Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transfers

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Looks like its dosh in before dosh out.

Now its June im geting a tad worried that we havnt searched the glob for a midfield general. If we cant find one, or afford him, we wont go up. All very well going on about left winger/midfield player ,but unless we get some one who can get stuck in and control the midfield we will struggle again.

Not to worried about the defence or forward line its midfield that looks week. John Jo cant do it all in his first full season (we shouldnt even think he could)--Thomas/Ambrose plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz , Holland did well last year but cant go on much longer and cant tackle.

Who is out there that we might be albe to get ?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2008
    I think its a bit early to be getting worried. Despite all the rumours and the opinions of people on here about who we should and shouldnt get I'm sure pardew knows who he wants but you may well be right about money in first. Everyone is away and I dont see anything happening at all in June.
  • Options
    Agree it is to early to be worried and the sun is out today :-)
    As for old Matt Holland, I believe the fact that he was in central midfield is a major part of why we got the results we did.
  • Options
    I'm not saying I want this but if the worst comes to the absolute worst Faye can do the job at championship level.

I don't know what he earns but I read an article about him in the programme where he said clubs like Charlton buy African players because the wages are relatively low.

Is there another African Nations Cup or anything next season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I'm not saying I want this but if the worst comes to the absolute worst Faye can do the job at championship level.

I don't know what he earns but I read an article about him in the programme where he said clubs like Charlton buy African players because the wages are relatively low.

Is there another African Nations Cup or anything next season?

No no no no noooooooo. Faye is terrible!! He'll also be on decent money as he'd been at Pompey and Newcastle before us, he didn't come straight from Africa.
    No ANC next year though, the last one was in January just gone.
  • Options
    Faye at CH and move Magic to the 'holding' role......just a thought !

Can't see Faye returning to us tbh, although I do share GH's worries about finding someone....it's the one area we MUST strengthen
  • Options
    The next African Cup of Nations will be hosted by Angola in 2010.
  • Options
    Every year someone says they're worried about the lack of transfer activity - in June. But you're right that central midfield is our unsolved problem - has been since spotty left. Semedo and Shelvey looks like our best pairing at the mo but we'll need to buy some experience.

Anyone seen enough of Josh Wright to form an opinion?
  • Options
    Basey for the central midfield enforcer. Not seen him play that position but he has the attributes. Hopefully he'll get a go in pre season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite] Semedo and Shelvey looks like our best pairing at the mo but we'll need to buy some experience.

Shelvey will have a part to play but will by no means be a regular at the age of 16. It's too much to ask of a youngster.
    As for experience, we still have matt holland although i know we need to strengthen.
  • Options
    "Basey for the central midfield enforcer. Not seen him play that position but he has the attributes. Hopefully he'll get a go in pre season "

I'm not sure he has the mobility to do a job in midfield, just as Holland is too slow to be effective (hence he stands in space 'cos he's too slow to close down & tackle) but Gareth Barry and Reidie have shown how a leftie in the middle offers different angles. We missed atrick when we had Steven Hughes on a free/trial but only played him wide, he went on to be a top player in the middle for Coventry. Perhaps Sir Chris has missed a trick in hissunset years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Basey for the central midfield enforcer. Not seen him play that position but he has the attributes. Hopefully he'll get a go in pre season.

Dare I say it, Basey reminds me of Pitcher
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite. We missed atrick when we had Steven Hughes on a free/trial but only played him wide, he went on to be a top player in the middle for Coventry. Perhaps Sir Chris has missed a trick in hissunset years.

We had him for about 9 months, albeit not all of that contracted and he failed to break into the 1st team except for a couple of games. Coventry and top player just does not go together.
  • Options
    But to put in context ........ we were an established lol Premier club when Stephen Hughes was here.

Big difference to breaking into the 1st team in the Prem and establishing yourself with a Champs side.