Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

takeover

in the mail today philip anschutz the owner of of the o2 arena decided not t bid for his ( local )club charlton after remarks by arsenal chairman peter hill wood about the yanks

Comments

• Options
    If he wanted to bid for a club then what someone said about Americans would not stop him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aylesfordaddick[/cite]in the mail today philip anschutz the owner of of the o2 arena decided not t bid for his ( local )club charlton after remarks by arsenal chairman peter hill wood about the yanks

Was that all it said? I know it's the Mail but even they would put a story in some sort of context.
  • Options
    that means the glaziers are selling up then
  • Options
    If this guy wants to buy a club I really doubt some chairman saying a few words is going to put him off.
  • Options
    From the mail

Arsenal chairman's anti-American jibe could cost Addicks takeover deal

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood's disparaging remarks about Americans - 'We don't like their kind over here' - following Stan Kroenke buying into the club may have cost Championship side Charlton a major takeover deal.

American rich list billionaire Philip Anschutz, owner of the mighty Anschutz Entertainment Group whose investment portfolio includes the Los Angeles Lakers, the LA Galaxy, David Beckham's football academy and the O2 Arena in Greenwich, was considering buying his 'local' club, not least for the combined branding opportunities in south London.

But concern about a possible backlash against foreign owners - and Americans in particular - is understood to have influenced Anschutz to put his bid, which not all of the 20 plus board of directors were aware about at the time, on the backburner.
  • Options
    I am not normally keen on the idea of a take-over but this sounds like a very promising interest in the club - there could be some good synergy between us and the world's most 'popular' entertainment venue. This would be from someone/company with a big vested local interest; could be a real coup for us

If he does feel anti-American sentiments might be a reason to put this on the back burner, I am sure the club will try to have a chat with him and persuade him otherwise.
  • Options
    AEG will buy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]AEG will buy
    You can certainly see how a Premiership football club would be a wonderful expansion for AEG to the O2 entertainment venue - and the investment in the local area gives us more long term safeguards than the likes of Man City and Chelsea have whose ownere could just decide to do a runner and call in their loans.
  • Options
    I think they'll buy us in this division on the cheap, and build us up.
  • Options
    Indeed, which sensibly would mean buying us very soon ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The monstrosity of a new home strip will kill the deal.
  • Options
    perhaps he thinks his 'local' club for the 02 is woolwich arsenal and tried to buy them...
  • Options
    I can hear it now....Its 5 minutes to kick off at the O2 Valley!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]AEG will buy

I love it when Mystic Rothko let's us into the future!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I can hear it now....Its 5 minutes to kick off at the O2 Valley![/quote]

more like the 0-2 valley given our home form in the past couple of seasons...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I can hear it now....Its 5 minutes to kick off at the O2 Valley!
    more like the 0-2 valley given our home form in the past couple of seasons...
    lol
  • Options
    I cant see any truth in this story.
    Even if it was true I cant see what difference the Arsenal chairmans thoughts would make.
    I actually dont mind their type, loaded and sucessful.
    Anything to see decent football again.
  • Options
    This is the Daily Mail showing its quality yet again. Presumably it was a slow news day. This is a laughable story which is so unproveably made up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]This is the Daily Mail showing its quality yet again.
    lol

things is when it comes to Charlton the Daily Mail have an inside track - it is not unusual for them to get inside information, so I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.
  • Options
    It seems strange that this virulent anti-Americanism hasn't stopped AEG buying and developing the O2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, you cynic you
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Henry, you cynic you

You noticed ; - )
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rothko seems to know a lot about things in the club. I do hope that you are so right Rothko it would be a breath of fresh air throughout our club.

Wasnt Tom Cruise and David Beckham also after an English club wow imagine a Charlton Athletic owned by them and AEG. Then we could buy super kevin lisbie back.
  • Options
    No disrespect to our current and fantastic board but a takeover of this magnitude is the only way a club like Charlton can move on to the next level and have any hope of staying and competing long term. IMHO I hope its true.
  • Options
    i hope its true,feel bad for saying it but hope for a takeover.
  • Options
    Truth is Charlton are a second tier club who managed to punch well above its weight for basically a ten year period. Our board and a great manager were the reason. We have one dodgy year and we slip right back into the pack. Why ? because we didn`t have the resourses to dig ourselves out of a hole. How many prem quality players have we now just 13 months after relegation ? I can`t argue for many. Doubt that there is any truth in the rumour anyway but I hope so. Promotion this season still looks a long shot to me.
  • Options
    i wouldnt be keen on losing muzza and co but i would still love charlton but believe me i wouldnt be able to afford to go once they sunkk their teeth in you can bet the prices would rocket.

would it be good for the club posssibly i wouldnt know but would watch keenly
  • Options
    Good comments nla, I would still watch Charlton if we get relegated again ! Its just a fans fantasy I guess that if it were true we could be a big club with top players and win stuff.......Is it that important ? Maybe not but still a fantasy.
  • Options
    not wrong bud we can all dream we were close once why not again

but sucess has its price and that would be fans real fans IMO
  • Options
    Yeah. I hear that QPR have hoiked their prices up already. Would I pay loads more ? Maybe. Can`t ever see me not going to be honest. Anyway a price increse at the Valley would certainly get the moaners on here on the warpath. Thing is. I guess you can`t have your cake and eat it...as they say