hopefully this will help.
  • Options
    Don't stop drinking....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Don't stop drinking....

lol unfortunately im working today so had to

[cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]From what I know (toxicology background):

1. If you walk home from the pub/wherever you will increase the rate at which you metabolize the booze (ethanol) and your liver will have detoxified more of it before you crash out. Obviously, it depends whether this is feasible or not. You probably won't fancy walking home from Covent Garden to Bexley, or wherever, and that is perfectly understandable!
    2. When you get home & right before you go to bed, drink as much water as you can stand. This really is one of the most crucial factors in my experience - it helps if you aren't prone to nocturia (waking up, needing a slash in the night) but fighting dehydration is the critical factor when it comes to having your head in a shed in the morning, or not.
    3. Posts talking about sugar and salt are bang on the money. My personal tip is diarolyte, which are rehydration salts available from chemists which contain citrate salts and glucose which really helps. The trouble is that sometimes, despite drinking loads of water in the morning, you still feel thirsty. This is due to decreased absorption of water across the lower intestine due to an electrolyte imbalance. Whoever said that full fat coke and salt and vinegar crisps were a good idea is just about right. Any variations on this theme will work.
    4. Plus eggs...strangely they work due to their high sulphur containing amino acid (cysteine, methionine) content. These are constituents of glutathione (GSH),which is a vital detoxifying peptide especially rich in the liver. Amongst other things, it combats the oxidative stress (free radicals) generated by ethanol detoxification and will put a stop to nasty chemical reactions happening all over the body. By drinking, GSH is depleted and it needs the building blocks (cysteine, glutamate, glycine) for it to be produced again. The latter 2 amino acids are easily produced by transamination (creation of 'in demand' amino acids from common ones in the liver), but cysteine (which can also be produced from methionine) needs to come from the diet. Fried egg sandwiches all round!

Sorry for the waffling....but hopefully this will help.

Cheers mate thanks for the help, see my trick has always been lucozades and fry up, today my bacon baguette was too skanky to make a difference

One i used to do but haven't in a while is Beroca orange tablets which i think i may get a pack for the weekend and try to drink some water when i get in, last time i went bognor weekend i only got about 2 hours kip on average each night and dealt with it fine, but i dont go out as much as i did then, all fun and games though!
  • Options
    I tried Berocca once and don't think it helped in the slightest....others may disagree though.

There certainly does seem to be a craving for fry-ups etc after boozing - maybe it's just because it's comfort food and it can make you feel just a bit better when you feel like utter crap!

One thing for sure - recovering from a hangover gets harder as you get older!
  • Options
    Drink a couple of pints of water before you go to bed. If you can remember, which is the difficult bit.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink...when they wake up, that's the best they're gonna feel all day - Dean Martin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]One thing for sure - recovering from a hangover gets harder as you get older!
    I've had friends saying that and they're only 22/23.
  • Options
    Bigstemerra, very interesting post. I'll update you on the morning how successful your advice is. Smashed
  • Options
    Hopefully thid burger king will give me a heads up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've melowed ever so slightly

Tea is essential, Berrocca also, steer clear of macca dee's unless you want to fill your pants. Fry up works to a degree, but if you stick to a few brews and a handful of ibroprofen & paracetemol with your berocca pill you won't go far wrong.

Echinacea pills are good stuff too, especially uselful if you are doing a double header
  • Options
    i just had this image of brunello trying all of these at once, and his boss coming abck to his desk and seeing smoothies, fry ups, ibruprofen, water, mars bars, pies, lucozade, whilst having sex in a sauna eating a packet of berocca and reading a newspaper on his way to the pub....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I've melowed ever so slightly

Tea is essential, Berrocca also, steer clear of macca dee's unless you want to fill your pants. Fry up works to a degree, but if you stick to a few brews and a handful of ibroprofen & paracetemol with your berocca pill you won't go far wrong.

Echinacea pills are good stuff too, especially uselful if you are doing a double header

I hate the saying but i literally choked on my tea when reading that. You have a way with words Carter.
  • Options
    todays is up there with one of the worst known to man I think, I didn't think it was possible to feel this rough....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]todays is up there with one of the worst known to man I think, I didn't think it was possible to feel this rough....

You're not the only one mate. This is shocking. The worst was waking up an knowing there was no way on earth I'd get away with a sickie.
  • Options
    couple of cans of special brew at lunchtime and you'll be rocking again
  • Options
    I don't get as many hangovers as I used to (mainly because I don't drink as much as I used to, and when i do, I know how to pace myself better), but some of the advice on this thread is absolutely spot on. I've found the three things that really help me (I used to suffer terribly with hangover headaches, not so much puking, just headaches) are:
    1 - Walking home. If not all the way home because you;re too far away, even getting off the night bus three or four stops early or getting the cab to drop you off a few roads away from your front door
    2 - Eating during the session (stodgy food is best - the Germans really know how to do it - go to munich and watch them beer it up, there's always a plate of potatoes and meat knocking around) and eating salty foods when you wake up to replenish nutrients lost. Anchovies are AWESOME for this.
    3 - The most important by far - WATER BEOFRE BEDTIME. Two pints is best (depending on your bladder capacity obviously). This has made the biggest difference for me - I used to roll in and just collapse. Big mistake. Now, unless I have more than seven or eight pints, provided I drink a couple of pints of water before bed I'm generally fine the next morning.

Interestingly, I have found a nice cut-off point - if I have up to eight pints, provided I drink water and walk some of the way home I'm good to go next day. Anything more than that and no amount of water, walking or stodgy food makes any difference. That hasn't changed for about 15 years now.
  • Options
    I ate yesterday, straight after the game after sinking quite a few during the game, then went to a mates house for more beer and ate more there too! so whilst i dont have a hangover at all today i have gained 3lb in weight!!
  • Options
    Great advice Leroy but how the hell do you manage 2 pints of water before bed after drinking 7-8 pints of beer, you must have one strong bladder fella.
  • Options
    Water in the morning is essential too.

Don't gulp it down though unless you want to make yourself sick sober, which is a very nasty sensation