Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the london marathon

always watch the tv coverage of this and have seen some weird fancy dress's over the years.
that bloke that done it in a divers suit last year is a huge robot thingy this year.
there are batman and robin in a delboy car.
scooby-doo and mr tickle have also been seen.
even our own sleep-miester, cheeseroll is doing it today.
but the thing that amazed me is there is a bloke 101 (one hundred and one) years old doing it today. flash b'stard. i was 38 yesterday and my knees are f**ked just standing in a pub for 4 hours

Comments

• Options
    He was on the radio in the week, and he still works apparently - cleaning vans for a plumming company. Mad or marvel?
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]He was on the radio in the week, and he still works apparently - cleaning vans for a plumming company. Mad or marvel?

Alsolute legend.

If it's the one i am thinking of, he works for pimlico plumbers.

Living proof that keeping busy and a positive outlook keeps you young..

edit- just seen isls's post- after posting- LOL
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think this is made up. 101? Ole Grizzly Adams don't look a day over 71 to me.
  • Options
    seen him on tv-he also featured on Capital radio breakfast who Pimlico plumbers ofte are involved with via HALC and stuff..
  • Options
    are we talking about that buster fellow
  • Options
    yes mate
  • Options
    brillant man! i think hes out of blue as well,looks no more than 75.looks good as well!
  • Options
    101 my arse. 80 more like.
  • Options
    you like 80 up your arse christ leroy not on here please
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hes 101 leroy,not up for debate,seen him a few times,amazing man.
  • Options
    Not a chance in hell. Fair play to him for keeping up the charade and milking it, but I reckon he's not even in his nineties. Just look at his face - no way he's that old. I believe he's given no proof of his age to anyone, and most estimate him to be somewhere between 80 and 85.
  • Options
    according to wiki (though not exactly accurate i know before anyone says) they reckon there is actually discrepancies in his story as the NHS has two birth registrations for him... one from 1906 and one from 1913.

still 101 or 94, he's got my respect hands down.
  • Options
    Good to see Jonathan Pearce plodding around... has given me a lot of inspiration for the half-marathon in October. Good on yer JP!
  • Options
    medders why didn't you join in the fish song yesterday ;-)
  • Options
    Too busy laughing at you mate!

"you can stick your f***ing fish up your...."

;-)
  • Options
    shows how shite this season is when people get excited about a fish and a net ;-)
  • Options
    Dont mention fishnets for gods sake... Gump will get all excited!
  • Options
    Back to the marathon... driving through Charlton village yesterday at 1.45 pm and the Slow Motion Man was going through! Only at Charlton village 4 hours or so after it started... he had stopped in the Bugle apparently for a quick one. Gave us the thumbs up! should finish next sunday apparently.
  • Options
    i got up at 7.30 and went up to london to stand outside my friends office on lower thames street cheering everyone on. my hands are sore from clapping for 6 hours almost constantly from 11am till 5pm till the stragglers were coming along. it was awesome, a truly emotional day, my sore hands are nothing compared to some of the runners. but it was amazing to see their faces as we were cheering them along, singing to the music and encouraging them on for the last 3 miles, they looked so grateful!
    not as many dressed up as I thought their would be. Saw jonathan pearce who did most of it in tears as he was running for his 8 month old niece lily who died last year. Saw Ronan Keating and that Bob Hope from Emmerdale who was really good and went past not long after the elite men. loads of others from emmerdale ran it too, one of the dingles, and the old fella with the sily moustache was running with a blind man. people running past with those synthetic springy leg things, were unbelievable.

I was thinking of pulling out of the 13 mile run in october that we've all signed up for, but no way, I'm going to do it, and i might even sign up for the marathon in 2010. i spent most of the day on the brink of tears it was so emotional, people of different ages, sizes, suffering with different injuries, limping, wincing with pain. was fantastic. best day for a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched bits of it on TV yesterday morning, and could relate to one of the 'runners' when asked when he hoped to finish. His answer, 'today' !
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I was thinking of pulling out of the 13 mile run in october that we've all signed up for, but no way, I'm going to do it,

Don't worry Sooze, you can keep me company with the stragglers ;-) We will do it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Good to see Jonathan Pearce plodding around... has given me a lot of inspiration for the half-marathon in October. Good on yer JP!

The man is a god. Very touching story.
    He is the most underused journalist at the BBC. Let's hope when Chiles f's off to ITV for his £6m Pearce gets MOTD2.
    Get him back on 5Live.
  • Options
    The bloke in the big robot suit went past the Pickwick at............................................................................4pm

NUTTER
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]He was on the radio in the week, and he still works apparently - cleaning vans for a plumming company. Mad or marvel?

Alsolute legend.

If it's the one i am thinking of, he works for pimlico plumbers.

Living proof that keeping busy and a positive outlook keeps you young..

edit- just seen isls's post- after posting- LOL

My pal works there, its all a publicity stunt, he wont show a passport or any other documentation to prove his age, they just accepted it when he started there and now the boss uses it as free publicity, and who can blame him. His work colleagues dont believe him they reckon he is early to mid 90's, no mean feat in itself obviously but not 102 or whatever he claims, fair play to him though.
  • Options
    26 miles ? i couldnt do it on a bus !!