Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Definately an "I was there game" - +++My Player Ratings & Comments+++

WSSWSS
edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Just got back from Plymouth, excellent journey both there and back and a big thank you to Medders for his driving.

Anyway onto the game. It was a committed, gutsy and brilliant performance by the team today. Anyone who thinks these players don't care are wrong, maybe results have not gone our way in recent games, maybe the quality is not there that we hoped for but these was a proper Charlton perrformance, with a dream result. The players cared, they showed the fans their cared at the end by taking off their shirts and giving them to the crowd.

For 90+ minutes today I felt the link between Charlton supporter and Charlton team that I may have missed over a number of games these season and last. We were all in it together. Superb performance from the players.

Nicky Weaver - 0/10
You bloody idiot - you are just lucky that the 10 guys left on the pitch saved your blushes.

Rob Elliot - 8/10
Debut. Great display from the youngster. Looked nervous at crosses and flapped a couple of times but pulled of a decent save from a free kick and then a world class save at the death. Has a monster kick, if sometimes erratic. To be honest though, had very little to do.

Greg Alfordi - 8/10
Good game. No real threat from the Plymouth left, and he was regularly playing both right back and right wing when we went to 3 in midfield. Great cross for Lita's first goal and linked up well with Matty Holland at times.

Ben Thatcher - 7/10
Had difficulty with the wind and his licence to get forward was restricted by the sending off and Teale seemed to get the ball a lot. Assured performance.

Paddy McCarthy - 8/10
Captain of the future. Had a few problems with Easter's pace by again looked a lot more comfortable once Bougy once on the pitch. Won the majority of headers and through his body in front of anything heading his way.

Sam Sodje - 6/10
His anticipation was a bit erratic, and with the win meant he missed a few headers, getting a broken toe from winning a header is a true skill though. Good hobble around the pitch. Replaced by Magic.

Madjid Bougherra - 8/10
Played like he has not been away. No doubt in my mind that him and Paddy is the way forward. Assured on the ball, brings it out of defence and takes pressure off of Semedo/Holland. Even managed a forward foray and a decent header that just went over. Welcome back Magic.

Lee Cook - n/a
Erm.

Zheng Zhi - 7/10
Not his best performance out on the "wing". Got riled by their right back and I thought he was going to go all Bruce Lee. Comfortable on the ball though and was a constant threat on the counter attack.

Jose Semedo - 8/10
Good performance, many committed tackles without his customary craziness. Was a vital cog in keeping Plymouth attack at bay. Broke and play and started our attacks on a number of occasions.

Matt Holland - 9/10
Captain Magnificent. Whoever says Matty offers nothing to us is mental. He was every where today, made tackles, intelligent passing, played in every position in the midfield with great composure. Kept the team together after the sending off, was talking to all the players all of the time and "geeing them up". Would have had a goal if he had the legs as well. Much deserved poty award if it happens in my opinion.

Leroy Lita - 9/10
What we have been missing. Two goalscorer goals, in the right place and the right time. Don't think we can keep him but his instinct and skill could fire us into the playoffs. Like many others, played in two positions, he was on the right wing when we defended and tracked back admirably and was in the thick of everything going forward, won us free kicks, scored from them. Maybe should have had a hat trick. No orange boots, blue ones.

Chris Iwelumo - 9/10
This guy is superb. He is 100% committed to the cause, was involved in both the goals, won many headers in defence and kept running until his legs fell off. This guy is seriously underated. My man of the match. Replaced by Varney.

Luke Varney - 6/10
Looked sluggish a bit "confused" when he came on. Seemed to have lost a couple of yards of pace. Probably should have wrapped it up with a third goal.

Overall it was a great day out, shame there was no space to move around in the away end to get a decent atmosphere constant but the nature of the game meant everyone was pretty excited with 30mins or so to go.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Options
    Great report, thanks WSS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He is 100% committed to the cause, was involved in both the goals, won many headers in defence and kept running until his legs fell off.

did he give his legs away at the end of the game as well as his shirt? :)
  • Options
    Good stuff WSS and well done the players.Good to hear Matty Holland is still noticed by some.Also fair play to you and the rest of the travelling fans today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]Good to hear Matty Holland is still noticed by some
    He is noticed and respected by his team-mates and that was obvious and integral today.
  • Options
    I meant the fans not his team mates!
  • Options
    Nice report WSS.

Chris Iwelumo is a Charlton hero. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
  • Options
    Pick of the bunch for me was Semedo, played much better than he has been playing of late. Didn't give the ball away half as much etc.

Think the front two pairing was quality. So pleased i went!

Nearly missing the last train back to London was not great lol if we were second's later i would be in Plymouth right now.
  • Options
    Good report, cheers WSS.

Be interested with how it compares with the others who were there.

You were lucky Bexleyheath, reckon it might be murders doing the same journey today !
  • Options
    Agree 100% with WSS report.

Left hotel on edge of Dartmoor at about 10.45 back in Sevenoaks at 2.15. Very pretty!!

Enjoyed the speedway bikes at halftime as well.

Thought after 3 mins it was going to be Blackpool version 2. In fairness to Weaver it was pretty gusty but he still made a real howler. Elliott was best keeper on pitch on the day. Cooky was not exactly pleased to be taken off. Hope he starts next week. Didnt miss Ambrose.

Thought Lita and Iwelumo's work rate was immense. Lita tended to play more wide right and did a lot of tracking back. His goal celebrations were 100% for everybody. Him, team, management and fans. Was a 100% team player.
  • Options
    Great report guys, something to make us all happy again on a Sunday too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Thought after 3 mins it was going to be Blackpool version 2.

Same here mate, another Park Football debacle was on the way at that point but what a turnaround

and what SPIRIT

definitely one of the top away games this season (second only to Palace) and would be in my top 10 ever easily
  • Options
    Ditto report.
    Plymouth did beat us though on ejections form the crowd though, 2-1 and I dont think I've heard us called 'Dirty Northern bastards' before either.
  • Options
    'Dirty Northern Bastards' .

The Greenies call everybody that, even Torquay & Exeter. Ha ha !

If you look at the map, Argyle are the most Southerly league club as well as the most Westerly.
  • Options
    And Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird at Half time to go with the Speedway bikes.

And some interesting brass band music that made it sound like we were all at a Summer Garden Party.

The Pastie was a treat as well.

I quite enjoyed myself.
  • Options
    Got home last night as had to visit the Lass's family!

Great game, great fans great team.