Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

working nights

edited May 2008 in Not Sports Related
anyone on here work nights regularly?

been doing it the last two weeks , one more week to go . How do you cope with it ? any tips , been killing my guts and takes me about two hours to come round when I wake up

Comments

• Options
    been doing nights for about 2 years,it takes about a month for your body and mind to adjust to doing the night shift,only problem is the weekends when you have go back onto daytime mode..
  • Options
    I did 3 shifts for a few years. I hated the night shift never got used to it.
    You could try having a couple of hours sleep in the evening before the shift starts. A bit anti-social.
    It certainly takes it out of you, I would never do it again.
  • Options
    working nights is not natural done it for a few months a few years ago never slept for more than three hours a day
  • Options
    must admit I've struggled , have to do 12 hours from 6pm to 6am but aint really doing any work as I'm really just there to make sure the sub contractors turn up on time and do what they're meant to be doing so most of the night after the first hour or so I'm just reading or sleeping but when I get back home I go to bed and the latest I sleep to is about midday.

Nice to do it financially but I'm tremendously bored each night as 12 hours goes by quite slowly , still I only have to do it for one more week and I only do four nights a week so have from friday at 6am to monday at 6pm at home which is nice.

Didn't manage to stay awake during the play off final today and had to drag myself off the couch to go to the gym . Could've done it in me younger days but not now
  • Options
    You do have to keep occupied. Reading isn't a great way to stay awake. Are you into games much? Since I got myself an xbox360 i seem to spend a lot of nights up til 6am without realising. Get yourself a PSP?
  • Options
    was thinking of borrowing my mates PSP as I'm pretty sure he doesn't really use it and I don't want to shell out on one with only a week on nights to go . Plus he had some films for it that I bought him and shed loads of games
  • Options
    I been working shifts for 4 years. I don't mind it generally its only when I do overtime that makes me change from nights to days then back again in a short space of time. That messes me up! I spend most of my time on my PSP or reading through the days conversations on here. If anything I prefer working nights because I don't have to get up early I can sleep in till 2/3 quite easily.
  • Options
    mate of mine loves nights

Dont think its for me
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I did nights for 7 years and it did take a bit of getting used to it but once i did it was a piece of cake,the only time it hurt was when i'd do a friday night and then go to a charlton away game and get back late saturday night.
  • Options
    I used to work nights when was living in Yeovil, many a trip up from Yeovil Junction to Waterloo on saturday having worked friday night, slept on the train, then train back from waterloo and back in work sat eve. The one time I thought Id treat myself and pay the upgrade to go 1st class to get some much needed sleep some woman comes into first class with appallingly behaved posh children 'rupert and humphrey'!

Im a good sleeper so didnt have too many probs with it once id settled. Winter much better than summer despite not seeing daylight it was a damn sight easier to sleep.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    got to the site where we are working last night for my first night back since thursday night friday morning to be told by the manager that my firm had told no-one we are going to be there this week. Rang my boss who said "well tell them we're gonna be there for the rest of this week from tonight and you'll have to go home , don't worry though you'll get your 18 hours pay as it was our mess up"

Now that's the kind of night work I like
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have done shift work for the past 4 years now, and doing nights at first was a killer. 7 x 10 hour nights on the spin just turned your body clock upside down, and i found i was slepping for a couple of hours in the afternoon a day, on my rest days. Was just cream crackered all the time. Gladly the most lot of nights i do on the spin is 3 x 12 hours, and to be honest i don't mind doing them now.

Always look forward to that pint (or 3) of guiness in the Market Porter just after 7 in the Morning, after the end of a run of nights.
  • Options
    bumped for CPL
  • Options
    used to do a four am start in Aussie, which meant up at 3. Apart from the work which was factory stuff and quite menial, it was great having the afternoons, few beers, lovely
  • Options
    I've worked a mixture of day and night shifts for over 9 years. I'm now on 12 hour shifts on a month shift pattern working half and half days and nights. I prefer working nights because I hate getting up early in the morning at 0430 to get to work.

Before the first night shift I tend to stay up late the night before and have a long lie in. After the last night shift I only have two or three hours sleep so that I can go back to bed at normal time at night. I'm then fine the following day.
  • Options
    Ran the chip & pin upgrade for tesco a few years back. Was the project manager, and the stores had to be upgraded outside working hours, which meant overnight.

Was stressful coz the stores had to be completed by the end of the night - no excuses acceptable - but, looking back, was one of the best jobs i've ever had and thoroughly enjoyed working nights.am quite senior now in my field, but still really enjoy working in the dead of night when there's no fucker around to bother me!