Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"They gave their all"

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
I been thinking about this since the rumours about Paddy going surfaced. Part of me liked Paddy for "giving his all" the same goes for Big Chris, I liked watching his commitment last season he really looked like he cared. Ultimately however they aren't good enough to get us out of this division. I think back...Rufus "gave his all" as did Kinsella and Parker and many many more. These players however had a bit of quality about them, you could rely on them whereas I don't feel that about Paddy or Iwelumo.
This is not meant as a negative post its meant as a positive one. I'd like to see the quality players step up this season so we can be talking about a bit more of that side of the game rather than defending players who will clearly try but not actually be good enough to get us promoted.

Comments

• Options
    If Steve Brown was playing now, he would of fitted into this category, and probably would never of gone on to legend status. Ditto for Robbo
  • Options
    Completely agree with you RESE7.

Despite giving their all, Paddy gave away too many soft goals.

And Big Chris missed too many of the chances he should have easily put away.

Really appreciated their dedication and commitment - but bottom line, they don't really have the quality needed to win promotion back to the Prem.
  • Options
    i agree with your points by the way RA
  • Options
    Nice post RA, I wish one or two others would use the same kind of language, particularly where Paddy is concerned.
    It's NOT neccessary to tear a honest hard working bloke to pieces to make a point, he tried, improved and simply did his best.
    Wasn't a disaster just simply not the greatest we've had.
    Would wish him well but he's gone to Palarse, which makes that slightly awkward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Would wish him well but he's gone to Palarse, which makes that slightly awkward.

Agreed. Polite round of applause me thinks, which will be a hell of a lot different to what those Bitters will be giving Hudson....
  • Options
    Nicely put, Sound.

Paddy played to the best of his ability and gave everything to the cause.
    He has to be commended and appreciated for that.

It wasn't Paddy's fault he wasn't quite good enough - but he's a great pro and I also wish him all the best for the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Nice post RA, I wish one or two others would use the same kind of language, particularly where Paddy is concerned.
    It's NOT neccessary to tear a honest hard working bloke to pieces to make a point, he tried, improved and simply did his best.
    Wasn't a disaster just simply not the greatest we've had.
    Would wish him well but he's gone to Palarse, which makes that slightly awkward.

I think he's been pretty hard done by as have a number of Pards signings. He was good enough for Pards to part with 650k last summer and if he were than bad would Warnock have spent 500k on him. Others like Varney,McLeod,Dickson,Moo2 have similarly suffered from Pards shortcomings not to forget Racon,Youga .....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Completely agree with you RESE7.

Despite giving their all, Paddy gave away too many soft goals.

And Big Chris missed too many of the chances he should have easily put away.

Really appreciated their dedication and commitment - but bottom line, they don't really have the quality needed to win promotion back to the Prem.

Yet people seem very happy that Matt Holand was given a new contract, how does that work?
  • Options
    BDL, all successful clubs need a Matt Holland type around the place, they offer something that's somewhat intangible, it's to do with a happy ship and stability around the place.
    It's not always the best 11 out on the park that wins at the end of the day but the sum total of the parts that put them out there and in that the Matty Hollands of this world are invaluable 'behind' the scenes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]BDL, all successful clubs need a Matt Holland type around the place, they offer something that's somewhat intangible, it's to do with a happy ship and stability around the place.
    It's not always the best 11 out on the park that wins at the end of the day but the sum total of the parts that put them out there and in that the Matty Hollands of this world are invaluable 'behind' the scenes.

Quite frankly I'd rather not know what Matt Holland does "behind the scenes" to persuade Pardew to keep him in the side!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    I think that's a bit of a loose point. Nobody here has any idea what Holland does "behind the scenes". And if indeed, which is doubtful, that has any influence to the team on the pitch. Also, I think if that was as important as you suggest it is, we would've signed Mr. Motivator. :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Would wish him well but he's gone to Palarse, which makes that slightly awkward.

I wish him well, in fact I hope he's Palace's player of the season next year. Admittedly, that's partly because I hope the rest of their squad have absolute shockers every week, but given the choice between a talented waster like Marcus Bent or less skillful trier like Paddy MacCarthy, I'd take MacCarthy every time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    Yet people seem very happy that Matt Holand was given a new contract, how does that work?

Club captain, player of the season, consumate professional. Why wouldn't people be happy?
  • Options
    Chunes, Richard Murray evidently said 'exactly' the same thing re Matt Hollands importance around the place on Thursday evening during a bloggers meeting at The Valley.
    I think Henry can confirm that?
  • Options
    Paddy will get a clap from me. As others have said he did his best and that is all anybody can ask.
  • Options
    I'll give Paddy the clap. I always liked him depsite his misgivings, deserves a decent reception in my opinion

So do all of our former grafters
  • Options
    Paddy played sometimes like he had the clap