Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Irelands vote

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Razil we cant get out now, we were conned in going in. It dosnt matter really how Ireland votes they will find a way round it. The same if we had been allowed the chance to vote as well.

Big business wants a global market were labour is cheap and there few controls on movement of the labour market and border tariffs on goods. They have it and karl Marx (spits in corner) was correct.

I think they will take Irelands No vote (if it is no) and then add it into the over all total of those who have had the vote before and Irelands one million willbe swallowed up and disappear and we will be conned again.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I actually agree with you Goonerhater to a certain extent, any major change to the constitution should be put to the vote, the problem is little englanders as you call them see it as an opportunity to Vote No to Europe and would do so whatever they were being asked, even Thatcher realised this which is why she didn't have one for Maastricht. And we'd already had a referendum in the 70s I think on that issue.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    don't deny that at all. the ira have been around for some time now.they are mentioned in the middle of this
    wiki.

the people are scum.

sorry,just read your bit again,uboats given shelter? lighting up fields night after nights to direct german bombers?
    i am not sure you realise how important to the people ireland that germany were defeated.
  • Options
    Razil there is no doubt that is true. What i find strange is that these people who may vote no would be called "Euro sceptics or Little Englanders" to oppose pan Europieanism brings an insult yet wanting it your "forward thinking and positive".

We only get to vote once every five years, we get a local coucil election come along or a By Election. We have hardly ripped the bottom out of the "referendomm barrel" have we ? We are trusted to vote in alot of babboons once in a blue moon who then tell us we cant vote on the EU constition or the death penalty (dont agree we have the right to kill).
  • Options
    Why do some people keep diverting decent threads towards the same bullshit time and time again. I spent three years doing my history degree and if i learned anything it's that people have different ideas of how and why things happened in the past and that although people should remember and learn from events, if you don't move on you'll get absolutely nowhere.
  • Options
    OK well in a round about way we have answered your main thread question.

I think there need to be real advantages disadvantages spelled out, problem is these thing are quite gray and complicated. Also the fact that there is a cross party consensus on membership, and indeed the death penalty must say something (much as I hate to put my trust in politicians)

There is also nothing to stop governments having referendem after referendum till they get the right result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]don't deny that at all. the ira have been around for some time now.they are mentioned in the middle of this
    wiki.

the people are scum.

sorry,just read your bit again,uboats given shelter? lighting up fields night after nights to direct german bombers?
    i am not sure you realise how important to the people ireland that germany were defeated.

Not saying it wasn't important to them, just saying it was not completely neutral and there were defectors amongst the population who helped create the refugees and devastation in Belfast for their own political ends.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Why do some people keep diverting decent threads towards the same bullshit time and time again. I spent three years doing my history degree and if i learned anything it's that people have different ideas of how and why things happened in the past and that although people should remember and learn from events, if you don't move on you'll get absolutely nowhere.

Voice of reason.

Well said
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So people should remember which is what people were doing on here. People have differant ideas, thats what people were expressing. You cant make people learn.

well said everyone all the voices of reason or not.

and the very first point regardless of how the people of Ireland voted is you shouldnt be abused and tagged if ur anti or for.
  • Options
    so what you are saying is we shouldn't be prejudice? I'm all for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prejudice comes in many forms and labels razil. Calling people "little Englanders" is used as a term of abuse ( idont see it as such). The first point being these same people would never use an abusive term against another group or section of the population, but its ok against the English.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Prejudice comes in many forms and labels razil. Calling people "little Englanders" is used as a term of abuse ( idont see it as such). The first point being these same people would never use an abusive term against another group or section of the population, but its ok against the English.

apart from the tight-fisted jocks, plastic paddies, greasy spicks and garlic-munching frogs of course..... :-)
  • Options
    I think its just as important to try not to fall into the chip on shoulder category too, mind you they do all hate us these Europeans.. ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Prejudice comes in many forms and labels razil. Calling people "little Englanders" is used as a term of abuse ( idont see it as such). The first point being these same people would never use an abusive term against another group or section of the population, but its ok against the English.

apart from the tight-fisted jocks, plastic paddies, greasy spicks and garlic-munching frogs of course..... :-)

Admin....ban this man.........................................oh..........
  • Options

But it's not a term of abuse for all English people. It's is referring to a particular group of people from England who hold certain views. It's not knocking the English, GH. You are trying desperately to find an slur that isn't there.

There are similar terms in other countries. In Italy there is a term for people who only think of their own city/region and not the whole country (which I can't now remember). Some see it as a insult and some as a compliment. It isn't an inuslt for all Italians.

The concept of Pan-europeanism is echoed in Pan-Africanism and even Pan-latin Americanish with other counter "local"
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think perhaps what GH is complaining about is that an Irish no vote wouldn't be slammed/criticised as little irelanders whereas a hypothetical UK one would were it to be in the negative hypothetically speaking. There is an obvious reason for this though and that is that we have a reputation already for euroscepticism, also it would possibly be true where it not hypothetical. i.e. we have undermined our reputation for making a sound and reasoned reponse in regards to Europe.

Geddit? erm...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

But it's not a term of abuse for all English people. It's is referring to a particular group of people from England who hold certain views. It's not knocking the English, GH. You are trying desperately to find an slur that isn't there.

There are similar terms in other countries. In Italy there is a term for people who only think of their own city/region and not the whole country (which I can't now remember). Some see it as a insult and some as a compliment. It isn't an inuslt for all Italians.

The concept of Pan-europeanism is echoed in Pan-Africanism and even Pan-latin Americanish with other counter "local"

When i visited La Coruna, Spain last year i really saw how true that is as half the people were going on about Galicia and the others were saying Espana.
  • Options
    The Little Irelanders have voted no. Official
  • Options
    Does the man from del monte get a say ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Does the man from del monte get a say ?

Don't know but as a little Englander yourself AFKA what do you think?

I'm annoyed that Tall Englanders aren't given a voice. Who talks for us, the quite visable majority? Who will raise the minimum height of ironing boards and making the carrying of umbrellas at our eye level illegal. When will insulting remarks about "what's the weather like up there?" and "is the rest of you in proportion to your height wink wink" be banned?

Say it loud, I'm tall and proud.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    im just fecking confused sometimes i am glad i am thick as the majority of everything just written went so far over my head you wouldnt believe

in simple terms who is happy it looks to be voted as no and who would have been happier with a yes vote
  • Options
    Where is BFR?
  • Options
    It is actually only now official, contrary to earlier posts.

53.4 % NO

46.6 % YES.
  • Options
    good old paddy's bravo folks thats what i say
  • Options
    Mark Kinsella, Dean Kiely, Ray Treacy, Matt Holland, Eamon Rogers, Darren Randolph your boys gave the Brussels bureaucrats one hell of a beating.....

I'm talking Charlton not politics Sir:-)
  • Options
    I doubt very much if Holland and Kiely had a vote, with them not actually being Irish that is.....
  • Options
    Given that Ireland is the smaller landmass in the British Isles, it should be known as Little Britain and it's inhabitants therefore Little Brittish, Little Brittons, or when voting against a wider Europe, Little Brittishers.
  • Options
    why was it that only the irish was given the the vote perhaps the rest of the european leaders are so corrupt that they dont trust the european people to to keep the gravy train going the eu is a dictatorship hitler lost the war but his dream lives on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aylesfordaddick[/cite]why was it that only the irish was given the the vote perhaps the rest of the european leaders are so corrupt that they dont trust the european people to to keep the gravy train going the eu is a dictatorship hitler lost the war but his dream lives on

It's called representative democracy. Every four or five years you get to choose who will make your decisions for you, and that's as good as it gets. It's not just a European thing though, it's the same system with Parliament and it's the same with local councils (though the frequency of the voting tends to be quicker). Not very good, is it?
  • Options
    most of the people in charge of europe were not voted in by the people of europe take 1 neil kinnock even the people of britain didnt vote for his labour party then he gets a nice earner being a non elected commishenrer what say did we have in that that isnt democracy in any form at all