Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew's team selection

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Baffled ME

no out and out right sided player so Halford was marking 2 players for most of the half, he struggles with one most of the time. BUT to be fair he had a decent enough game apart from his appalling crosses.

bottled the keeper decision -should have stayed with Elliott - randolph looked shaky for most of the game.

Comments

• Options
    agreed. two holding central mids and no one out right in a game have to win. brings back a keeper who would not have played or trained with the defenders for months and makes it 37 (THIRTY SEVEN!) players this season. Plays Iwelumo, Halford and the ineffective Thatcher rather than Varney, moo2 and Youga etc etc etc

and have you read what he said after the game! basically an admission that he doesnt know why they are rubbish at home!

worst ever Charlton manager that has had a complete season? clearly.

(Halford's loan deal must stipulate that he plays. he is woeful)
  • Options
    Agree. Southampton were there for the taking for 94 minutes and I think the introduction of either Thomas or Varney early in the second half in place of out of form ZZ would have won us the match. Thought Halford had a good game. Crosses were too long though. Although not really tested by their front men I though Magic and Paddy looked solid.
  • Options
    I thought the decision on Randolph over Elliot was strange. Maybe it was sentiment of wanting to see a fan playing but I felt he was the man with the shirt. I'll stick my neck out and state that Weaver will start against QPR

Ken, you make a good point about Randolph not having trained with the squad for a while but he has already played this season so it's still only 36 players. I hope that changes and Gibbs, Yussef, Wagstaff and maybe even Shelvey get a look in.

Also 28 players have made debuts this season.
  • Options
    yes realised he had played just after i posted.

like you although he has used far too many players to make a success of the season, i think now is the time to try a few more!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Also 28 players have made debuts this season.[/quote]

That is way to many. How can a team push for promotion with so many players making their debut?

People are saying that for next season we need to make lots of changes so does that mean the same again next season?
    Because at the beginning of the season we will hear the same the team needs time to gel etc. When the great Lennie bought in those 8 players the year we went up first time the team bonded very fast so why not now?
  • Options
    Agree that Halford put in some bad crosses but he also had some very good parts to play. His run near the end was the sort of thing the midfield should be doing. Also if we are going to criticise distribution then for an hour Thatcher was appalling.

After being at Plymouth I thought Pardew would play Elliot simply for the feel good factor. Emotional I know but sometimes seasons can change on circumstances like Plymouth.

I quite like aspects of Semedos game but he has got to improve on his discipline. How many times has he been taken off before he gets sent off.
  • Options
    I've come over to see a few games. As someone who had only seen a few games on the box before WBA, perhaps I can see things from a different perspective. For me the problem is obvious. Our build up play is far too slow and predictable. The midfield of Holland and Semedo is too defensive with no creativity. We looked a different team yesterday with Ambrose in the centre of midfield. We need an attacking midfielder in there who can run at the defence, pick a through ball and have a shot occasionally. ZZ can do a good job in that position but was wasted out wide, as Ambrose has been until yesterday.
    I really think that we have some excellent players, but this season has been spoilt by Pardews dreadful tactics and team selection.
  • Options
    agreed to are too laboured in our build up there is just no zip
  • Options
    Holland in the middle is one reason why we have no spark or creativity
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I thought the decision on Randolph over Elliot was strange. Maybe it was sentiment of wanting to see a fan playing but I felt he was the man with the shirt.

agreed, you can sod who has the "Number 2" label or whatever you like, Elliott secured us that victory last week with his last-ditch save, his shirt, what else did he have to do? that was baffling for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I've come over to see a few games. As someone who had only seen a few games on the box before WBA, perhaps I can see things from a different perspective. For me the problem is obvious. Our build up play is far too slow and predictable. The midfield of Holland and Semedo is too defensive with no creativity.

For someone so far away you certainly know what's going on. I was watching the 2001/2002 highlights the other day. Some of the stuff we could play with the Parker/Jensen combo was outstanding (and depressing to watch). Parker's ability to pick the ball up on the break and sprint with it, Jensen's ability to just push us straight up there with a dribble and pick out a quality pass. And their dual ability to put some zip in the ball across the midfield. And now we have Semedo and Holland. Both of which cannot do any of these and also have no pace. Central midfield is the base of any team and this combo we have the moment cannot and will not cut it, even at championship level.
  • Options
    pards is really starting to f*cking piss me off. why the f*ck was zizi on the right, and playing 2 defensive midfielders in a must win game. varney could do a much better job out on the right, and ambrose in the middle actually gives us some attacking options in the middle. should of been
    cook ambrose varney
    zizi
  • Options
    Been saying it for weeks. Semedo (Centre half convert) and Holland (legs going and never was a crunching tackler) are probably the easiest centre midfield to boss in the league. They CANNOT play together unless we play 4-5-1 with Ambrose or Zheng ahead of them.
  • Options
    To me it seems easy to drop semedo. He has been shocking and a liability these last few games. Start of the season I thought he had something special (hopefully next season he'll regain that form).
  • Options
    I think he's just more exposed now than when we were playing 4-5-1. If we play 4-4-2 then Semedo shouldn't play from the start.
  • Options
    ZZ is most breaking from centre mid
    Varney would have the two centre halfs ragged
    Two set pieces outside the box Halford has a great shot and nowhere near either of them surely Lita should have been waiting for a rebound or if Wright spilt it
    Sorry but Big Chris is to one dimensional and should not be used from the start
    why Holland and Somedo together at home when we need a win
    No defenders on the bench is that a bit to much of a gamble

In the interview after the game Pards is clearly rattled and is someone who is fightng to keep his job

Lost the dressing rooms and fans has he now lost the board
  • Options
    he's definately lost the plot.
  • Options
    A very over rated manager who doesn't know his best starting eleven
  • Options
    Lee Cook = makes Dennis look like Rambo !!!

has there ever been a more lightweight player...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Lee Cook = makes Dennis look like Rambo !!!

tony tony towner tony towner on the wing...
    according to colin camerons Valiant 500 5ft 7in and 9st 11lb (the same weight as hillsy at birth)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Lee Cook = makes Dennis look like Rambo !!!

epitomised in the 1st half when the ball bounced up in their penalty area and he absolutely totally bottled it didn't even attempt.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I've come over to see a few games. As someone who had only seen a few games on the box before WBA, perhaps I can see things from a different perspective. For me the problem is obvious. Our build up play is far too slow and predictable. The midfield of Holland and Semedo is too defensive with no creativity.[/quote]

For someone so far away you certainly know what's going on. I was watching the 2001/2002 highlights the other day. Some of the stuff we could play with the Parker/Jensen combo was outstanding (and depressing to watch). Parker's ability to pick the ball up on the break and sprint with it, Jensen's ability to just push us straight up there with a dribble and pick out a quality pass. And their dual ability to put some zip in the ball across the midfield. And now we have Semedo and Holland. Both of which cannot do any of these and also have no pace. Central midfield is the base of any team and this combo we have the moment cannot and will not cut it, even at championship level.[/quote]

That was the best midfield and Charlton team I have ever seen and I've been going since 1967.
    Holland and Semedo haven't scored a goal between them all season or even made a goal as far as I can remember. In contrast ZZ and Ambrose have scored around 20 between them from midfield, so who does Pardew play in a must win game? It's not rocket science is it?
    QPR is my last game before heading back and I just want to see a decent performance (Typically I didn't go to Plymouth)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    this run in is pretty similar to last years when Pards lost his bottle instead of going for it.

I think the mistake the board made was not in changing the manager, but who they hired in the first place - although in both cases I don't think they can't really be blamed for that.

I do have to agree at being puzzled with his selections and tactics, he has been a bit unlucky with squad movements, but has done nothing for me to prove he has much talent - perhaps he is guilty of believing his own hype. It would be nice instead of prattling on he made a serious attempt to explain how exactly he meant to win the game.
  • Options
    why don't we go back to basics?

varney is a winger, not a out and out striker. stick him on the right. thomas or cook on the left. gray and lita up front. pace at the back.....youga and yassin. mccarthy and magic in the middle. weaver in goal. ambrose in the middle of the park and semedo, holland or zz playing the defensive role.