Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Breakdown of away followings...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Get Harriet Harman to sort out our away turn out lol
  • Options
    Nobody is having a dig oohahh - i know i'm certainly not.

I know a lot of your comments are said with a tinge of tongue in cheek/sarcasm which i find quite amusing.

Agree with your comments they, we can all hope for the best but i don't we should criticise the club or each other if we can't realistically reach these high levels overnight!
  • Options
    i know wss , i never criticise the club regarding our support .
    the club has done a magnificent job turning our home attendances into what we have, anything above 15k average for home fans for us in this division is brilliant
    and realistically the club can't do anything about away numbers cos it is a personal choice and i know i used to go everywhere when i was younger and without family committments
    but our club has fans in similar positions to every other club so i don't understand why our away numbers are so poor in comparison to everyone else, maybe it's cos our home numbers are so good ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]if we were away on saturdays in london,then i think our away support would stand shoulder to shoulder with palace all day long.

Not sure what you mean as we were away on saturdays in London. Palace, QPR, Watford and even Colchester and Ipswich were all saturday aways last season.
  • Options
    Interesting debate. Charltonparklane's point is a good one about the hardcore support. We were producing Goodbye Horse during the time when the main expansion of the stadium was going on, and we sold roughly the same amount of copies to 20,000 as we did to 12,000. Welcome as they are, the newbies are a different kind of supporter.

Also you can of course look at the figures in any number of ways, and certain anomolies (sp?) can twist and turn things like a twisty turny thing.

Take Sheffield for example, both clubs would have taken a substantial following to each other, and so both the home and away averages are pushed up. But with Utd having an average of 8000 spare seats, and Wednesday an average of 20,000 spare seats, one would assume a lot more Blades were able to get in to Hillsborough than Owls were able to get in to Bramall Lane? This would have the affect of making Wednesday's away support as a percentage of their home support look a lot worse, wouldn't it? And Vice versa, of course.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Welcome as they are, the newbies are a different kind of supporter.

Take your points, but I would add that, as a newbie myself, we have to realise that all supporter's are made, not born... and that takes time.

One thing I think is a vital question to address for the Club to really grow it's meaningful support is to identify how meaningful supporters are made. What's the hook? The primary question, imho, that they should be asking is how do we turn bums on seats into meaningful supporters. It's one of the main motivations I have with this site. Give a means for newbies to plug directly into the "hardcore" culture of Charlton supporters.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Some of us were lucky enough to win first place in the lottery of life at birth : - )
  • Options
    To be honest I don't know what all the fuss is about "how many we take away compared to whoever". The supporters who travel away do so because they want too. Just because you don't go away dosen't make you less of a supporter. I go to some away games and when I was younger I used to go every game home and away.
    Besides the club dosen't get money from away games so in the scheme of things it's better to have 26000 at home rather than 3000 away and 15000 at home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Welcome as they are, the newbies are a different kind of supporter.

Take your points, but I would add that, as a newbie myself, we have to realise that all supporter's are made, not born... and that takes time.

One thing I think is a vital question to address for the Club to really grow it's meaningful support is to identify how meaningful supporters are made. What's the hook? The primary question, imho, that they should be asking is how do we turn bums on seats into meaningful supporters. It's one of the main motivations I have with this site. Give a means for newbies to plug directly into the "hardcore" culture of Charlton supporters.

I too was made Lookie, converted from Luton. I guess my motivation came because the club were fighting to get back to The Valley, and I am always a sucker for an underdog.

Your point about turning them into meaningful supporters is excellent, perhaps those that do go away could simply encourage those around them that don't by offering help in organising their travel, or offering lifts? We could have an "adopt-a-newbie" scheme, where some of the hardcore make them feel more wanted and important by drafting them into their circle. :-D

Southampton has a good point too, at the end of the day (Brian) we make more out of them than they do out of us, and 24,000 at The Valley seems to make no difference to the on field performances, so 500 more fans in Doncaster ain't gonna turn a defeat into a win...