Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paddy Powell

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
I think its brilliant he is going to be recognised with a game this Summer.

A true Charlton hero, and a cracking down-to-earth fella to boot.

Comments

• Rangers ?
  • we won't be playing celtic or rangers, so lets kill that one now.

Keep this thread about Paddy please, ta.
  • Never seen him play so i can only judge him on his grass which is pretty damn good!
  • Click on the link below for a reminder of his play-off commentary. Superb. Bumped into him a year ago and mentioned we were running it on here at the time, he was well chuffed !

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4711
  • Powelly is a Charlton legend end of he lives and breaths us and he never ever is to busy to talk to you i for one will be at the match whoever we play

Afka you bad man putting that on there i have just listened to it and wanted to cry
  • Paddy is indeed a very grounded chap, calls a spade a spade.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Paddy is indeed a very grounded chap, calls a spade a spade.

very good.
  • quite happy to keep it about Paddy

But they mention a big club are we not allowed to discuss who we would like to see???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Paddy is indeed a very grounded chap, calls a spade a spade.

You hoe...
  • I can rake up plenty of Paddy memories...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite] You hoe...

I knew we should of turfed you off this site....
  • Fork off...
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I can rake up plenty of Paddy memories...

Jokes aside, having never seen him play, would love to hear some old stories.
  • Good sprinking of humour being shown here....
  • Let's see if we can roll the jokes on to a second page.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I can rake up plenty of Paddy memories...

Jokes aside, having never seen him play, would love to hear some old stories.

He was a great crosser of the ball and had the ability to take the ball really close to the defender before knocking it past him and getting away. He wasn't the quickest for a winger but could buy space through that ability as the defender had less time to turn and get after him. Stanley Matthews was similar in that respect, although my personal memories of Matthews are hazy, which is high praise.

In retrospect Derby should have bought Paddy as well as Killer because Paddy used to drop the crosses on a sixpence for him and he was much more effective when Paddy was playing.

I think he was probably too self effacing for his own good as a player (possibly because he came into the game late) because had he blown his own trumpet more i'm convinced he'd have played in the old first division.

He certainly had the ability to and when I see him leaning on his fork on matchdays now I wonder what he thinks of some of those masquerading in Charlton shirts over the last couple of seasons.
  • I wonder if Paddy calls the South Stand Jimmy SEED?
  • Watched him as a youngster and can only remember him being a demon crosser of the ball...
    Taken from Colin Camerons Valiant 500
    'Theo Foley could have secured Powell for £1500 in 1970/1 season but didn't get the go ahead from Charlton.(he was signed 2 years later for £10k)
    From the start of his Charlton career , he became an immediate favourite with the fans and he was one of that rare breed that if news got around that he was sidelined by injury or otherwise, it had an effect on the attendance(crap support)
    When Paddy was in form, there were few, if any, wing men more exciting to watch and a measure of his skill is the number of penalties awarded for fouls on him. In all , there were 13 , comfortably more than any other player in the clubs history '
    sounds like a diver;-)
  • Paddy always shone at Manure.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Rangers ?
    LOL....how quick was that?
  • Sponsored links:

• are we due to play Valencia this summer ? Thought it was part of the tie up and they couldn't make it last year due to CL qualifying matches. Would be a good game for Paddy if Man Utd can't make it.
  • I think with the focus of testimonials to be a fitting tribute to a player for dedicating time and effort, I don't think that money made from the event should go back into policing the fans of the opposing team. Obviously this will be taken into account when choosing the team for the match.

lets hope its a good team anyway. hes a lovely fella.
  • I never saw him play but he is far and away my dads favourite ever player. Said his crossing was something to behold. He also allowed me and my little brothers on The Valley pitch before a game against Tottenham on one of their birthdays a few years back as a special treat. It was organized through a family friend but he called my dad personally to arrange it. Was very nice of him and will always be appreciated.
  • If only we had Powell, Hales and Flanagan now, it would be so more entertaining. Everytime these boys got the ball you just felt a goal was going to come. It's a shame we didn't have any defenders in those days coz I'm sure we would have been a force to be reckoned with.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Never seen him play so i can only judge him on his grass which is pretty damn good!

Never tried it myself but if you say it's good stuff I'll take your word for it!

I saw Paddy play many times and i was always amazed that he could get down the wing and get decent crosses in when he smoked so many cigarettes. Right chain smoker he was - not so sure about these days!

A good player for us and scored some pretty good goals too!
  • He's always in the bookies when at the Valley, the one across the road from the station.
  • What a player he was. Could cross a ball more accurately than anyone I've ever seen in the red shirt plus he had a rocket shot. In those innocent days you could yell out "Roast 'em Paddy" and not end up in the News of the World the next day.
  • You only have to watch that Hales goal against Hull that won goal of the season on the Big Match in 1976 to see what he was all about. Brilliant run from one end of the pitch to the other before dropping his cross on a pin for Killer to smash home from about 5 yards out. Absolutely brilliant. What a great player & what a great guy.
  • As one of the old gits on here, I've seen Paddy play most of his home games and a good many of his aways.

Len Glover sums up his wingplaying abilities nicely. Every so often though, he'd unleash a piledriver 25 yarder;
    one against Palace after we'd hit both posts with the same shot - it came out and he hit it again, the keeper must have been mesmerised as it hit the back of the net.

Another time was a fantastic blast for the winner in an evening against Brighton. We'd been 2-0 up and coasting, Brighton pulled it back to 2-2 and then in inimitable Charlton style, gifted them the lead. Back we came and equalised and with the clock running down, Paddy exhanged passes on the right wing, cut inside, and with his wrong foot just hit it from way outside the box. The ball hit the back of the net before the keeper moved.
    What a goal to crown a fightback, 4-3.

But the best thing about Paddy was the way he treated fans. He always found time to talk to supporters, discuss games and even his own performance. He'd chat away to fans before every away game, before miserable Andy Nelson put a stop to it. But I remember, after the 1975 Preston 3-1 promotion victory, fans and players were all in the old Valley Club together. I was having a beer with Paddy, and cheekily asking him why he never accelerated after beating a defender. He told me that he'd never thought about it before! .......but would work on it in pre-season training......

Around that time, I'm sure he was also involved in running/coaching the 279 club in the Woolwich & District League.
    on Sundays. Rumour has it he played as a ringer for them on more than one occasion(!)

A real supporter's player. I nominated him on another thread recently, as my favourite Charlton player, along with his brother, Chrissie....!
  • http://www.bfcsa.co.uk/0405/articles/ricky.htm

Little bit of Paddy Powell content. General interest too if you remember the era....