Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    One Two Three Four The Beatles in time.

A very pleasant read, crammed with anecdotes and nostalgia.  Just right for a little escape from the difficult times we face today.

One thing that really struck me is the similarity of the two photos below.  The pose, the newspaper, the fire, the bookcase. Bottom one is John Lennon's Aunt Mimi with a photograph of the superstar in the background.  The top one is my Mum with a photograph of your's truly superstar  'airy arsed engineer' (retired) in the background. 

I think it’s a great book ... full of fascinating vignettes about the Beatles that I never knew. 

Highly recommended. 
  • Options
    The Late Show - Michael Connelly. The first of his Renee Ballard series. Classic Connelly, great lead character, clever plot and a twist at the end. 

Basically she's a cop who has been moved to the night shift after she made a complaint of sexual harassment by a senior officer. Her partner failed to back her up, even though he witnessed the assault and many others in the department are aware he's a wrong-un. But she has taken the fall.

Called to a shooting in a night club where five people die, she keeps digging at the case even though it's supposed to have been passed onto the RHD headed up by her old boss, the groper. 

Sub plots abound, as they do with Connelly. 

Great read.          
  • Options
    Surviving Autocracy by Masha Gessen, about Trump and his kind in various parts of the world. Sorry to say, we aren't much different here. Frightening. Must read.
  • Options
    Fever of the Bone - Val McDermid. One of the Carol Jordan/Tony Hill series, and an absolute cracker it is. A serial killer, a new chief constable with a bad attitude (new chief constables are always band news) and more revelations about how utterly evil Tony's mother is... It's got it all.      
  • Options
    I've been reading One Bullet away by Nathaniel Fick 

Those of you who watched generation kill on sky about 10 years ago will recognise him and his US recon marines from that 

He is very erudite and has managed to capture memories fantastically. Heavy on detail but I dont mind that because it is so well written 
  • Options
    Quite intrigued by Richard Osman's debut novel, 'The Thursday Murder Club'. 

Already a best seller and signed by Spielberg for filming.  Pretty impressive, especially as it has yet to be released (Sept 3rd). 
  • Options
    Quite intrigued by Richard Osman's debut novel, 'The Thursday Murder Club'. 

Already a best seller and signed by Spielberg for filming.  Pretty impressive, especially as it has yet to be released (Sept 3rd). 
    Oh yes - I'll have a bit of that.  
  • Options
    Just finished The Institute by Stephen King. Really enjoyed it despite mixed reviews. I thought it was very typical early king. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    F*** You Very Much by Danny Wallace. All about rudeness, why people are rude and how it affects everyone else. It is fairly scientific study, with lots of references and interviews with serious academics who have studied the subject, given the common touch and made accessible by Wallace's style and humour.     

There are a couple of bits where I would have liked to question the text - a part where he says teenagers are hard wired to be rude because they don't know anything else at this stage in their life (I am simplifying) yet within a few pages says that teenagers were 40% less rude thirty years ago? 

Generally very readable, and the conclusions about how negatively it affects those around the very rude are quite surprising. But if you think you are one of the people who "tell it like it is", or claim to like people who do, it's probably not the book for you...          
  • Options
    F*** You Very Much by Danny Wallace. All about rudeness, why people are rude and how it affects everyone else. It is fairly scientific study, with lots of references and interviews with serious academics who have studied the subject, given the common touch and made accessible by Wallace's style and humour.     

There are a couple of bits where I would have liked to question the text - a part where he says teenagers are hard wired to be rude because they don't know anything else at this stage in their life (I am simplifying) yet within a few pages says that teenagers were 40% less rude thirty years ago? 

Generally very readable, and the conclusions about how negatively it affects those around the very rude are quite surprising. But if you think you are one of the people who "tell it like it is", or claim to like people who do, it's probably not the book for you...          
    Started reading that a while back and couldn't quite get into it for some reason.

Anyone giving Richard Osman's book a go?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Started reading that a while back and couldn't quite get into it for some reason.

It wasn't the book I was expecting - I thought it would be a lot more light hearted - so I can understand. I was wavering myself at one point Neil, but sticking with it was worth it.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I’ve just started reading his book but I’m sure Speedy Reader Gonzales aka Mr Algarve will have finished it by now 😉. Happy to give my feedback in a week or so. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’ve just started reading his book but I’m sure Speedy Reader Gonzales aka Mr Algarve will have finished it by now 😉. Happy to give my feedback in a week or so. 
    I am on a Peter James at the mo. May try and get Richard's book this week.  :)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I am on a Peter James at the mo. May try and get Richard's book this week.  :)
    You will still beat me even with a week’s start 🙃
  • Options
    Feet up staycation holiday reads 

Thirteen - Steve cavanagh 

i will find you - joe Kenda 
  • Options
    The Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss. Half way in, pretty good so far...
  • Options
    Dead Like You - Peter James. Finally filled in all the gaps in the Roy Grace series. Now only got the three most recent to read. A great one it is too. One of those where you really want the murderer to get what's coming to him. A well crafted book, set at a cracking pace with a slight sting in the tail. Hopefully they are starting on the delayed production of the TV series this month.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    the Thursday Murder club is amusing And enjoyable read. Not quite finished yet. A icross between Marigold hotel and Quartet (film). 
    And I’ve broken my reading glasses!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Filming of "Grace" started today.  :)
  • Options
    Just finished "The Spy and the Traitor" by Ben McIntyre. Very well-written, interesting and entertaining account of Oleg Gordiesky, a KGB agent who offered his services to MI6 and became the UK's (and possibly the West's) most useful provider of information and insight into the Soviet Union. The most interesting parts were his dramatic escape from the Soviet Union and that his insights revealed to Thatcher and Reagan that Andropov and the Soviet leadership were wrongly convinced that NATO was planning a pre-emptive nuclear strike - probably the closes we came to Armageddon aside from the Cuban missile crisis. 

Currently reading GBH by Ted Lewis (who also wrote the book that was turned into Get Carter) and Arguably: Essays by Christopher HItchens. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dead Lions - Mick Herron

2nd in the series of 'failed' MI5 officers. Just as good as the first book and I am not surprised the author has picked up so many awards. 

Have already purchased the 3rd and the 4th in the series. 

Comparisons have been made to Len Deighton, Graham Greene, and Evelyn Waugh, although I see him as a stand-alone. A thriller writer who can combine spies, humour, parody, and great characters. Rumours are that Gary Oldman is being lined up to take on the lead role in a movie of the first book, Slow Horses ... hope it's true. 
    Just finished book 3 in the series, Real Tigers. Best one yet. 

I have the next three in the series on my shelves but will need to ration them as book 7 not out until next year. 

Fortunately I have a couple of dozen other books on the shelves to catch up with.  Next will be The Sign of Seven Sherlock Holmes, seven novellas by different authors. 
  • Options
    Wings of War, Airmen of all nations tell their stories 39-45. Edited by Laddie Lucas. Fascinating for air force buffs. 
  • Options
    Wings of War, Airmen of all nations tell their stories 39-45. Edited by Laddie Lucas. Fascinating for air force buffs. 
    That sounds good 
  • Options
    Picked it up at Duxford in the week, and is very good. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    the Thursday Murder club is amusing And enjoyable read. Not quite finished yet. A icross between Marigold hotel and Quartet (film). 
    And I’ve broken my reading glasses!
    Enjoyed it, nothing amazing but a lovely, gentle read, especially for a murder mystery.

Currently on the audiobook of Troubled Blood, still read by Robert Glenister and strangely one of the characters is suddenly being called Isla after being Ilsa for 4 books.

Small thing but really jarring.
  • Options
    I've recently reread Valley Of Dreams by Alan Curbishley and No Substitute by Keith Peacock having recently regained access to my book collection.

Remembering those times makes you weep to see how we have fallen after all the graft to climb the pyramid. Curbs talking about the number of other clubs wanting 'to do a Charlton.'

A few years on and  we don't even know how long we'll have a club to support.

Absolutely gutting.
  • Options
    I’d weep if I had to reread those books @LenGlover. Two Charlton greats but let’s be honest they are not Sasha Swire.

Read GBH earlier this year @Jints. Liked it. 

Currently reading Victorians Undone by Kathryn Hughes. Looking at the Victorians’ bodies. It’s ok.
  • Options
    Just finished Alastair Campbell's Living Better: How I Learned to Survive Depression. He puts some folks off, of course. However, this is a powerful description of his battle with mental illness. I found the early chapters on his family moving, and some of the practical advice near the end of the book is quite helpful. I also appreciated the frank writing of his wife, Fiona, in the chapter she wrote.