Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

i hope there is a huge turnover of players in the close season.

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Players who i would like to stay as its a shorter list :

Weaver. The club should of got an experienced backup goalkeeper.
Motorkil
Youga
Magic
Thatcher
Halford maybe
Cook if possible
ZZ
Gray
Lita yeah if possible
Dickson
Big Chris
Mcloud (only because he is injured)

Also Parkinson and Robson out with Peter Grant coming in as number 2.

Comments

• Options
    McCarthy
  • Options
    not much point articulating a decent reply when you leave out the likes of McCarthy, Varney and Racon
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    'McCarthy' liability ok for midtable. Just my opinion Isawleaburnscore.

Maybe get Reid back on loan as he will need to get his fitness back for Sunderland.
  • Options
    I think a big clearout is the last thing we need. Far too many of us expected too much from a newly put together squad for this campaign, how can you expect us to mount any serious promotion challenge next season if Pards has to offload and then buy in another shed load of players?

I believe in Pardew's words when he says he's building for the future and we all should know successful football teams are not built overnight.
  • Options
    Thats a great post EGA
  • Options
    Do you think that there will be a massive squad like this year then ?
  • Options
    I am really intrigued as to what Pardew is going to do.

Anyone got any bright ideas?
  • Options
    I think it will be trimmed but there will be some natural wastage . Can`t see Toddy or Gibbs staying and I really think that Pardew doesn`t fancy Moo2, and Mcleod. Younga must be well cheesed off and don`t forget he can walk. Add to that maybe ZZ and take out the loans and then the squad aint that big !
  • Options
    According to the official site, Pards said in his post-match comments that he is planning to make 'three of four changes' to the first team to give it more 'steel and strength'.
  • Options
    I dont think we will see a large change to the squad this summer. I would hope Pards knows more or less who is going or staying by now. I reckon maybe 4 or five new faces at the most.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I hope that Pards top priority is a midfielder who can control a game and make a defence splitting pass because thats what we need more than anything else.
  • Options
    Definitely. If not from the youths, buy one fast.
  • Options
    Nobody has remembered to mention that as far as I know Charlton still retain the registrations of both Marcus Bent and Amady Faye. Whats going to happen there I wonder ?
  • Options
    I read somewhere that Wigan will be discussing a permanent deal with Bent in the summer, aslong as they stay up.
    Fuck knows whats happening wth Faye.
  • Options
    Do you think that there will be a massive squad like this year then ?

No I don't but I don't think there will be as many wholesale changes as there were last summer. I also think Pardew has learnt from his recent mistakes in the loans market that too many can cause unrest, even though we did field 3 today, which probably would have been 4 had Sodje not been injured. I think a number of the fringe players will be released (not necessarily Todorov or Gibbs, but perhaps the likes of Chris Powell and Ben Thatcher (?)) and the squad will be trimmed but the majority of the squad we saw today will be there next season.

I think Moo2 will be kept, but I'd be disappointed if Varney was released, though I could imagine Pardew relegating him to a squad role rather than one of our main strikers. I should think he will try and sign another striker, but probably only if Mcleod is sold. Pardew has already said that he wants a bit more grit in the side so I'd expect to see someone in midfield brought in, however we do have people like Racon, Sinclair, Arter and Wright who will hopefully try and prove themselves in pre-season if bringing in another player is not feasible. Personally I think it's outwide where we have our biggest problems and his hand could be forced if Jerome Thomas upsticks. I don't think we'll see much movement for defensive personnel as long-term I think a McCarthy-Bougherra centre back partnership has the makings of something good. Perhaps if Johnny Fortune finds pastures new, Pardew will move in for an up and coming centre half.
  • Options
    Good points made there. I think Toddy and Gibbs will leave. Toddy because of his desperately poor injury record and age and amazingly I think Gibbs will leave not for that reason alone but more to do with the fact that he is not a Pardew buy and wasn`t established when Pardew arrived. As an international and signed as a prem footballer I also suspect his wages are more than we would be happy to pay. Agree that if Thomas does leave we are short of quality out wide. Not sure Sam is going to be the answer. Christiansen also seems not to feature in Pardews thoughts. If its steel and grit that Pardew is looking to strengthen the squad with then It sounds like he is happy with his up front and wide options and is looking to central midfield and defence.
  • Options
    personally i think it is a good group of players who should at least be in play offs. A new centre half to play with bougherra, an attacking central mid and a new striker and it would be fine.

problem is the management team
  • Options
    Assuming we need two for every position, I'd go:

Weaver
    Randolph

Moutuaokil, Bougherra, ?, Thatcher
    ?, McCarthy, Fortune(Sodje if possible), Youga

?, Racon, Zheng, Thomas
    Ambrose, Semedo, ?, ? (Cook if possible but I think he'll be in the Fulham side next season).

Gray, Varney
    Iwelumo, ? (Lita is possible, doubt it is)

I think Bougherra has looked quality second half of this season. Seems to play well with McCarthy, but I'd just like a bit of pace in there if possible.
    Racon is apparently doing a great job as a defensive midfielder down at Brighton.
    Centre mid we need is someone creative/more attacking.
    I'd play Gray and Varney upfront from the start of the season, and Varney right up top rather than out on the wings etc. Give a partnership a bit of time.

OUT: Sankofa, Bent, Faye, Holland, Halford, Sam, Sinclair, McLeod.

As hard as Holland works, I feel as he's not a defensive midfielder, a creative midfielder and can't get box-to-box particularly quickly these days, he costs us shape and means ZZ or Semedo are left doing one job one the other doesn't happen.
    Sam has little end product.
    Halford is a liability, loses the ball far too much, ditto whoever he's supposed to be marking.
    McLeod we should be able more cash for than we all know he's worth.

Lot of good if I don't know who to bring in though!!

Chris Gunter from Spurs may be available on loan at right back. Loans always work....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]personally i think it is a good group of players who should at least be in play offs. A new centre half to play with bougherra, an attacking central mid and a new striker and it would be fine.

So you're not attributing any of this season to underperforming players at all?

interesting.
  • Options
    Can't argue that no one seems to be teaching the players how to close down, though....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    A big clear out is the last thing we need, if it happens then it'll be the third season that would have happened, and if the last two seasons ended up in relegation and what looks like mid-table mediocrity, there is no guarantee that a third influx of players is going to work.

That isn't to say that we don't need to trim the squad a little, I doubt that Gibbs will stay and both Thatcher and Youga are out of contract, with Basey in the squad that's one too mnay left-backs, especially as Semedo can cover that position. We have Faye and Marcus Bent on the books and although I doubt the former would get anything Bent must be worth at least £1-2m after a decent season for Wigan.

I'd like to sign another striker - hopefully Lita, but that would depend on at least one of McLeod, Varney, Dickson going and as others have said we need to find an attacking creative midfielder, Holland is a worthy pro but he/Semedo in midfield don't provide the impetus to control games.
  • Options
    four or five new players in, all in real first team contention, no punts like Racon, Sinclair, Dickson etc. Sizable squad reduction. Let Thatcher go, high wages and Basey and Youga are decent enough. We have the nucleus of a decent squad but it's major tweaking is in midfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Nobody has remembered to mention that as far as I know Charlton still retain the registrations of both Marcus Bent and Amady Faye. Whats going to happen there I wonder ?

Wigan are obligated to take Bent if they stay up and a fee is already agreed. Just pray they can agree personal terms !!

As for Faye, pay the useless fecker off as he's no use to us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]personally i think it is a good group of players who should at least be in play offs. A new centre half to play with bougherra, an attacking central mid and a new striker and it would be fine.

although I don't agree with the last point the rest is essentially right although I don't accept that Paddy isn't good enough. I think he and Bouggy can form a decent partnership. Our problem this season has been central midfield and a lack of goals. The latter isn't because of a lack of decent strikers but the lack of a decent midfield. Sort out the midfield and you sort the majority of our problems. IMO Grey, Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod and Dixkson are capable of scoring enough goals to get us up.
  • Options
    So the problem is the management team then Large.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]So the problem is the management team then Large.

That's too simplistic to an extent but ultimately, yes. However, I really think Pards deserves another year to sort it out.