Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
rejected new offer from Palace and Warnock expects him to leave. With a year left to run but under 24 how much would he cost ? 2.5m ? 3m perhaps ? The best in this division and definately worth going for. However, seeing as Laffety is going for 4m perhaps it'll be more.

Comments

• Options
    He'll be off to QPR.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    never rated Lafferty that much, don't know what the Gers are doing given their lack of funds

as for Watson, i'm inclined to agree with BRE but would want him... get rid of Thomas, Bent, Faye, Fortune and we could possibly raise a few quid - somehow doubt simes would want to play ball though!
  • Options
    Out of our price range Large, i reckon package wise.

Will also attract a lower prem club i reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Out of our price range Large, i reckon package wise.

Will also attract a lower prem club i reckon.

bit worried though that if Laffety is worth 4m then how much are the Watson's and Howard's of this world gonna cost because that is the sort of quality we need.
  • Options
    We should start a rumour off.........(devil smiley)
  • Options
    I'm watching you Dan......(winking smiley)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]never rated Lafferty that much, don't know what the Gers are doing given their lack of funds

as for Watson, i'm inclined to agree with BRE but would want him... get rid of Thomas, Bent, Faye, Fortune and we could possibly raise a few quid - somehow doubt simes would want to play ball though!

I read wee chesney (Strachan) was after Lafferty
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]I'm watching you Dan......(winking smiley)

You don't count Budgie. You're an honorary Anorak ;)
  • Options
    Ben Watson is actually the daughter of Fred Watson who runs a fruit and veg stall in woolwich. Fred always wanted a son , so has brought up his daughter(Ben) as a son. It is a well known fact that Ben has to shower alone at Palarse.

Tango man knows the score but was reported as saying "it dont matter that Ben has no bollox he fits in well with the rest of our club and its fans !"
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Ben Watson is actually the daughter of Fred Watson who runs a fruit and veg stall in woolwich. Fred always wanted a son , so has brought up his daughter(Ben) as a son. It is a well known fact that Ben has to shower alone at Palarse.

Tango man knows the score but was reported as saying "it dont matter that Ben has no bollox he fits in well with the rest of our club and its fans !"[/quote]

Classic. He has a summer move to Hull City written all over it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see QPR and another 2 clubs are chasing him. Would love to sign him and a deal is bound to be done soon with Carle move completed.

Ben Watson
  • Options
    Hearing from someone that seems to be quite a trusted inside source on the BBS site that we're to sign him. Supposedly we had agreed a fee back in Jan but it was held off until this summer.
  • Options
    That would be brilliant news. But I expect him to go to QPR or a lower league Prem team.
  • Options
    If that's true I would make a big mess in my pants - he is deffo good enough to fill our gaps in the middle

Sadly I think he is a little bit too pricey!

We should get it tied up before they realise what a shocker they have signed in Paddy McCarthy
  • Options
    This is the last year of his contract and he recently rejected a new deal, Palace will sell rather than letting him leave on a Bosman in a year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If that's true I would make a big mess in my pants - he is deffo good enough to fill our gaps in the middle

Sadly I think he is a little bit too pricey!

We should get it tied up before they realise what a shocker they have signed in Paddy McCarthy

I doubt he'd cost that much (in terms of a transfer fee) - as he has a year left on his current contract the transfer won't be that high, the problem will be agreeing his wages/signing on fee.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If it ever happened I would be well chuffed. I thought he looked the business when I first saw him play against us, when their reserves beat our first team at the Valley in the League Cup the year we sent them down.
  • Options
    about time we started signing some of the best players in this league.

In the last 3 or 4 years I have rated Steve Sidwell and Phil Jagielka....both of these have proven themselves IMO

Ben Watson deffo fits into that category and I would be delighted
  • Options
    Would be pleased, but can't see it if i'm honest.

I know there was talk from the Palace side this may of been close to happening in January, but i'm not sure i can see it now to be honest, particularly if QPR are very keen.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Would be pleased, but can't see it if i'm honest.

I know there was talk from the Palace side this may of been close to happening in January, but i'm not sure i can see it now to be honest, particularly if QPR are very keen.[/quote]

1 thing works in our favour here!!!!

Would you want to work with Dowie!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Would be pleased, but can't see it if i'm honest.

I know there was talk from the Palace side this may of been close to happening in January, but i'm not sure i can see it now to be honest, particularly if QPR are very keen.

If a company managed by Dowie were offering you more money with a more realistic chance of promotion, wouldn't you go and work there?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Hearing from someone that seems to be quite a trusted inside source on the BBS site that we're to sign him. Supposedly we had agreed a fee back in Jan but it was held off until this summer.

pardon my ignorance but what is the BBS site ??
  • Options
    not sure what BBS stands for but:

http://www.cpfc.org/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Would be pleased, but can't see it if i'm honest.

If a company managed by Dowie were offering you more money with a more realistic chance of promotion, wouldn't you go and work there?

Maybe more money but i don't see the promotion bit as true because they've hardly set the world alight so far. This may change but i've not been wowed by them yet and neither have their fans.
  • Options
    The site was set up shortly after we relegated them.
    BBS stands for Bye Bye Survival!!
  • Options
    This would be a top, top signing. What's the BBS site Dan??
  • Options
    I can't see where it says that...can someone paste on here?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

If a company managed by Dowie were offering you more money with a more realistic chance of promotion, wouldn't you go and work there?[/quote]

The thing is - money is not an issue for these folks. They are likely to be "made" for the future already. I would like to think he would look at the two sides on an equal footing (money aside)

Admittedly QPR have as much potential as us - however Dowie as a manager would put me off
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    He must have played under Dowie when he was at Palace. So if he got on with him QPR will be his choice.
  • Options
    not sure what BBS stands for but:

Bulletin Board System.