Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you like football on New Years Day....

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
then have a year off, because there isn't one in the fixture list to be published on Monday.

Comments

• Options
    have all the players demanded a day off just to p**s off the fans
  • Options
    probably for the best.

getting home at 8am, sleep, wake up feeling like shit only to see Lisbie put two past you.
  • Options
    In 2 minds on this
    1. Great can party longer and get even more drunk
    2. Helped me control the amount of booze comsumed meaning no headache
  • Options
    It's the thin end of the wedge I tell ye... winter break within three seasons.

After all, why should well paid entertainers bother to entertain us when we actually want entertaining? Let them do it at their convenience, and be grateful that they do it at all for the shed loads of money they get, most of the poor little darlings would much rather be earning 20 grand a year delivering letters, but are forced to work four hours a day four days a week in all weathers...

Wankers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]It's the thin end of the wedge I tell ye... winter break within three seasons.

for players to 'rest' ?

no.

more likely for clubs to go on tour around the world to fulfill sponsors obligations or attract new sponsors and enhance their worldwide profile.
  • Options
    Spot on PBS, that's what the countries who have a winter break seem to do, and it still would not stop the big clubs moaning that our season is too hard.
  • Options
    maybe something to do with the calender perhaps.......?

Game on boxing day (26th) is a Friday, therefore I assume there is not a game the next day
    (Sat 27th) and so is there one a few days later, say mon 29th or tues 30th in the evening? - if so, makes sense not to have one on the 1st (thursday) with one bound to be on the Sat 3rd (FA Cup ?)

unless i have it all wrong.......wait & see monday.
  • Options
    sounds like you've got it in one golfy
  • Options
    Fair enough if there is a game on the 30th.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]maybe something to do with the calender perhaps.......?

Game on boxing day (26th) is a Friday, therefore I assume there is not a game the next day
    (Sat 27th) and so is there one a few days later, say mon 29th or tues 30th in the evening? - if so, makes sense not to have one on the 1st (thursday) with one bound to be on the Sat 3rd (FA Cup ?)

you have it exactly right Golfy,nothing sinister about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I right in thinking that several seasons back an agreement was made that there'd be no league football in England on a Thursday?

I think this was a consequence of Sky moving fixtures around and effectively elongating the football weekend by broadcasting matches from Friday through to Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday are the traditional nights for midweek games and therefore an agreement was made not to play games on a Thursday.
  • Options
    Although it did'nt stop Euefa cup matches being played on a Thursday and facking up the Saturday league fixtures, playing them on Sunday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Although it did'nt stop Euefa cup matches being played on a Thursday and facking up the Saturday league fixtures, playing them on Sunday.

Yep, but that's because UEFA wanted to play the UEFA Cupa matches on a different night to the CL games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]maybe something to do with the calender perhaps.......?

you have it exactly right Golfy,nothing sinister about it.

Oh yes there is. Everything is a conspiracy. All change is bad. FACT
  • Options
    And it didn't stop Chelsea and Everton from playing on a Thursday to suit Sky last season, if memory serves me?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]And it didn't stop Chelsea and Everton from playing on a Thursday to suit Sky last season, if memory serves me?

Maybe, I just remember that rule being brought in, whether it still applies or not I don't know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving

Oh yes there is. Everything is a conspiracy. All change is bad. FACT

All life is change, Henry. Nothing stands still, apart from Andy Gray with his hands on his hips :o)
  • Options
    Golfie was 100% on the reason why by the way, but its always good to see a 'players are overpaid w***ers rant though !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]then have a year off, because there isn't one in the fixture list to be published on Monday.

BTW, the Titanic's sunk. Huh !! Get your mates to sink your thread next time. I dunno what is the world coming too.
  • Options
    You're clearly not "clique" Large.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Golfie was 100% on the reason why by the way, but its always good to see a 'players are overpaid w***ers rant though !

Cheers AFKA.

I actually see no reason why they can't play on the 26th/27th, the 30th and the 1st and 3rd, if everyone has to play, then theres no advantage, and the rest of us (well not me, for obvious reasons) can have a feast of footy while we enjoy the Christmas break.

Most people work 40 hours plus a week, and we are asking them to work for six hours over nine days...
  • Options
    Only match I missed last year due to the mother of all hangovers so not too bothered.