Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

those in favour of Lita over our other strikers?

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Whilst I feel that Varney has been badly treated recently and should be accomodated somewhere in the team I feel the Iwelumo/Lita partnership has started to gel. Felt against Wolves Lita got onto a couple of flick-ons from Big Chris one of which should have resulted in a goal (friends viewing it on tv said it was a good save from their keeper, but in that situation you really must score) and just viewed the highlights clip from Virgin and think Lita took his 2nd goal well. Maybe just a tap in but watch his movement before that - anticipated what might happen and made up a few yards on the defenders to be in the right spot at the right time. a few more of those during the season and we may well have been in certs for a top 6 spot.

chances of keeping him next season - even if we go up or not?

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    If we don't go up then there is absolutely no chance. They'll be other clubs sniffing around and he would love to play in the Prem. The only thing I can take heart from is the fact that Sheff Utd managed to get Beattie this season.
  • Options
    For every match that Big Chris wins flick-ons there are half a dozen that he is beaten in the air the whole 90 or is constantly giving away fouls. Do we really want to see the long ball up to Iwelumo as our main plan of attack? I'd like to see Lita & Varney/(Dickson must be close to fitness hopefully) or even with Gray. Despite his dedication to the cause, Big Chris cannot produce football that most fans want to watch.
  • Options
    Hope so on Lita, have been wanting him here for a couple of years, and have him as our 08/09 player of the year at the halfway point (in the year ahead predictions)

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=13121&page=1#Item_3
  • Options
    We should have a collection to try and raise the money to sign him - will be like Ronnie Moore all over again!!
  • Options
    Thought we looked at our best when we had two racing snakes up front Varney/MCCleod so I'd be keen to see Varney Lita up front at some stage before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Whilst I really like Varney and am keen for us to keep him, Lita is the finished article as a goal scorer, and he does link well with Big Chris. For the first time this season we have a strike partnership with those two - stick with them. Goals and results matter more than pretty football at the moment.

Can we really raise £6M between us, Peakie?!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    Can we really raise £6M between us, Peakie?!!
    Yeah no problem - I'm sure once AFKA chucks in all the advertising money from this site we'll be half-way there!!
  • Options
    The club should have enough money the amount of auctions they do!
  • Options
    Id stick with Lita and Big Chris. Varney on the wing if needs be...
  • Options
    I would be surprised if we didn't have an option on him (lita), only viable in a promotion situation I would imagine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he's a classy player and a cut above the rest of our strikers as I posted last week before the Plymouth game - anybody who can't see that is blind or a few sarnies short of a picnic

if we could sign him for next season he would score 20/25 goals and fire us up - am pretty sure of that

however, I am sure someone in the Prem. would come in for him - especially if he scores a few more for us before the end of the season

he has proved he can score goals in the Premiership and also performed well for the U-21s
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite], Lita is the finished article as a goal scorer,!!

OH PLEASE

Don't go overboard. He's a good goalscorer I agree but finished article.
  • Options
    His stats are currently 58 goals from 170 appearances, just a bit better than 1 in 3.

Of those 170, 60 were sub appearances, so 58 goals from 110 starts doesn't look a bad record to me.
  • Options
    and he's only 23, so he should get better
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite], Lita is the finished article as a goal scorer,!!

OH PLEASE

Don't go overboard. He's a good goalscorer I agree but finished article.

Probably, Weegie means compared to the unproven at this level .....McLeod & Varney, for example.
    To be fair, Lita has great movement & anticipation, and looks far more assured - and well, lethal in front of goal.
  • Options
    If we are in the Championship next season and Lita cannot be sold by Reading offer 2 million quid for a loan the whole season. if we are then promoted pay a further 3 million and he is ours.

Will the board want to take a 2 million pound loan who knows
  • Options
    Thanks for leaping to my defence! I meant it pretty much as Oggy explains. He looks like more of a 'finisher' in the mould of a Hales or Mendonca ie sole reason for being on the pitch is to get the ball in the back of the net. Whatever they may say afterwards about 'it's the team performance/ result that matters', you know they are not really happy unless they have scored themselves.

Before you shout at me again, Ledge, I'm not necessarily suggesting he is as good as Hales or Mendonca - yet ;-)
  • Options
    three with his head, not much like Mendonca, are you talking about pre Charlton?
  • Options
    I'm not talkng about style or technique, razil, just literally a shared attitude that it's all about them scoring goals. I remember watching Super Clive trudge off after Charlton had won - if he hadn't got one of the goals then he was like a bear with a sore head. Lita reminds me a bit of that.
  • Options
    Sometimes you need that sort of hunger.

The thing that impressed me most about Lita was not his goals but the work he put in when we were down to 10 men. He seemed to have a good partnership with Iwelumo and they were continually chasing down lost causes.

I know its nitpicking but Varney still got caught offside in the brief spell he was on the pitch. He seems a bit sloppy to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    chances of keeping him next season - even if we go up or not?

He seems to be history as far as Reading are concerned and if no other Prem side comes in for him then I don't see why not, but raising the money would be a bit of a problem.

Assuming that we've got most of next year's squad already on our books then we need to get rid of at least one other striker to accomodate him, so it means selling at least one of Varney, Gray, Dickson and McLeod, plus we have the parachute money. I still think we need a strong central midfielder - but that job could go to Racon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] I still think we need a strong central midfielder - but that job could go to Racon.

Getting slated on one Brighton site as terrible v Port Vale. The "worst Albion player this decade" and "totally different player from Forest"

Well they did lose to bottom of the table Port Vale and they seem to slagging off all the players.
  • Options
    You can't play in England, it seems, without getting slagged off. Anywhere.

It's the new English disease.

;o)