Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

midfield enforcer

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Does any1 expect us to sign one??

We all winge about it in every transfer window for almost 4 yrs, I suspect come sept we will still be begruding not signing one

Comments

• Options
    yes, who I don't know
  • Options
    yes we will, and then pards will sell him next summer
  • Options
    Many prospective targets are still contracted at their current clubs until 30 June.
    And in any case, most managers will hold their cards close to their chest ..... they won't want to be outbid by others.

Give it another 3 weeks and the transfer market will flare into life.......
  • Options
    How many teams can you name who really play with a 'midfield enforcer' anymore ?

Hull had Ashbee, who else ?
  • Options
    Wolves Skipper can't think of his name he was excellent at the Valley & scored their winner I believe.
  • Options
    Leicester had Kish :-)
  • Options
    karl henry ketman

and they have olofinjana too
  • Options
    Karl Henry had a brilliant game that day.

Box to box midfielders, whatever happened to them? I remember when, to play in centre mid you had to be among the fittest as you had to cover the most ground. It's all about breaking up play and doing the simple things well.

Brian Howard does it for Barnsley, Henry does it for Wolves, Andrews for MK dons, Savage for whoever is emplying him the list goes on.

We need a player of that ilk
  • Options
    What about Parker at West Ham.....?

Good little player, full England appearances, can run all day, box to box, solid tackle, good 1st touch, decent shot.
    It's all we need lol
  • Options
    Stephen Hughes released by Coventry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will be a sign of the clubs ambition or lack of. We need that type of player and we will have to spend to get a decent one. I would love to see Bowyer come back but he will take a bit of tempting
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Erik_Bloodaxe[/cite]It will be a sign of the clubs ambition or lack of. We need that type of player and we will have to spend to get a decent one. I would love to see Bowyer come back but he will take a bit of tempting

And a lot of cash...

I'm sure Pardew wants to sign such a player, but given our economic constraints I think we'll have to wait for the right player to be transfer listed elsewhere, or pick up a half-decent young player from somewhere.

In the meantime there's JonJo Shelvey...
  • Options
    Money wise Bowyer would be out of our league.
  • Options
    Even Hayden Mullins, if Pards is still mullin' over signing him ......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Even Hayden Mullins, if Pards is still mullin' over signing him ......

Mullins would be good but doubt we could afford him. Gunnerson at Reading but with them coming down who knows they may want to keep him. Could play centre half as well.

Song on loan but just got a new, presumably more expensive, contract so may not be able to afford even if they were willing to let him come.

Joey Barton anyone?
  • Options
    Henry did we ever try to sign Song either on loan or permanently? Never heard anything from the club but he always seemed the obvious choice to build a team around when we went down. Anyway if we don't sign anyone it could be a blessing in disguise if we're forced to move Basey inside.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Henry did we ever try to sign Song either on loan or permanently? Never heard anything from the club but he always seemed the obvious choice to build a team around when we went down. Anyway if we don't sign anyone it could be a blessing in disguise if we're forced to move Basey inside.

Pretty sure we would have taken him had he been available but Song was at the AFrican Cup of Nations and Arsenal then had an injury crises which meant in was in and around the first team meaning they wouldn't have let him out on loan in any case.

Good player who is getting better.
  • Options
    Oh well. Completely out of our league now.
  • Options
    Saw song play for the gunners v reading end of last season played at centre back despite being short he was emense i think we can finally draw a line under Song ever playing for us ever again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Saw song play for the gunners v reading end of last season played at centre back despite being short he was emense i think we can finally draw a line under Song ever playing for us ever again.

Just signed a new long term contract