Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'positive thread' squad for next year?

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
The wage budget will need trimming if we are to bring people in and keep the finances ok. I don't expect us to retain more than perhaps one of the loanees.

On their way out - Thomas, and some others at the end of their deals will go, including Holland, Thatcher, Faye, Bent, Gibbs.

Along with that I reckon some of the fat and 'failures' will go: Sankfoa. Racon, Sinclair, McLeod, Christensen,

Wild cards: Gray, ZZ or Varney (currently rumoured), could go too to bring funds in.

First 11:

Weaver
(rightback) Mac Bougie Youga
(winger) (centre mid) ZZ (winger)
Varney Gray

The rest:

Iwulemo (I like him only Gray playing well will keep him out)
Dickson (good prospect)
Moo2
Semedo (keep him as he can fill in anywhere in defence
Fortune (would like to get rid but may need him)
Ambrose (can do a job ocassionally although I would rather not use him as a wide player at home)
Sam (winger shortage will keep him)
Basey
Montiero?

(some season long loans)

Comments

• Options
    does anyone know whos contracts are up this year? i know Hollands and youga are but are there anymore?
  • Options
    Best thing at the weekend was Gray's goal next season we will see a different player especially now he has got that monkey off his back
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]does anyone know whos contracts are up this year? i know Hollands and youga are but are there anymore?

Gibbs, Sankofa, possibly Thatcher as I think he only signed an 18 month deal could be wrong about that though.
  • Options
    McLeod won't go as he is long-term injured so nobody will buy him.

Youga is the interesting one as his contract is up at the end of the year and has now lost his place to Thatcher. He's desperate for first team football, so he may not want to sign another contract with us so he can leave for another team on a free where he'll play each week.

Todorov only signed for a season so he'll be released. He might be allowed to carry on training at Charlton to get fit and then decide if he's worth another contract.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think Gray will be a different player net season remember he has to get use to living down here. Great touch and he can score goals.

I think we will see Bowyer and Mullins in.

I still think Mccarthy should go aswell sorry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]does anyone know whos contracts are up this year? i know Hollands and youga are but are there anymore?

Gibbs, Sankofa, possibly Thatcher as I think he only signed an 18 month deal could be wrong about that though.

Thatcher is out of contract.
  • Options
    agree with pete tong re mccarthy. one of pardews mistakes if he wanted promotion this year. would do a great job down with Gillingham or someone at their level.

i think all that needs to be added is a right back aand a good box to box midfielder (as opposed to a not so good box to box midfielder like Zheng)......... Bowyer would be good (could probably get parker in a year or two too!!)

weaver,
    mr x Fortune Bougherra youga
    sam semedo mr y thomas
    varney gray

is not a bad team if playing week in week out with each other

with ambrose, zheng,
  • Options
    We already have a perfectly good right back in Yassin who needs to be given more of a chance. Especially at adapting to English football.

Need a playmaker in the midfield. Someone who can pick out a pass and makes things happen. Actually come to think of it we had one earlier this year...
  • Options
    reid was not that man. he could pick a pass away from home when he had more time on the ball and space to hit the ball into behind advancing full backs. at the valley with deeper defending teams he was unable to unlock them either
  • Options
    weaver

yassin
    magic
    paddy
    youga

varney
    racon
    zz
    ????? (commons? jackson?)

gray
    ?????? (proper goal scorer)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    would like to get kyle lafferty from burnley. though i think a few prem sides may be sniffing round him.
  • Options
    Weaver

RB (proven youngster) McCarthy Bougherra Basey

Lloyd Sam CM (box to box) Zheng Zhi Cook (on a permanent)

Gray ST (20 goal a season man)

One of Elliot/Randolph to stay. Elliot more likely having been handed new contract.
    Thatcher to go with Youga staying to fight LB spot out with Grant Basey. Powell to become coaching staff.
    Semedo to stay as cover for back four and central midfield. Fortune to leave. Hopeful for Sodje on permanent.
    Holland to stay but without Pardew's obligation to play him every game. Goalscoring box to box central midfielder needed.
    Thomas to go to Middlebrough / Wigan with Ambrose 50/50 to leave. Racon to stay with emergence of Wright / Arter on squad fringes.
    Varney and Iwelumo to stay as back up strikers with Dickson making claims. Lita, Todorov, Faye, Bent, Sankofa all to go.
    Moutaouakil to stay as prospect but no more. Proper right back needed with Halford not renewed.
  • Options
    ignoring loan players (think ZZ is ours now), then retain:

- Weaver Randolph Elliott

- Moo2 McCarthy Magic Youga

- Ambrose Semedo ZZ Racon Basey

- Gray Varney Iwelumo

hopefully Dickson, Monteiro and some of the young players will break through a bit too. Release Todorov, Holland, Thatcher and if possible sell Thomas, Sam, Fortune, Sankofa and McLeod. Key summer signing should probably be a box to box central midfielder.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh Salad you said Release Todorov could not dis-agree more on that point. The Guy has geneuine quality at this level & has been a huge miss for us, one that Pards has tried to fill & failed each time to do so. Other than that agree 100% with your selections & releases.
  • Options
    Kets - I agree with you about Todorov's quality ...... my reason for saying release is his age, his wage and caution regarding a player who has had a couple of bad injuries. If we decide to give him another year and he stays fit then we should all be very pleased.

If he hadn't been crocked we would probably have done a lot better this season, plus we wouldn't have had to sign Gray and thus could probably have kept Reidy.
  • Options
    Todorov may not be as expensive as you think. Given he is out of contract, perennially injured and coming towards the end of his career I do not see a host of clubs queuing up to sign him. Charlton may be his best or only bet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]

weaver,
    mr x Fortune Bougherra youga
    sam semedo mr y thomas
    varney gray

is not a bad team if playing week in week out with each other

with ambrose, zheng,

Please not Semedo, he has given the ball away sooooooo many times recently it's unbelievable. Every time he recieves a pass you can hear the whole of the covered end groan. We need a ball winner in the middle of the park and I find it difficult to see it beeing him.
  • Options
    Sorry forgot I was supposed to be being positive. ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Todorov may not be as expensive as you think. Given he is out of contract, perennially injured and coming towards the end of his career I do not see a host of clubs queuing up to sign him. Charlton may be his best or only bet.

I also wonder if the same might apply to Gibbs.

He was signed as a Premiership player don't forget so has probably got something about him.
  • Options
    dont think Pards is remotely interested Len