Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Money talking, one of the good guys loving football or general silliness?

WSSWSS
edited May 2008 in General Charlton
Mark Schwarzer has confirmed he turned down Juventus and Bayern Munich to sign for Fulham.

On Thursday, it was revealed that the Australian will join Fulham from Middlesbrough.

The 35-year-old has explained he could have moved abroad, but was keen to secure a starting role, rather than potentially play as back-up to Juve's Gianluigi Buffon.

"There were offers on the table but the only thing that mattered to me was regular first-team football," he said on Sky Sports News.

"And obviously someone like Juventus you don't have to be Einstein to work out that you have Buffon there and it is very unlikely you are going to play too many games under Buffon as he is such a world class keeper.

"And with Bayern Munich it was a similar situation with their goalkeeping situation.

"I want to qualify for the next World Cup and hopefully be part of that so I had to go somewhere I would be considered No.1."

Comments

• Options
    I reckon he could have earned more sitting on Juve's bench to be honest. At 35 he probably just wants to play out the last few years as a starter, fair play I say.
  • Options
    Dont you find it strange when all players state "I need to be playing football at this point my career" whether they are just starting out, in the middle of their career or coming to an end, always the same quote.
  • Options
    oh, and another thing that annoys me, players who quote "I have something to prove against them", ie they once went past a clubs ground on a bus, in a car, flew over on route to holiday and that club failed to sign them so they have a point to prove, the most tenious links you can think of.

Rant over
  • Options
    Living in London with loads of dosh like top Professional footballers do must be great. Turin, Munich or London I know which one I would go for if i had loads of dosh.
  • Options
    Not forgetting he gets a Harrods discount card at Fulham.
  • Options
    Top bloke, saw him interviewed on Aussie TV last night....seems genuine and very down to earth
  • Options
    So where's Niemi going then? cos surely he's their number one and I know who I think is the better one
  • Options
    Kasey keller was Fulham's #1 at the end of the season, but I think both he and Niemmi are out of contract, and both are the wrong side of 35 to be considered the future.