Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferenc Puskas RIP

I know probably none if us have never seen the fella play but I'll never forget my Grandad wax lyrical about this fella when talking about football. He always said "players of today couldn't lace his boots"

RIP a proper legend

His goalscoring record by the way

355 games for Honved 354 goals

84 goals in 85 for Hungary

Unbelievable -

He also played for Spain believe it or not.

Comments

• Options
    My dad was at Wembley for the 6-3 game. Still has his ticket stub. Fantastic player from all accounts. Made the Engalnd players look silly but my dad still thinks Bartram and Fenton would have stopped them.
  • Options
    Fantastic player........

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    There’s a really good story about him in Stanley Matthews’s autobiography. 

RIP
  • Options
    A legendary figure.

RIP
  • Options
    Before my time, but came across some old videos of him a few years ago. Absolute wand of a left foot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was six when I watched the England game on TV and remember vividly how we kids playing in the street were trying to imitate that drag back and his step overs that had the England defence falling over. 

• Options
    The only time I saw him was in an exhibition game at Stamford Bridge in about 1964. Might have been somebody's testimonial.
    Had a fair paunch by then, but was still a box of tricks
  • Options
    Only ever saw him via newsreels replayed on TV.

But, an absolutely fabulous talent that would have outshone just about all the footballers that we see today.

Glad I checked the date of the original posts before offering condolences (mostly because I was sure it was old news), though I am sure his loved ones still miss him. 
  • Options
    The word legend is banded about too easily these days, but he was a proper legend RIP great man.
  • Options
    There's some good footage of him in the Clouh/Forest documentary "I believe in miracles" on Netflix because he managed Panathinaikos who played Forest in an early round of the European Cup. 
  • Options
    My dad was at Wembley for the 6-3 game. Still has his ticket stub. Fantastic player from all accounts. Made the Engalnd players look silly but my dad still thinks Bartram and Fenton would have stopped them.
    Wasn’t Derek Ufton playing in that game?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    RIP although thought it was today and also saw a tribute to him in Spanish.
  • Options
    This thread is 16 years old @CharltonMadrid
  • Options
    Saw it earlier, and couldnt believe that he'd only just died until I opened the thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The word legend is banded about too easily these days, but he was a proper legend RIP great man.
    He died almost 16 years ago Chippy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn’t Derek Ufton playing in that game?
     No. Derek Ufton was playing in the game before against a FIFA X1. 
  • Options
    He died almost 16 years ago Chippy.
    I knew it was a few years ago but didn't realise it was that long ago, worth a nudge though.