Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coming up for air

For the last couple of months I have been stuck working on this project (i won't go into many details other than it's to do with anti-money laundering) at a medium size financial institution here in Vancouver. It's been dreadful and taken up 15 hours of my life pretty much every day. I've had enough and when this is done I'm looking to retrain and do something new.

Any ideas?

Anyone else done this?

I'm 31 now so do you think I've left it too late or is this the right time?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I'm asking myself the same question, though unfortunately for me I've a few more miles on the clock than you. As someone who hasn't managed a career change I'd say go for it - whatever it is you choose. Otherwise in a few years time you'll be like me and asking if 40 odd is too late.
  • Options
    Get into actual money laundering. You know the business inside out, you may as well take advantage and turn that experience into a real money spinner. You could move to Bermuda too, it's all the rage amongst us Addicks!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I should say, I'm exactly your age and I spent many years in university training to be an academic, a sociologist. I'm now a computer technician (Apple Mac), consultant and trainer. I'm helping to get a Mac shop that my cousin owns here off the ground, and it's going quite well. Just fell into it really. But all the experience I built up as a critical thunker has really given me a unique perspective and is benefiting me now. It's difficult to change direction sometimes, but often necessary.
  • Options
    You never too old Vancouver. I think the hardest thing would be adjusting to a lower income, assuming you have to retrain. But on the basis you might have 30 working years left, follow your dreams.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Took a life changing decision at 40 bit the bullet jumped out of management got rid of car exec style perks etc. and after 5 mins post ego bashing recovery have never looked back. Far happier being my own boss rather then being tied to a 'blue chip' company never thought I would realise my dream.... go for it!