Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Willie Harbot: One game for Charlton and one goal - At Old Trafford

One of the real pleasures of being fans director is when people contact you asking with a request for assistance or info and you can help them.

I've had quite a few "my dad/grandad used to play for the club, can you tell me about him" and I had another this week.

A grandson was asking about James Willie Harbot as he wanted some information or a photo for his dad which was quite touching. I don't know the story behind that but didn't feel I could ask. I passed on what I knew but also asked Colin Cameron who of course knew a lot more.

So here's to James Willie Harbot who may have played a small part in our history but was an Addick all the same.

From Colin

After playing for the Royal Marines in the Kent League, Jimmy joined Gillingham as an amateur in 1930/31, while stationed at Chatham. He made two League appearances for the Gills, scoring on his League (Division 3 (South)) debut in the 5-3 defeat by Exeter City at the Priestfield Stadium on Good Friday, April 3rd., 1931.

He joined Charlton May 10th, 1932 and in his fifteen months at the club served under three different managers - Alex Macfarlane, Albert Lindon and Jimmy Seed.

In his only first team appearance for the Addicks, he scored in the 1-1 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford on September 7th, 1932. A regular in the reserves in 1932/33, Jimmy netted 11 goals, including 10 in the Combination League.

He then had a season at Barrow (23 League appearances) before joining Stoke City in May 1934. Jimmy only made one League appearance for the Potters but it was enough to put his name into the record books. He was a member of the Stoke team that recorded their highest ever League win (10-3) against West Bromwich Albion at the Victoria Ground on February 4th, 1937. Jimmy was playing in the left back position that day and wearing the No. 7 shirt for Stoke was Stanley Matthews.

After Stoke, he had one season with Torquay United (15 League appearances, no goals) before joining Chorley in May 1938.

Sadly, I don't have a photo of your grandfather but it might be a good idea to try Torquay or even Stoke.

According to my information, he was born at Bolton on 16.8.07 and died at Bolton on 20.2.92. In his playing days, he played up front and also at full back and he was 5'10" and weighed in at 12st 1lb.