Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Managerial Cup 1st rnd: Tony Adams v Alan Shearer

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Battle of the England Captains.

Two players who captained their country, and played with a winning mentality. Both have an aura about them, and command respect from others. Having a brief spell as Wycombe manager, and now Uncle Harry’s No2, Adams edges the experience, but with his past demons mean he is better suited to the less pressurised environment as a No2 ?

Would Shearer thrive more with his better suited personality with an experienced No2 with him for guidance ?

REMEMBER: You are voting on who out of the two on offer you would prefer to be Charlton manager.

Comments

• Options
    Shearer, I reckon he'll turn out to be a top manager....he'd also attract better players I feel.
  • Options
    Shearer...at least our strikers would be learning from the best.
  • Options
    Got to be Elbows Al for the job.
  • Options
    I voted for Adams.

The Wycombe thing proved he wasn't ready and made him realise its tougher than it appears. Has gone away and served an apprenticeship under one of the very best. If he has an eye for picking out a player, he could go on to be one of the very best in my book.

Shearer is still too much of an unknown for my liking.
  • Options
    Would have to be shearer for me, think he would attract the better flair players, which is what I would rather watch no matter what division we are in.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    tony adams for me, once picked up my mobile, i hadn't realised i dropped, in a bar and handed it back to me politely , so for sheer honesty he gets my vote , shearer probably would've nicked it cos he's a northerner;-)
  • Options
    Adams by a country mile at this stage
  • Options
    Adams for me. Seen him in real life a couple of times, and being on the telly does an arf distort his face! not bad looking but having said that, i'd rather have next doors pet cat managing us rather than shearer. absolutely hate him. he's a coward and has a big head, loves being a hero. quit playing for england when he had at least 2 years left in him as he didn't want to fade and be remembered for being rubbish. didn't take the newcastle job as he knew he then wouldn't be remembered by the toon fans for being a hero as he knew they were in the crap. I know keegan has lost the plot, but it was brave taking it on. hate him.
  • Options
    I'm with you on this one all the way, Suzi!
  • Options
    Suzi, don't forget the "Elbowing John Fortune in the throat, but getting the sending off overturned the following Monday" incident. The fact he was doing the FA Vase or FA Trophy draw (I forget which) for them the very same day had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of course.

But it's not just personal dislike for the man that made me vote for Adams instead. At least Adams has some experience. For all we know, Shearer could be another John Barnes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Adams for many reasons but mainly because i think he'll be a top boss one day.
  • Options
    Adams. I think 'arry will have taught him a lot.

Shearer has too big an ego to learn from an experienced manager which is partly why the barcodes have had the problems they have.

Also didn't like the way he whinged when that Grimsby player gave him a dose of his own elbow medicine!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm with you on this one all the way, Suzi!
    I'm finding it quite funny that all the women that have responded to this one so far seem to loathe Alan Shearer. So much for the stereotype of just being interested in players for their looks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm with you on this one all the way, Suzi!
    I'm finding it quite funny that all the women that have responded to this one so far seem to loathe Alan Shearer. So much for the stereotype of just being interested in players for their looks.

Ali, some of my favourite players over the years have included Martin Robinson, Stevie Gritt and Dennis Remmedahl - not sure any of them would win a beauty contest! On the other hand, there's always the lovely Paul Mortimer ;-)
  • Options
    I have an unhealthy obsession with Steven Gerrard as well - I KNOW!!!

I think its hilarious when i get accused of supporting charlton for the lookers - Who!?!?!?!??!
  • Options
    anyway, getting back on the shearer thing. i also hate him as a pundit on the telly when he wears that light grey teflon suit and sits with his hands in the way he does. MY GOD i'm so angry just thinking about him. going out for some fresh air.
  • Options
    Hope Luke Varney's not reading this, Suzi!
  • Options
    I've come to the conclusion that he's too young for me!
  • Options
    Adams for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I've come to the conclusion that he's too young for me!

I decided that a long time ago! I remember being horrified when Robert Lee made his debut -as he was the first Charlton player younger than me...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tony Adams, Shearer has not cut his teeth yet.

And Adams would surely drill the defence well. A better skipper than Shearer too I thought
  • Options
    a couple of dodgy websites suggesting Tony Adams might want to manage a championship side with us and Ipswich mentioned.
  • Options
    was this competition ever decided btw... i think i was away!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]was this competition ever decided btw... i think i was away!

Don't believe it ever was decided - I'm guessing that AFKA got told in no uncertain terms to park it by someone inside the club...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]was this competition ever decided btw... i think i was away!

Don't believe it ever was decided - I'm guessing that AFKA got told in no uncertain terms to park it by someone inside the club...

Yeah, that's right, what else could it be. They're out to get us you know.

Or maybe he just got bored/ran out of time.
  • Options
    There you go... Consider yourself told Weegie!!
  • Options
    It was a good idea, but i'd rushed it out rather than have it all planned properly first, and i got the feeling that by the end of the first round, it was simply taking too long to get through, and general interest had faded.

Some you win, some you lose. All part of the learning curve !
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]It was a good idea, but i'd rushed it out rather than have it all planned properly first, and i got the feeling that by the end of the first round, it was simply taking too long to get through, and general interest had faded.

Some you win, some you lose. All part of the learning curve !

You say that but we "know" that Steve Waggott's PA threatened to send Ketman's dad round to "do you some damage" if you didn't pull it straight away. : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

Yeah, that's right, what else could it be. They're out to get us you know.

Or maybe he just got bored/ran out of time.

I'm not sure whish is more tiresome:
    - trying to remember to put ;-) after every tongue in cheek post
    or
    - the keyboard warrior response of Our 'Enry to every mildly non PC comment
  • Options
    What has political correctness got to do with this? just stick in "PC" whenever someone pulls you up for saying something silly and that makes their point invalid. Very good dodge that.

Sorry if you don't like being pulled up when you get something so so wrong but you can solve that easy enough. Just put the ; - ) in first time around.

Or you could just have said "sorry, it was only a joke, forget the smiley" rather than going on the attack about PC and keyboard warrior (on the irony of that statement coming from you)