Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2008 - Refereeing

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
I have enjoyed watching some decent referees during the tournament. I am not suggesting that all spanish, french german etcf referees are this good, but its been nice to have this level of competence,including our own Howard webb. Also isn't it great that referees are not chased all over the pitch and screamed at after every decision.

Comments

• Options
    yeah totally agree.
  • Options
    Mind you tonights referee did not seem to like the french ... but then again ... who does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I haven't really noticed the referees (except the Swiss fella with the silky ball skills last night) I guess that's about as good a compliment as you can get.
  • Options
    The reason why the refereeing is better at the EC than at the World Cup is because the referres/linemen all come from Europe and know the European game. At the WC they tend to be drawn from all over the world and invariably that means they aren't always used to the speed at which the top players play, meaning they make too many mistakes.
  • Options
    yeah overall has been pretty decent for once
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The reason why the refereeing is better at the EC than at the World Cup is because the referres/linemen all come from Europe and know the European game. At the WC they tend to be drawn from all over the world and invariably that means they aren't always used to the speed at which the top players play, meaning they make too many mistakes.

My comparison was with Premier League and Championship
  • Options
    My comparison was with Premier League and Championship

Sure but you aren't comparing like with like. The EC attracts the best referees from across Europe. The Prem/CC has only the best referees from England. Therefore I'd expect to see better refereeing at the EC and in the CL etc than in the domestic game.
  • Options
    Tournament Thus far has been good to watch with pretty high standard of refereeing.

However, huge own goal by organisers playing Music after goals, sounds absoloutely toilet as generally the atmostphere's have been good no need to spoil it with playing crap music after a goal, if they do it in the final it will be disgraceful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]My comparison was with Premier League and Championship

Sure but you aren't comparing like with like. The EC attracts the best referees from across Europe. The Prem/CC has only the best referees from England. Therefore I'd expect to see better refereeing at the EC and in the CL etc than in the domestic game.

Actualy I wasn't so much making a comparison but expressing my enjoyment of the refereeing and the fact that players were not chasing referees all around. Hopefully next season we'll see this clamped down on.