Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Dead Irish by John Lescroart, as recommended by one of you lovely people - apologies it was a while back so I don't remember exactly who it was. 

Took a while to get going, but by halfway I was hooked. Murder mystery with a few twists and turns. The first of sixteen novels featuring Dismas Hardy - a former cop and lawyer who has turned his back on the rat race and works in a bar. He's lured back into investigation as a favour to a friend. Already got the second novel in the series.   
     better late than never .. I've been recommending Lescroart for years
    Could well have been you then Lincs. Thanks very much.  
  • Options
    Dead Irish by John Lescroart, as recommended by one of you lovely people - apologies it was a while back so I don't remember exactly who it was. 

Took a while to get going, but by halfway I was hooked. Murder mystery with a few twists and turns. The first of sixteen novels featuring Dismas Hardy - a former cop and lawyer who has turned his back on the rat race and works in a bar. He's lured back into investigation as a favour to a friend. Already got the second novel in the series.   
    you can always check 'search' at the top of the page .. very informative sometimes
  • Options

you can always check 'search' at the top of the page .. very informative sometimes
    No it was someone else then, as it was before December and later than October 2017 when it happened. Search doesn't always come up with every reference, I have found.  
  • Options

No it was someone else then, as it was before December and later than October 2017 when it happened. Search doesn't always come up with every reference, I have found.  
    hahahahaha .. right oh
  • Options
    'Britain's War Machine' .. David Edgerton .. 
    Suggests that Britain was not the poor little lost lamb during WW2 as usually portrayed by historians of the period, especially at the start of the conflict.
    Edgerton maintains that Churchill, the master of propaganda, used the supposed and grossly exaggerated inferiority of Britain's armed forces, manufacturing and agriculture systems mainly to get US support. We were much more prepared for war and much better equipped than is suggested by most contemporary historians. 
    Well worth a read for a picture of 1930s/40s Britain and the impact on Britain and the Empire's civilian and military populations made before, during and after WW2
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Ghostman by Roger Hobbs. Roller-coaster of a thriller.
  • Options
    How to argue with a racist - Adam Rutherford. So far a fascinating account of the history and genetics surrounding race
  • Options
    Dry Bones that Dream - a Peter Robinson DCI Banks story. Excellent page turner as always, I vaguely recall the TV version, so I am going to try to find it on catch-up to compare while it's fresh in my mind. 
  • Options
    Lethal White - Robert Galbraith. One of the best detective novels I have ever read. Gripping from page one right to the end. For those who are not aware Galbraith is the pen name J.K. Rowling uses for this series of novels featuring private detective Cormoran Strike. All four books to date have been excellent, and I would recommend reading them in order, as the progression of the relationship between Strike and his female assistant turned business partner, Robin Ellacott, is a story in itself.     
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lethal White - Robert Galbraith. One of the best detective novels I have ever read. Gripping from page one right to the end. For those who are not aware Galbraith is the pen name J.K. Rowling uses for this series of novels featuring private detective Cormoran Strike. All four books to date have been excellent, and I would recommend reading them in order, as the progression of the relationship between Strike and his female assistant turned business partner, Robin Ellacott, is a story in itself.     

agree with this .. the first couple of books were televised by the BBC a while back .. J K is a bit of an unsung and versatile genius
  • Options
    I am reading this .. Le Carré is 88 years old, quire remarkable .. this is his best book (I m o) for the past 10/12 years .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Legacy_of_Spies .. a bit of a masterpiece if you like espionage/love stories
  • Options
    I am close to finishing Jo Nesbo's latest book featuring Harry Hole - "Knife".

LOVING it & don't want it to end ! 
  • Options
    I also loved the latest Harry Hole.
    Just finished the long awaited, latest Department Q book by Jussi Adler Olsen called 'Victim 2117'. If people haven't tried this series, I would really recommend them. Dept Q in Copenhagen, with Detective Carl Morck on cold cases, but assisted by a number of other strong characters. I really enjoy the black humour in them as well. 
    I would recommend starting with the first one of the eight.
  • Options
    I'm reading Le Carre's latest, Spy Running in the Field.
  • Options

agree with this .. the first couple of books were televised by the BBC a while back .. J K is a bit of an unsung and versatile genius
    First three have been televised. LA, Lethal White is being filmed. I thought the casting was pretty good other than Charlotte - no offence to the lady playing her - but not the "head turner" as described in the book?   
  • Options

First three have been televised. LA, Lethal White is being filmed. I thought the casting was pretty good other than Charlotte - no offence to the lady playing her - but not the "head turner" as described in the book?   
    according to wiki, another Strike book is out in late September, Troubled Blood .. the books seem to have got progressively longer, this one might be about 800 pages .. a thing to look forward, IF any bookshops survive the plague .. still there's always Amazon ..
     Charlotte ? … can't remember .. perhaps the beauty who plays Robin didn't want to be upstaged ((:>)
  • Options
    Was in Sainsburys yesterday and thought I'd see what books they had, there was about three left on the shelves, none to my liking so ordered a couple on Amazon.
  • Options
    This is a great thread, even more so in the current circumstances where we are stuck in the house.

Someone on here recommended the Ken Follett Century trilogy. So far I have zoomed through the first 2 books (both 800+ pages) and downloaded the third yesterday. If you like historical novels then these are real page turners. Highly recommended.

• Options

according to wiki, another Strike book is out in late September, Troubled Blood .. the books seem to have got progressively longer, this one might be about 800 pages .. a thing to look forward, IF any bookshops survive the plague .. still there's always Amazon ..
     Charlotte ? … can't remember .. perhaps the beauty who plays Robin didn't want to be upstaged ((:>)
    Yes - she is certainly more beautiful than "Charlotte". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc ltd's not yet published accounts - nothing very interesting or informative in there - douchebag's penny pinching saved him virtually fuck all while losing him the last atoms of respect and credibility of the staff - he continued to charge the football operation interest on the money he pissed up the wall in his desperate bungling, interest he never had any realistic chance of actually ever receiving.
    the strangest thing is that these accounts have been put up for public inspection on the OS, before they've actually been signed by the director(s), which in turn means the audit report won't have been signed/approved by the auditors.  No auditor puts its name to reports on financial statements until it's seen everything that the directors want to say in those statements - wonder what Nyman Libson Paul make of that? 
    It's probably just a timing issue but no less strange for that.  Compared to most of Nimer's ludicrous fuckwittery this is pretty minor but it does strongly suggest that we are lumbered with a whole new kind of crazy, no actual grasp of good practice or sense.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting we read the accounts when they come out @StigThundercock ?

Sounds a bit dry to me...  ;)
  • Options
    The Signal and The Noise by Nate Silver.  Has a great chapter on probability, roi, and stats of epidemics.  More focused on H1N1 as there's data from 1918 and other pandemic/epidemic outbreaks.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ColinTat said:
    The Signal and The Noise by Nate Silver.  Has a great chapter on probability, roi, and stats of epidemics.  More focused on H1N1 as there's data from 1918 and other pandemic/epidemic outbreaks.

There's a good post on his site about how hard it is to model the virus 
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-its-so-freaking-hard-to-make-a-good-covid-19-model/
  • Options
    This is a great thread, even more so in the current circumstances where we are stuck in the house.

Someone on here recommended the Ken Follett Century trilogy. So far I have zoomed through the first 2 books (both 800+ pages) and downloaded the third yesterday. If you like historical novels then these are real page turners. Highly recommended.

That was me. I wish I could whizz through books that quickly as I’m still on the first book of the trilogy The Fall of Giants. Less than 100 pages to go! 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

That was me. I wish I could whizz through books that quickly as I’m still on the first book of the trilogy The Fall of Giants. Less than 100 pages to go! 
    Well, it was a great recommendation @Solidgone and if you are enjoying the first one you won’t be disappointed by Winter Of The World. From the early pages of the final book, I suspect that will be just as good.

I made a New Year’s resolution to read more books this year and made a good start even without the current lockdown.
  • Options
    Dead Man's Footsteps - Peter James. A Roy Grace novel, lots to keep you guessing. I would suggest that anyone reading it who does not have a sharp memory keep a note of the characters as they go along. The plot moves around the world and jumps about in time occasionally so it would help you keep up. Recommended as always.    
  • Options
    'Winter Horses' .. by the late great Philip Kerr .. better known for his Gunther series .. this is a story written ostensibly for children but deserves a wider readership .. Jewish girl saves horses from the Nazis .. superbly, vividly written as is all of Kerr's work
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just read a cracking book by Simon Sebag Montefiore titled Sashenka. An insight into the Russian uprising of the Bolshevik, Stalin‘s brutality and an impact on a family. 
    just read this .. wonderful novel .. as Montefiore says in the Acknowledgements, sometimes a novel can bring home terrible histories much better than a dry old learned textbook 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just read a cracking book by Simon Sebag Montefiore titled Sashenka. An insight into the Russian uprising of the Bolshevik, Stalin‘s brutality and an impact on a family. 
    just read this .. wonderful novel .. as Montefiore says in the Acknowledgements, sometimes a novel can bring home terrible histories much better than a dry old learned textbook 
    @Lincsaddick It’s part of the Russian/Moscow trilogy; One Night in Winter and Red Sky at Noon (I’m yet to start them).