Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remember these kits?

Comments

• Options
    an away kit a la 1964-66 is the order of the day!
  • Options
    Love 78-80 and 91-92 best

I have 72-73
  • Options
    91-92 me old fav
  • Options
    74-77 for me
  • Options
    the best charlton top i ever had was my charlton supporters donor card teeshirt that my second cousin matt and his mates knocked up, my mum wouldnt let me wear it to the footie coz i was only 15 and she said i would get beaten up over it still got it somewhere, oh and the we beat the scum 2-0 millwall teeshirt and the legendary leaburn hatrick shirt from portman road was at that game was amazing, all 3 goals and no headers! and peter garland sat behind me and my mate. would love an away shirt that looks like the 60's one or the white sau paola one we had in 96 that was smart. love looking at the old kits i still have my very first charlton shirt at home its the 1988 home shirt sadly doesnt fit anymore funny that after 20 years! cant think why that is.
  • Options
    56 -57 for me plain and simple without doubt imo the best kit on there
  • Options
    the addidas kits all day
  • Options
    That 1923 kit looks OK. Club shop should do a version of it.
  • Options
    84-86 kit was my favourite, and always will be. Used to imagine I was playing for Man utd (very similar kit back then) whilst kicking a ball about over Charlton Park.

i mean come on, who could you have aspired to be back then? Peter Mountfield, Les berry, Paul curtis.

Didnt think of being a charlton player in the playground until we signed Ronnie Moore and Rob Lee came through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]56 -57 for me plain and simple without doubt imo the best kit on there
    agreed. and the away should be a straight reversal of that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    82/83 Simonsen and all that
  • Options
    Quality website.

i know i might get abuse for looking but noticed that millwall played in red for 1 season a very long time ago hehe
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]56 -57 for me plain and simple without doubt imo the best kit on there
    agreed. and the away should be a straight reversal of that

also agreed, except the sword should be on it IMHO so 68-69 gets it for me..
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That 1923 kit looks OK. Club shop should do a version of it.

:-)

Blue has no place on a charlton kit at all! OPINION!
  • Options
    I reckon if we made that 56-57 kit now it would be the best seller ever just add an old style Sword and make sure the sponsor was done aproprietly
    bags of money to the club
  • Options
    Like the 64 kit myself
  • Options
    afternoon tel
  • Options
    http://www.toffs.com/invt/1339

rather like that one..
  • Options
    Nice to have it affirmed that we've always kept (except for one season in blue, and a bit of a go at white) to the same traditional colours. Take a look at Palace in comparison - they seem to have an identity crisis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]an away kit a la 1964-66 is the order of the day!

Agreed!
  • Options
    My first season was the 67/68 one with the all red shirt. It was repeated again in 69/70. It reminded me of Liverpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The all white with red flashes (as they were called) is definitely the best. I've seen this link before but no one has ever explained why we wore light blue and dark blue stripes for one year. Does anyone have any info on this?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]The all white with red flashes (as they were called) is definitely the best. I've seen this link before but no one has ever explained why we wore light blue and dark blue stripes for one year. Does anyone have any info on this?

Catford Southend's colours. It was the season we were playing at the Mount in Catford.
  • Options
    Catford Southend's colours - I can honestly say I never knew that. Another interesting fact to log in the brain.
  • Options
    This will help.

The club is based at The Valley, where it has played at since 1919, apart from one year in Catford, during 1923–24, and seven years at Crystal Palace and West Ham United between 1985 and 1992.

Charlton turned professional in 1920 and first entered the Football League in 1921. Since then, it has had four separate periods in the top flight of English football; between 1936 and 1957; 1986 and 1990; 1998 and 1999, and 2000 to 2007. Historically, Charlton's most successful period was the 1930s, when the club's highest league finishes were recorded, and the 1940s, when the club reached the FA Cup final twice, winning in 1947.

Charlton Athletic were formed on June 9, 1905 by a group of 15 to 17 year old boys in an area of Charlton which is no longer residential, near where the Thames Barrier is now. In the club's early years of existence, its progress was hampered by the nearby presence of Woolwich Arsenal F.C. (now Arsenal), which was one of the largest clubs in the country, and Charlton spent the years preceding the war playing in local leagues. Woolwich Arsenal's move to North London in 1913 gave Charlton an opportunity to develop, and they became a senior side by joining the Lewisham League. After the First World War, they joined the Kent League for one season (1919–20) and then becoming professional, appointing Walter Rayner as the first full time manager. They were accepted by the Southern League and played just a single season (1920–21) before being voted into the Football League. The club's first Football League match was against Exeter City in August 1921, which was won 1–0. In 1923 it was proposed that Charlton merged with Catford Southend to create a larger team with bigger support. In the 1923–24 season Charlton played in Catford at The Mount stadium and wore the colours of 'The Enders', light and dark blue vertical stripes. However, the move fell through and the Addicks returned to the Charlton area in 1924, returning to the traditional red and white colours in the process.

Gotta love the internet!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Nice to have it affirmed that we've always kept (except for one season in blue, and a bit of a go at white) to the same traditional colours. Take a look at Palace in comparison - they seem to have an identity crisis.

Agreed......but then we always knew that! ;-))
  • Options
    Current No 1 away strip is supposedly based on the old Catford one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]an away kit a la 1964-66 is the order of the day!

Agreed!

Double agreed - reckon that would be a quality away kit!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Current No 1 away strip is supposedly based on the old Catford one.

Never! : -)
  • Options
    Next question, Henry.....

From memory, Catford Wanderers of the Southern Amateur League play in light blue and dark blue quarters - is there a link here?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i posted this a while back when discussing kits.
    not as detailed or probably as accurate as rothko's link, but shows away kits aswell.