Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

fao Killers Beard...

edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
Just wondering how your arthritic ankle is progressing - I got final confirmation today that I have a moderately arthritic left ankle - just waiting for the surgeon to plan a course of action... he advised me to stop playing football immediately to avoid even more problems down the line

Now usually I would ignore such advice & play through the pain for the rest of this season (which over here runs May - September) - only trouble is the surgeon also plays central midfild in my team!!

Has yours worsened, stayed the same or even improved - any tips or advice appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Basically it depends on what I do Oakster. Can't remember if I said that a while ago I had an injection in the offending left ankle and for 6 months or so it was bloody marvellous, not a hint of pain and complete mobility.

Unfortunately that has long since worn off, so I'm back to trying to be careful what I do, which I am absolutely hopeless at doing. Don't get me wrong I'm not at the wheelchair stage, but if I walk for any decent distance, or heaven forbid, break into a trot, then I know I'm going to suffer for the next few days. If I'm honest I suppose it is marginally worse than this time last year, but I would guess that's normal.

I don't have a permanent limp or anything but now and again the ankle will give way and it hurts like hell for a bit.

I can go back for another injection, but I'm holding out for a while, (not just because the needle was the size of a harpoon and it was excruciatingly painful), it's just that I've never been a fan of taking any form of pain killers. Honest!!!!!!

Apparently I can go in and have some key hole stuff at the same time as the injection and they will clear out any crap, (apparently I have a small piece of bone loose in there), so I'm sure I will have it done at some point.

The surgeon also told me that ultimately, fusing the ankle bone would be a more permanent solution further down the line, but that brings with it reduced mobility so I'm sort of seeing that as the final option if every day walking becomes too painful to cope with.

Ankle supports are ok, but in truth they give little help except maybe psychologically. I'm the worlds best at giving advice and the world’s worst for taking any notice of it. I'll tell you to hang up your boots and settle down to a life of just watching the game, but I now that if anyone offered me the chance to have a kick around right now, I'd be out there in a shot.

As for the surgeon, of course he's right, as an occasional kick about is completely different to a full season playing and training, so you do have some tough choices to make mate.

Good luck with it though and hope it all goes well.