Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Herman

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
Having been the first to jump ship last season i have spent 12 months resenting Herman, but today I watched him enjoying celebrations on the stage and I honestly can't hold it against him any more, such pleasure in winning, this time last year he was the record holder for taking clubs down, now he's Pompeys loon, well down Herman - Harry was good for you.

Comments

• Options
    I bear any grudges against him, any case if he didn't leave then I'm sure Charlton would have sold him/loaned him out anyway last summer as he was on Prem wages. He did a good job for us and went a bit stale in the last season (as others did) and I don't begrudge him this medal one bit.
  • Options
    sorry I can stand the bloke - he was a major factor in our relegation as he was shocking for us that season - yet has played very well for pompey WHICH says a lot for me.
  • Options
    Always liked Herman myself. At least he used to dhow a bit of fight and determination. Not always channelled the right way mind you, but he used to give it some.
  • Options
    he is the past not bothered
    As for a him playing shocking a lot have n the past ut seem to improve once left...........why is that ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]sorry I can stand the bloke - he was a major factor in our relegation as he was shocking for us that season - yet has played very well for pompey WHICH says a lot for me.[/quote]

There were plenty of players who under-performed last year, HH was one of them. Maybe he needed a new club.
  • Options
    Pleased for Herman, but yes he played badly for us last season, probably only stayed in the team because he had some character - unlike the rest of them!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]sorry I can stand the bloke - he was a major factor in our relegation as he was shocking for us that season - yet has played very well for pompey WHICH says a lot for me.

Bit harsh there Ledge. I don't think his form was a "major factor" in our relegation although it certainly could have been a contributory factor.

The Dowie/Reed debacles are what sunk us last season, not the performance of a single defender.

He is proving what a good player he is at Pompey and he did a great job for us for a long while albeit his form did fall away last year but then again so did the quality of his colleagues.
  • Options
    I liked him in his first few seasons, last year he was poor but like others have said he did give his all.
  • Options
    Ok ormy it was a major contributory factor.
  • Options
    Wouldnt you play poor if, when your club is relegated you could leave for free and get a massive signing on bonus with a new club knowing that your present club would receive nothing regardless of their financial position.

Pound note pratt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think people are being very harsh on Herman here. He gave everything while he was here and was one of our best players for his first few years here. He had a get-out clause, so what? Many players do and even if he hadn't had one he would have been sold in the summer anyway because we could not have afforded his wages.

He did not leave us in the lurch like Parker or Murphy and has never bad mouthed the club either so I don't get the antipathy towards him at all.
  • Options
    I like Herman, one of my favourite players for Charlton.

Had a great passion and gave his all. Maybe in the last couple of seasons his pace let him down but at Portsmouth he has two quality defenders to back him up in Campbell and Distin, what did he have with us? Exactly. Not that it excuses him.

Lack of effort is something i don't think you could ever accuse him of.

Even if its just for his penalty at Stamford Bridge and his acrobatics (??) afterwards he will always be looked favourably on in my eyes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I think people are being very harsh on Herman here. He gave everything while he was here and was one of our best players for his first few years here. He had a get-out clause, so what? Many players do and even if he hadn't had one he would have been sold in the summer anyway because we could not have afforded his wages.

I agree, can't believe anyone would say anything against HH. That clause done us a very big player, otherwise we would of had a player that realistically no one would of paid for and whose wages we could not afford to pay.
  • Options
    If you add into the equation his age, maybe it would be his last chance of premiership football. If so i don't think you can blame him.
  • Options
    All the best to HH as far as im concerned. He left at the end ofthe year. I thought he was one of the few who gave 100%. Dont mess with The Herminator.
  • Options
    Delighted for Herm. May not have had the most quality on the pitch, but never short of effort and never let anyone down prior to the relegation season. My favourite memory of Hermann was scoring that winner up at Ewood Park on a Monday night in a blood drenched head bandage.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I saw him at a meeting and i thought he was pretty funny. He always gave his all and showed a bit of passion, and I got the impression ol' Herman was a bit of a party animal, and having watched him yesterday in the background tended to confirm it.
    We knock some of our ex players, like Scotty etc, and yes I felt absolutely gutted when he left, but I think sometimes it is easy to forget that these players are young blokes, and I'm sure there are plenty of us on here who would have got up to at least as much mischief, got their heads turned and gone for the money and the stuff that goes with a bit of fame, had we half the chance at their age.
    I, of course, would have been much more sensible, and would have settled down every night with my cocoa, read my manager's autobiography, and made sure I was in bed at a REASONABLE hour. ;)
  • Options
    Redknapp quoted today:

"He made a lot of other people smile, too. Not least when he ran through his team and said people had told him he was mad to sign most of them.
    "You've got Hermann Hreidarsson for a start," Redknapp said. "He holds the world record for getting relegated at left-back"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]sorry I can stand the bloke - he was a major factor in our relegation as he was shocking for us that season - yet has played very well for pompey WHICH says a lot for me.

One fact missing from this thread ........ Herman spent much of last season playing with a bad knee injury, injections immediately before the match, rarely training between matches and no period for recovery.

How many players are going to be able to perform at the top of their game like that?
    And how many players would have cried off and not played at all.

Short memories, folks ....... credit to Herman for playing week in, week out in a Charlton shirt when it was common knowledge he was playing with injury.
  • Options
    sfgcha28p.jpg

_39676481_hreidarsson_gi300x245.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His performance at Blackburn sticks in my mind,
  • Options
    He wasnt a very good tennis player really a bit of toff. Ok for Davis cup sometimes.
  • Options
    Oggy

if he was injured he shouldn't have played - it couldn't have been that bad an injury he passed a medical at Portsmouth so makes me doubt this to be honest.
  • Options
    loved him when playing for us.......until I found out about the clause in his contract that allowed him to leave on a free if we were relegated.

How motivated was he going to be in the last few game sof that season knowing that he could go & pick up a lovely signing on fee somewhere else. Match fixing comes to mind here.

the football world has gone mad
  • Options
    I think the madness has been there for ages golfie - started with the Premiership...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Oggy

if he was injured he shouldn't have played - it couldn't have been that bad an injury he passed a medical at Portsmouth so makes me doubt this to be honest.

Hi Ledge,

Perhaps that should have been Pardew's decision. Or was.
    Perhaps Pards decided better to play him than not to.

He's not the only player that plays through the pain barrier when they shouldn't have been playing at all - but supporters frequently don't know that and are quick to slag off a player if he's not playing up to expectations.

Herman was one of those players who was always up for it and never hid in the game, even if he wasn't playing well.
    Look at the top WSS photo above - does it strike you as a picture of a player that didn't care?

Herman gave 4 or 5 seasons of intense committed service to Charlton - and we certainly got value for money.

I was surprised he left so soon after the end of the season - but that's his agent doing what agent's are good at.
    HH was 33 at the time - I don't blame him for wanting to stay in the Prem when the chance came.

He had the summer to recover and get fit.

This is a player's career and livelihood we're talking about here - so nearing the end of his career, he's got to do what he feels is best for him and his family.

And I'm pleased for him that he's got his FA Cup winners medal - players like Herman don't often get the chance in this day of big money club domination.
  • Options
    He's a very good player, loved him when he was at our place too, gutted when he left. He's just one of those players who always looks like he gives you 100%, and you can't ask for more than that.
  • Options
    ok oggy fair points raised - - - doesn't change anything for me but take your points
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]ok oggy fair points raised - - - doesn't change anything for me but take your points

Cheers, Ledge. At the end of the day it's only discussion
  • Options
    I'm glad Portsmouth won - would rather see Hermann celebrating winning the cup than have to suffer watching Hasselwank win it. Hermann always gave 100% for us, he had a poor season last year but was playing centre back a lot of the time which is not his best position for me.

My best memory of him was when he sent Dickov flying into the hordings in the Lower North with a neatly timed shoulder barge.