Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Wright & Woolwich & District League from 30 years ago

Comments

• Options
    I used to play for LAC Rovers - and our home ground was first at Pippenhall, backing on to the Sparrows Lane training ground - and then at the Meridian from about 1977 onwards.

The story of LAC Rovers - Lewis Away Coaches ......and the Rovers bit - because we 'roved' the country watching all Charlton away games. It all grew out of the fantastic kick about matches we used to have at the motorway service station lorryparks, when the coaches stopped for a break.

Eddie Cecil was the coachdriver and became Chairman of the club and Peter Page was manager.
    Big Chris Slattery was our skipper.

Our local derby match was against Charlton Supporters FC, who also played in the Woolwich League, managed by Wyn Jones, bless her ...."Come on my little Indians", she shouted to them once as the match kicked off. We all fell about laughing! But she'd do anything for her lads, the Woolwich & District League committee and, of course, Charlton Supporters club. Legend.

The LAC v Charlton Supporters fixture once even made minor headlines in the old Kentish Independent.
    "Family Double", it said. My old man had to start because a car load of our players got held up, and having not played
    for 15 years, scored after 10 mins. I got the other with a near post header - and we won 2-0.
    Happy days!

For a while, Paddy Powell managed 279, didn't he?
    And there was also Cormac Roadstone in the league.

Who did you play for, GH?
  • Options
    i played mostly for Barnehurst but also played for North Heath Social and one ot two others as a ringer.

It was Tarmac Roadstone.

Harrow North End was another

Chris Slattery also played inanother team in the Woolwich + D some weird name it had. He wasnt the same chap after he badly broke his leg.

Evan Cooke nasty bastards on pitch ok off it.
  • Options
    Oggy, my old man knows your old man very well.

My Dad played in goal for LAC Rovers and Chris Slattery (and his wife Barbara) are my godparents...also know Eddie Cecil well.

Up until last season I played in the merged Woolwich and District / Eltham and District for Polyweights FC, played for them for 15 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]i played mostly for Barnehurst but also played for North Heath Social and one ot two others as a ringer.

It was Tarmac Roadstone.

Harrow North End was another

Chris Slattery also played inanother team in the Woolwich + D some weird name it had. He wasnt the same chap after he badly broke his leg.

Evan Cooke nasty bastards on pitch ok off it.

Cormac Roadstone, lol - my memory! .... course, it was Tarmac.
    We played them in LAC's first ever Woolwich & District fixture, beat them 3-1.
    Scored on my debut, solo goal. Jerome Thomas eat your heart out......!

Chris Slattery ran half the length of the pitch to call me a "Greedy F*cker!"

When it went a bit tits up at LAC Rovers, a few of us joined Union 97 FC, Chris Slattery included.
    I remember the game he broke his leg, a sickening break for him.

I played mainly midfield and as a right winger, my party trick was to get to the byeline and dribble to the near post, and pass the ball square to my onrushing forwards (they couldn't miss from that range) .......or if the keeper read that move to cut off the square option, I used to dink the ball in the gap he left between himself and his near post.
    Used to score 10 goals a season like that.

So you played for Barnehurst and North Heath, Gooner?

Did you say you were a fullback?
    Must have played against each other - as well as for the same Woolwich League side matches.
  • Options
    No mate see im not GOONER am i !!!!!!

yes left back mostly. Played up front against Union 97 scored with a diving header and a pen.

Also played for North West Kent schools against a team from the States called Blueberry Wine Soccer accademy.They where coached by Gordon Jago. was 5 nil up after 15 mins so we swopped defence and attack to give em a chance. 8 nil at half time. Local press was there poor old Gordon came over and asked us to take it easy !

Played for Blackheath Schools as well cant remember how i got to play for em, now they were very very good. had a forward who was an Arsenal yoof team player with Liam Brady etc.

Also took pens at The valley in a testimonial cant think whose it was tho, met Booby Moore CAFC were playing WHU.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Oggy, my old man knows your old man very well.

My Dad played in goal for LAC Rovers and Chris Slattery (and his wife Barbara) are my godparents...also know Eddie Cecil well.

Then your Dad is Les Turner ......? And your mum Bobbie?
    They'll remember me!

Your Dad was a legend on the Lewis's coach ....... he knew every single Charlton song, word perfect.
    And your Mum used to sing Beatle's songs!

Blimey! It's a small world, Danny!
    Please give them my regards.
  • Options
    re peter page.

did he used to referee? or have something to do with reffing?
    if so my dad also knows him.
  • Options
    Hello PBS, yep!

He qualified to become a referee himself and reffed until he was about 58, I think.
    Also used to take the referee classes, training up the wannabee refs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

my dad was once one of them wannabee refs. gotta be 25 years ago now.

***feels old, reaches for another werthers original****
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Oggy, my old man knows your old man very well.

Then your Dad is Les Turner ......? And your mum Bobbie?
    They'll remember me!

Your Dad was a legend on the Lewis's coach ....... he knew every single Charlton song, word perfect.
    And your Mum used to sing Beatle's songs!

Blimey! It's a small world, Danny!
    Please give them my regards.

Spot on mate, small world indeed.....would I know you if I saw you or would you know me by sight ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]No mate see im not GOONER am i !!!!!!

yes left back mostly. Played up front against Union 97 scored with a diving header and a pen.

Sorry, mate ......Freudian slip. Just wasn't thinking........ ;o)

Scored against us, eh? Who gave away the pen, Big Chris?
    Wouldn't surprise me:

Ref would point to the spot and Big Chris would go ape.
    "I WENT FOR THE F*CKING BALL, REF", he'd bellow at the poor ref, who thought he was going to get thumped.

He'd gone for the ball, allright. But he wasn't going to let the small matter of bulldozing the player from behind,
    get in the way. lol
  • Options
    So let me get this right.

Ian Wright is Oggy's dad?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

my dad was once one of them wannabee refs. gotta be 25 years ago now.

***feels old, reaches for another werthers original****

What's your Dad's name, PBS? ...... I'd be pleased to mention hm to my Dad, I'm sure he'd remember.

Dad's 76 now, still a ST holder at The Valley.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    A good number of those teams were made up of CAFc peeps though.

LAC
    Barnehurst
    CAFc supporters
    Harrow North End
    Rochester Way (old Eltham faces)

was also sent off against LAC at Bourne Rd. I gave away a pen the guy twated me. Not sure why he had the pen ? so i belted him back and it all went off. I remember hearing Slattey screaming from the other end of the pitch and lucky for me i guess some one grabbed him before he got down other end !Thing was as we both walked towards the dressing room both bloodied we were talking about charltons next away game !

It was (barnehurst and Harrow) that had the fight in the car park with St Paul`s
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]So let me get this right.

Ian Wright is Oggy's dad?

Erm, WSS........no, probably not.

Sorry sir, are we off topic?
    Good job AFKA's away, ha ha!

Just suddenly finding out some of us have got a few connections..........
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Spot on mate, small world indeed.....would I know you if I saw you or would you know me by sight ???

Dunno, Eltham ...........but your Dad would.
    I'm living in deepest, darkest Cornwall these days, but I get back to Charlton & Kent as often as I can.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Dunno, Eltham ...........but your Dad would.
    I'm living in deepest, darkest Cornwall these days, but I get back to Charlton & Kent as often as I can.

give me a shout when you are next up, I'm always in the Con Club before games
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]give me a shout when you are next up, I'm always in the Con Club before games

Love to, Eltham. Would your Dad be there, too?
  • Options
    Edited the title for clarity's sake ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Edited the title for clarity's sake ;-)

I'm in big trouble now, for hijacking the thread .........

Good morning, LoOKie, how's Bermuda?

"Wake up, wake up you sleepy head,
    Get up, get up, get out of bed,
    Cheer up, cheer up, the sun is red,
    Live, love, laugh & be happy ....."

Nothing like a nice cheerful song to start your day. :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won the Dewar shield for Charlton Lib club about 5-6 years ago, won promotion twice and a cup each season then folded due to people not paying their subs, and your right Charltons name is on the shield.
  • Options
    Eddie Cecil.......I know his son, also called Ed
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]was also sent off against LAC at Bourne Rd. I gave away a pen the guy twated me. Not sure why he had the pen ? so i belted him back and it all went off. I remember hearing Slattey screaming from the other end of the pitch and lucky for me i guess some one grabbed him before he got down other end !Thing was as we both walked towards the dressing room both bloodied we were talking about charltons next away game !

Great story, GH ......... LOL

Can't quite recall that particular incident, but rarely missed a match so was probably there.
    Like all teams, LAC had a hard man or two, but we all loved our football and a beer together with the other team after the game.

We had some good times back then ...... 30 years ago, jeez!

I
  • Options
    Peter Page, used to swear a lot, even seen him ref with a fag on before.

My dad was/is a ref for W&D, Chris T.

Used to be on the W&D committe as results man, did the website and the results into the papers, about 5-6 years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Edited the title for clarity's sake ;-)

Thread is not so much about my Dad, more the Woolwich & District League reminiscing from 30 years ago.
    Please rename thread: Ian Wright & Woolwich & District League from 30 years ago!

LOL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]Peter Page, used to swear a lot, even seen him ref with a fag on before.

My dad was/is a ref for W&D, Chris T.

Used to be on the W&D committe as results man, did the website and the results into the papers, about 5-6 years back.

Another one that will know my old man, on the Woolwich & District League.
  • Options
    Cheers, LoOKie! ;o)
  • Options
    Harvey Sports another team that was about in them days.

Once beat em 11 nil.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Harvey Sports another team that was about in them days.

Once beat em 11 nil.

In a dusty old box in a dark forgotten corner of my loft, I've some newspaper clippings of Woolwich & District League matches, old league tables & stuff. One day, I'll venture up there and see what I've still got left.........
  • Options
    Just bumping this thread for Southampton Addick