Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Officials - Referees

Anyone else think the standard of refereeing this season from grass roots to Premier League has been terrible?

The best referees I have seen have all been the europeans. All refs should be ex players - FACT!!!

The fact I was sent off last night in an end of season friendly with our reserve side, cannot chew on the left side of my mouth from a forearm, and have a 8" by 4" bruise around my knee (yep, both challenges unpunished) is nothing to do with this post ;-)

Comments

• Options
    yeah very poor

a little commn sense would be nice on some of the decisions
  • Options
    What gets me is when the ref says this is the 2nd or 3rd time you committed a yellow card offence i will give you a yellow card.
  • Options
    You are probably right but you players have probably driven the decent ones out of the game with the abuse. I've stopped refereeing purely for that reason.the pay at sunday league level - ususally about 25 quid - is a joke bearing in mind the amount of abuse.

we have to put up refereeng with no linesman and most of the people who do it are about as unbiased as possible and most of the time don't know the offside law (mind you i think i'd struggle with it now)

BUT I do make you right about refs should have played the game at some sort of level it definitelyy helps - but you'll never get ex players doing it they don't need the money. Maybe the lower league ones or non league players. But to get to the top takes a long long time.
  • Options
    we were virtualy raped and pilaged last night and every challenge whent un punished but as soon as a complaint was made the officials acted.
    I agree that officials have no respect but if they were to be able to understand how the game is played and not just the written laws then respect would follow.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i still think that the personalities of the ref comes through

Rob Styles = ego maniac and that ruins his chances of being a good ref before he even crosses the line

the best Ref i saw was Roger Milford who had charecter but was also blessed with common sense and a sense of humour and controlled games without being an officious hitler I think we were his last game that he ever officiated and i think he got a great reception and ovation

the closest imo at the moment is Howard Webb but he seems to have been fast tracked and i fear he will fall foul of the fifa brigade and loose his own style in order to comply which would be a shame
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Problem is they are now losing so many refs due to the abuse they are desperate. so the ones that stay in and go on the promotion ladder are a mixture of the good ones already working up and the poor ones - the poors one inevitably get given games played by you lot and the better ones are reffing decent games by that I mean saturday afternoon football

only the ones on the promotion schemes have any comeback on their performances as they are assessed whereas the one that are not ie the old duffers and overweight refs are still plying their trade and are poor refs and their the ones that give the good ones a bad name and frustrate you sunday footballers.

what it needs are people like AFKA and his like who don't play football anymore, for one reason or another, to take up refereeing so the standards improve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]what it needs are people like AFKA and his like who don't play football anymore, for one reason or another, to take up refereeing so the standards improve.

I've actually reffed 4 games this season, and if i'm honest done ok. Couple of teams said i was the best ref they had had all season which i took as a compliment as i'm not qualified and don't know the rules !

Three points though:

1. I'd never do it, the expectations of perfection from untalented players is completely unrealistic, and even a correct decision wile lead to a barrel of abuse.

2. If you talk to players throughout the game, joke with them, compliment them when they do something well, they are less likely to lay into you if you make a mistake.

3. If you have never picked up the whistle before, it is ten times harder than what you expect. You have to concentrate twice as hard as a player, cannot switch off for a second, have to make more judgment / probability calls than you realise due to bodies in the way, players crossing in front of you, staying close to the action but not caught up with the ball or impeding the next pass etc.

I applaud and thank anyone that goes out and does it, regardless of whether they are good or bad.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i reffed an under 12's game this year and loved it the only issue was that within 5 mins i was called a pussy clarrt for giving a foul the kid was nearly as tall as me and didnt want to listen to why i called him back for a foul.

i asked his manger to come on and speak to him and told him if any of his players do it again i will ask him to sub them and not bring them back on and if he refused then i would send him off.

the manager told me i should take an element of comments from the players, my response was as adults you expect the comments but from a child not even 12 ,

no i shouldnt and if he finds it acceptable then there is no surprise that his team did.

the child in questions dad came on asked me what he had said i told him he gave his son one almighty bollocking infront of all his pals and told the mgr in no uncertain terms that he had spoken too him 2wice b4 about the teams lack of respect for officals and parents who have tried to ref their teams and that this was the last game his 2 sons would play for this team.

the game turned into one of the most enjoyable games that i had been involved in and i did the same as AFKA said applauded good play, pointed out poor decisions especially that resulted in silly off sides and fouls

the kids said i was a great ref both teams have asked me to ref this season and it is something i may now seriously consider seeing as the doctor has advised no more football for me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    I applaud and thank anyone that goes out and does it, regardless of whether they are good or bad.

totally agree, whenever i play and people start moaning and giving the ref grief i always say well does anyone else wanna do it and no one has ever volunteered yet!
    there is no game without a ref and on a few occassions when a ref hasn't turned up there's always a lack of volunteers to take over the mantle
  • Options
    I've never reffed a football game, but I occasionally umpire cricket matches and that can cause enough problems, I was even "accidentally" barged into on one occasion when failing to give a caught behind decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]we were virtualy raped and pilaged last night and every challenge whent un punished but as soon as a complaint was made the officials acted.
    I agree that officials have no respect but if they were to be able to understand how the game is played and not just the written laws then respect would follow.

....all this and you were playing your reserve side, who I'd imagine are (mostly) your mates !
  • Options
    ....all this and you were playing your reserve side, who I'd imagine are (mostly) your mates !

In my experience inter-club matches are some of the hardest games - everyone is trying to score points over their mates.
  • Options
    I know, my club gave them up years ago (before we folded!)
  • Options
    I played in a game a couple of seasons ago where the ref didn't turn up and there manager offered to do it, midway through the 2nd half the ref and one of his own team ended up having a punch-up over a decision he made, my team just stood there amazed as the oppo piled in to break it up.

A bit off the subject (sorry AFKA), went and watched my mates reserve team last night over at Beaverwood and the team they were playing had a kid that had just signed for our youth team playing for them, trying to get my mate to find out what his name was, never seen someone get kicked so much, he's just turned 16.
  • Options
    I think AFKA has hit it on the head with this comment

2. If you talk to players throughout the game, joke with them, compliment them when they do something well, they are less likely to lay into you if you make a mistake.

Too many refs this season have been control freaks and in some cases a bit 'mentally challenged' (I mean the last bit with all sincerity). They ignore you blank you and dont explain any decisions and always seem to make four wrong decisions before a right one.

I got booked last season for getting a sip of water (slightly off the touchline!!) whilst a player was down injured. I was at Hall Place FFS!!!!

I have reffed myself as a lot of levels not high ones I may add, which would be a lot easier that the ones I have done include homeless league, something any ref should give a go to realise that Sunday league players aint that bad compared to a cracked up Kosovan!!!)
  • Options
    I know someone who ran a Sunday pub side and had to supply a ref for a game so he asked a very good friend to do it as he was a qualified non-league referee.He turns up does the game then in his report mentions there was no corner flags on the pitch and that the club should be fined a fiver for each flag missing.

So a 20 quid penalty for a supposed favour.!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]we were virtualy raped and pilaged last night and every challenge whent un punished but as soon as a complaint was made the officials acted.

mate,it was leathal at times, 1 bloke ended up in hospital having his forhead stitched back on, loads of split shinpads!! and i have concussion.
  • Options
    I've always thought some of the players released at an early age, especially on an injury basis, could be developed and fast tracked into refereeing on a half decent wage, afterall there is enough money in football to pay them. They could start at say Rymans League level and work their way up from there.

On the top level of football, I would not be adverse to seeing a body independent of the FA that was responsible for La Liga, Premier League, Bundesleague and Italian league and supplied referees from all nationalities to referee in each league.
  • Options
    You lot slate me for it but, seriously, during the summer go to a rugby match. Any level from grass roots to the very top and watch how the ref is treated. There's no lack of passion during the game, but when the ref makes a decision that's that... and when he's giving players a talking to, they don't interupt him but listen and then a simple 'yes sir' before walking away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]You lot slate me for it but, seriously, during the summer go to a rugby match. Any level from grass roots to the very top and watch how the ref is treated. There's no lack of passion during the game, but when the ref makes a decision that's that... and when he's giving players a talking to, they don't interupt him but listen and then a simple 'yes sir' before walking away.

Totally agree. Last Sidcup match I saw some fans started on the Ref (he did make some bizarre decisions) and they were soon told to button it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

mate,it was leathal at times, 1 bloke ended up in hospital having his forhead stitched back on, loads of split shinpads!! and i have concussion.

How did you end up doing this season in the end ?.
  • Options
    On our day we would beat any team in the league, we just didnt have that day in any of the league games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!