Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Managerial Cup 1st rnd: Billy Davies v Mark Kinsella

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Tough decision here between heart and head. As with many of the choices, its whether you prefer experience over potential.
Davies began his managerial career with Motherwell 10yrs ago, leading them to the brink of European football. He was sacked in 2001 after a poor start, and took up the reigns with Preston, initially as Craig Brown's assistant. There he led them to the play-offs in two consecutive seasons. After a move to Charlton fell through, he choose Derby County instead, but a poor start to the season saw him replaced in November.

Mark Kinsella is a Charlton Legend. He began coaching at Walsall, combining reserve team management with first-team coaching. He was caretaker manager there for two games. In Dec 2006, he returned to Charlton, and has been reserve team manager ever since.

REMEMBER: You are voting on who out of the two on offer you would prefer to be Charlton manager.

Comments

• Options
    I reckon this could be the first whitewash.
  • Options
    Tough one this, but whilst I would be willing to let the club be an step up the ladder to an existing manager feel that kinsella would be a risk until he has dipped his toes in the management waters a little bit.
  • Options
    Have to vote Kinsella, just have to...
  • Options
    The heart says Kinsella..but he has no managerial experience, so right now it has to be Davies, who also led Derby to promotion, getting clubs he managed into the play-offs three times in a row, which is some achievement. Ok the wheels fell off the wagon after he got promoted, but that could be down to a number of factors. There were new owners at Derby with whom he clearly didn't get on with and I think when he left Derby although they were in the relegation zone they weren't bottom. Had he stayed I think they'd have picked up more points than they did underJewell, but I still think they'd have gone down. So on experience and achievement it has to be Davies.
  • Options
    ouch! That hurt.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The heart says Kinsella..but he has no managerial experience, so right now it has to be Davies, who also led Derby to promotion, getting clubs he managed into the play-offs three times in a row, which is some achievement. Ok the wheels fell off the wagon after he got promoted, but that could be down to a number of factors. There were new owners at Derby with whom he clearly didn't get on with and I think when he left Derby although they were in the relegation zone they weren't bottom. Had he stayed I think they'd have picked up more points than they did underJewell, but I still think they'd have gone down. So on experience and achievement it has to be Davies.

All true Davies but he had a chance to manage Charlton and didn't take it. No second chances.

Kinsella is unproven and that he was a good captain doesn't mean he will be a good manager (Bryan Robson anyone) but I still voted for him.
  • Options
    Kins

the only way to get there is by allowing people like kins take the helm make mistakes and learn from them i would have him as manager 2morrow
  • Options
    All true Davies but he had a chance to manage Charlton and didn't take it. No second chances.

We never found out the reasons why he turned down the job, I doubt that Derby were offering more money or a bigger transfer fee budget to play with. Reading between the lines I think he was unhappy with the set-up into which he'd have to fit with Andrew Mills and his coaches already appointed. Given the way events subsequently panned out if that was the reason why he didn't take the job then he is a lot shrewder than he first looks, therefore another reason why I'd have no objection to him managing Charlton.
  • Options
    I voted Kins but it's not showing as counted. I thought Davies came across as a Billy big b*llox who thought he was the next Ferguson. I'd have Kins over him any day of the week for many reasons but first and foremostly, it's Kins for Christ sake!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]All true Davies but he had a chance to manage Charlton and didn't take it. No second chances.

We never found out the reasons why he turned down the job, I doubt that Derby were offering more money or a bigger transfer fee budget to play with. Reading between the lines I think he was unhappy with the set-up into which he'd have to fit with Andrew Mills and his coaches already appointed. Given the way events subsequently panned out if that was the reason why he didn't take the job then he is a lot shrewder than he first looks, therefore another reason why I'd have no objection to him managing Charlton.

If he was seriously considered when we were a premiership side he should be seriously considered now.

BTW- i'd certainly heard that it was that he wanted his own backroom staff as well.

Kins is a Charlton legend fact, but that doesn't mean he'd be a great manager- i'm sure he will one day but as the question asked, it's about who out of the two on offer who would you want, and i'm presuming now....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can only vote for Davies - Kins is a legend but with no managerial experience, hopefully he will be a good manager one day but I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that he will be a success.

We provided a big opportunity to Billy Davies before but he turned us down in all liklihood because of the unnatural coach-not-manager set up involving Mills and Les Reed and not being able to bring in people he wanted. To me that shows he is no fool.
    Unlike Dowie
  • Options
    Can you imagine Kinsella being appointed with no experience, failing and for the fans to turn on him - which would happen. Hero status sullied.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]All true Davies but he had a chance to manage Charlton and didn't take it. No second chances.

We never found out the reasons why he turned down the job, I doubt that Derby were offering more money or a bigger transfer fee budget to play with. Reading between the lines I think he was unhappy with the set-up into which he'd have to fit with Andrew Mills and his coaches already appointed. Given the way events subsequently panned out if that was the reason why he didn't take the job then he is a lot shrewder than he first looks, therefore another reason why I'd have no objection to him managing Charlton.[/quote]

He never said that the backroom staff was a problem otherwise the talks would not have got as far as they did. Thing is he just never said why so it's all speculation.

And for the 1000th time Andrew Mills was not Director of football or selecting the players so not sure why he would have been a problem.
  • Options
    The mysterious and potentially interfering presence of someone in a role that wasn't properly specified would surely have been a big mark on the minus list when weighing up a job offer.
  • Options
    KINS
  • Options
    It is my heart that supports Charlton and not my head, so therefore Kins every day.