Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Letting Off Steam....

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
I'm still fuming after yesterday!

We were joke you wouldn't of thought it was a game we had to win. QPR were first to the second ball closed us down quicker and in general just wanted it more than us.

The sad thing is we just don't have a cutting edge. Matty Holland is getting on but does an ok job as a ball winner in the middle of the park. Zheng Zhi is just so light weight (I'd love to have a 50/50 tackle with him).

When we do get the ball in the middle of the park we pass it around (sometimes) but dont really know what to do with it. We miss Andy Reid's so much.

Lita didnt really have a sniff up front and Gray for his size is so light weight. We despratly need a striker who can hold the ball up or at least win a flick on is that too much to ask?

Late in the second half the players even started arguing with each other and were just trying to kick QPR off the park.

I dont mind losing but I at least want some pride, hunger and fight out there, something that was really lacking!

There needs to be some serious changes in the summer!

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Spud

There needs to be some serious changes in the summer![/quote]

Then we will hear the same excuses as we did this year its a new team, the players need time to gel, we are still rebuilding.

I dont know what the answers are but we lose 5 loan players yes FIVE in the summer plus more likely yougo and others out of contract so there are already going to be whole sale changes without really doing to much.
  • Options
    I dont think the five loan players did much apart from keeping thier own fitness levels up.
    Danny Mills getting sent off at Xmas time sums up his attitude.
    Lita, not just yesterday, has been disapointing. The other 3 havent exactly pulled up trees.
    I hate losing just as much as the next man but its the manner in which you lose that counts. We seam to have a group of players that are going through the motions.
  • Options
    Quote: Cafcinperth: 'Then we will hear the same excuses as we did this year its a new team, the players need time to gel, we are still rebuilding.'

This season has been a missed oportunity for us to achieve promotion, or at least build a side that looks genuinely up for the challenge of promotion next season.

The 'gelling & the building' aspect of Pardews soundbytes/excuses, starts to ring a little hollow after a while. A case in point being what Warnock has achieved down at Selhurschwitz, with a side seemingly slipping toward 3rd tier status at an early stage of this season.

With little investment from 'Hair Jordan', a mix of hungry youth, & a few shrewd loan signings, he has built a team(keyword), from what Peter Taylor left, & they've quietly gone about their business.
    Sadly, the quality, or lack of quality? debate about this league that pops up from time to time(generally), really amounts to the '6 of one, half a dozen of the other' as ultimately, regardless of the so called quality players we have, we just don't seem to have a 'team', or the spirit of one.

We have seen the rise of so-called 'physical teams', but at the end of the day, these are the teams that have played as one, with spirit, belief & passion & ultimately, passion for their cause

I haven't been a 'Pardew basher' yet, & I won't become one yet, as, ever the optimist, I think he might well get it right next year. I've always felt good things need time to develop, rather than the 'change manager every 5 minute syndrome' that we have become accustomed to in this modern age of football. But he really needs to instill some of that belief & passion that we know is the real spirit of Charlton. That, win, lose or draw, we get the sense that the team has given their absolute all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spud[/cite] Zheng Zhi is just so light weight (I'd love to have a 50/50 tackle with him).

I can't help but think that ZZ is over-rated generally. If he hadn't missed those sitters at the end on last season, we might never have been in the Championship in the first place. You have to question why no-one else took him at the end on last season.
  • Options
    Once it is culled to manageable levels, I do not think we have too bad a squad, compared to most teams at this level. the fact that everyone (well a lot) feel that the key difference between promotion and mid table is down to one player - Reid - and a few others point to one other player - Todoroov - implies that the problem is solvable with a couple of shrewd quality investments. I'dlike to see a decent central midfielder with a bit of pace, a bit of steel and the abiltiy to pass forward and a decent forward and the manager actually be able to blend a team out of a 24 player squad - which is rseally what we have missed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spud[/cite]Zheng Zhi is just so light weight (I'd love to have a 50/50 tackle with him).

I can't help but think that ZZ is over-rated generally. If he hadn't missed those sitters at the end on last season, we might never have been in the Championship in the first place. You have to question why no-one else took him at the end on last season.

I may have got this wrong but one of the Directors explained that because China were outside the 75th spot in Fifa rankings he wouldnt get a permit for a Premier Club at that time and could only sign for Charlton because he had previously been here on loan.

ZZ appears to be in the same category as Ambrose. You either like him or you dont. If offers came in for either in the Summer I would sell both. To me the whole midfield needs refreshing.