Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cook to sign permanently?

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Just noticed this on SLP website

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=5558

Comments

• Options
    Would be a good signing but surely Fulham would want to get the 2.5 million they paid for him a year ago. So i doubt it.
  • Options
    If Fulham are relegated from the Prem, then he probably thinks he might just as well sign for us.

He's a dyed in the wool QPR supporter, remember - so maybe people at QPR would want him back.
    They're not short of money.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    There is no way Fulham could demand the £2.5m - he hasnt played for them. Much like we couldnt command the fees for Varney/Gray/McLeod.

I think he's a decent little player. One of the few who has close control and a smidgen of quality. If he beefed up a little and is given a run of games then he could be a real threat in this division.
  • Options
    He was a real threat for QPR last season.
    That's why he got his move to the Prem.
  • Options
    Give me Cook over Thomas any day of the week.

Yes, he is lightweight but at least he is a real lefty and looks to cross the bloody ball into the box and doesn't feck about all day with stepovers and then slam his cross into the first defender.

A genuine winger would mean you could play Ambrose on the right but allow him more freedom whereas Thomas/Ambrose means you make the game too narrrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Spoke to a bloke I work with who goes QPR with his Cook's old man and he reckons it's very doubtful. He's desperate for a move to QPR as it's his team but Di Canio's not intrested, also had a couple of run-ins with Pards over Pardew saying one thing and doing another didn't really say what it was all about though.

But at the end of the day if Fulham don't want him and QPR don't come in for him I don't suppose Charlton is such a bad option for him.
  • Options
    Would like to see him sign
  • Options
    please no....little 'bottle job'
  • Options
    I am quite happy that Flavio Briatore has installed a fellow Italian as QPR boss because I reckon he will really struggled to get them promoted out of this league. I think that, hard though it is to say, that the Warnock/Palace thing proves that there are certain managers that will succeed at this level (McCarthy, Bassett - a few years back, Curbs, Warnock, Megson) because they have played in it and know what is required and many more who will really struggle.

Once you get outside the padded confines of the Premiership then the Football League becomes a very different, much more English place (which is why I actually enjoy it) and its very tough for a foreign manager to know how to manage in these lower leagues, not impossible just much more difficult.
  • Options
    I've yet to be impressed with Cook, people hammer Thomas for beating his man twice and failing to get the ball into the box... but somehow cook is a much better player?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, Cook got the ball into the box last Saturday. Gray scored.

Old football adage: "You're only as good as you're last game......."
  • Options
    At least Cook looks to get the ball in from behind the right back and then curl it back onto his forwards (like he did for Gray on Saturday).

Thomas' habit of cutting back inside makes it really hard for his forwards because the angle of his crosses make it much easier for defenders to get in front of the attacker and clear the ball.

I have always (Robbo included) hated seeing right-footed players on the left and vice versa, I think it unbalances the team and makes it easier for defenders because it makes the game much narrower and harder for the winger to get round the back of defences.
  • Options
    I thought Cook had a good game on Saturday (definately an improvement on the previous week lol). He looks very skilful and at least tries something different.

If we could get him on a permanent I think he will be an asset.
  • Options
    I think he's had more shots already than Thomas has had all season!
  • Options
    The thing is that Thomas is SO predictable, defenders know he has no left foot so they can shepherd him inside safe in the knowledge that he can't go back outside them and cross with his left foot very effectively.

Most of Thomas' assists have come by cutting inside and putting in right footed inwsingers (like vs Brum away for Benty in 2005) but these are few and far between and are usually down to bad defending as much as good crossing.
  • Options
    I'd choose Cook instead of Thomas every time. His close control is as good, with less of the showboating and more end product.

He might not win us as many free kicks - unlike JT, he wasn't brought up in the Arsenal Academy and taught how to dive in a way that always convinces the ref...
  • Options
    would love to see him sign, when 100% fit and with a pre-season behind him he's untouchable in this league as shown in his last season at QPR
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]please no....little 'bottle job'[/quote]

I concur.
  • Options
    the only player in a red shirt that can cross a football

don't buy this negative rubbish and besides how many left wingers in the world don't bottle challenges?

if our central midfield could throw in a bleedin tackle or two he wouldn't be there!
  • Options
    I am with Eltham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Robson II
  • Options
    Cook would be a good signing because he does have quality above the standard of the Championship and thats what any team looking for promotion needs. Its as simple as that really. If he does sign then I would expect Thomas to depart but I doubt the fee we could get would pay for Cook. My guess is that he won `t be with us next term.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Would be a good signing but surely Fulham would want to get the 2.5 million they paid for him a year ago. So i doubt it.[/quote]

That would be the figure including x number of appearences, a sell on a profit clause etc, I doubt Fulham have paid out that much in total.

I wonder if Thomas will go if so the money from his sale could fund the purchase of Cook.
  • Options
    Thomas has gone already inside his head ............
  • Options
    And in many fans heads too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I am quite happy that Flavio Briatore has installed a fellow Italian as QPR boss because I reckon he will really struggled to get them promoted out of this league. I think that, hard though it is to say, that the Warnock/Palace thing proves that there are certain managers that will succeed at this level (McCarthy, Bassett - a few years back, Curbs, Warnock, Megson) because they have played in it and know what is required and many more who will really struggle.

spot on ormy dude. good post, good to see you back fella

I think if we signed cook that would be a good signing, proper left winger him.
  • Options
    I am a "For" rather than a "Against"