Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What westham fans are saying about Curbs

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Taken from an article on sky
Mike Forster (West Ham United fan) says...
As long as Curbs is at the helm we will never be exciting ! Dull, boaring, negative, 1 upfront taktics is all he ever playes, hoof the ball upfront and see what happens ! Im sorry but Curbs has to go now !

Robbie Jess (West Ham United fan) says...
I know we had a rough time with injuries last season but I was disappointed by the lack of hunger at the club and for me this stems from the Management. I don't think Curbs is the man for the job, he did ok at Charlton but The Irons are a much bigger club and keeping us in mid table for 9 years is not what we are looking for.

I would love to still have Curbs and be in the Prem league. Well his first 5 years until parker went. So come Christmas we might see Curbs back if we have a poor start. As he wont be at the irons

Comments

• Options
    we don't want him after christmas.
  • Options
    The Vibe at West Ham at Board Level is if they have a bad Start he won't be at the Helm come November.
  • Options
    no way do i want curbs back , it's so much more exciting in this league with pardews attacking style of play and remember he has a 2-3-4-5 year plan in place.... who wants to see johnnie foreigners deco and co beat us 4-0 when we can lose to proper northerners like barnsley and get to play at real stadiums with real fans
  • Options
    he will be out by Xmas
  • Options
    West Ham fans in unrealistic expectation shock!
  • Options
    I've also heard that WH are financially in the poo so he doesn't have much of a budget
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]no way do i want curbs back , it's so much more exciting in this league with pardews attacking style of play and remember he has a 2-3-4-5 year plan in place.... who wants to see johnnie foreigners deco and co beat us 4-0 when we can lose to proper northerners like barnsley and get to play at real stadiums with real fans

I've just laughed out loud at that, the people in my office think I'm weird.
  • Options
    I heard something bizarre about the budget that Curbs had either spent very little net or was actually in surplus when player sales were taken into account, not including wages of course, anyone care to verify?
  • Options
    I can verify that West Ham are on very dodgy ground financially, well by their standards anyway.The big backers of a season or two back have pulled the plug big time.
    Curbs is not exactly 'sleeping well at nights' and aint what one might call a happy bunny!
  • Options
    o dear never mind. As they say "you should be careful what you wish for" maybe they both deserve one another. Either way it aint our problem !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think they'll have a good season.
  • Options
    I said at the beginning of the Euros that Curbs wouldn't last and Bilic would take over at the Hamsters by Christmas
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Curbishley would never come back here and it would be a huge mistake if he did. With the possible exception of Ohhahh, most fans (and I suspect Curbishley himelf) would accept that he had stayed too long. The squad we had was poor and I believe that we would have gone down even if he had stayed.

That things haven't worked out the way we would have wanted since he went doesn't mean that the decision to let him go wasn't the right one.

In our early premiership, Curbishley got us playing some good attacking football so am suprised that he seems to have been so negative at west ham considering the players he has at his disposal.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I would still like to have seen him stay at Charlton.
    I'm not saying we should bring him back but like it or not I think we'd still be in The Premiership gaining all the finance and spin offs that that entails.
    We couldn't have been relegated at a worst moment in the history of The Premiership as far as finance was concerned.
    I'd sooner he'd have stayed and we stayed up quite frankly, negative football and all that it brought us not withstanding.
    We could have and possibly would have attracted some bigger backers somewhere along the line, of course you can't say that for sure but it's a fair shout IMHO. As it is, we are now a far less attractive proposition for an ever decreasing number of 'sugar daddies' out there who are willing to dig deep.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    'the decision to let him go wasn't the right one.'

I thought he wanted to leave ?

It was time for him to go. Should of went out and payed top dollar for a manager not egor !!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So what are the figures involved sales vs purchases (player purchases being one of the biggest outlays since Curbs arrival, then wages I guess)?

Admittedly they probably have big debt from stadium development, and big wages, but they also have a pretty decent fan base/capacity and big money from the Premiership.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cant agree SoundAs£. I think it would have been better for Curbs and CAFC ifhe had left 2 years before he did. I think there was the job at Newcastle about at the time for him and maybe who ever came into CAFC would have had the time (with Curbs half desent side) to change things about.
    As it was i think Curbs knew we were in big dodo, and he couldnt get motivated at CAFC anymore. Deano--Ewell both said same thing he was going through the motions towards the end.
    Sad to say that big spend up in our last season seems like it will be the first and last big spend up we will have and what a pile of shit we got for our cash.
    Wont shedto many tears if it all goes pete tong at Wet Spam.
  • Options
    I used to refer to Curbs as Alan Cautiously.

Invariably, everything he did was based on a safety first approach - after all, if we were 3-0 down with 25 minutes left and getting a bit of a tonking, he'd play his master stroke tactic of pulling off a forward and replacing him with yet another defender.

He even did that at West Ham when they were 4-0 down at Reading at halftime - his damage limitation tactics really paid off, as the Hamsters only lost 6-0 in the end, lol

He'd only been in that job a fortnight at that time, but obviously leopards don't change their spots, so it doesn't surprise me that Hamster fans are dismayed with his negativity.

I know this sounds like I'm Curb-bashing (instead of Curb-crawling, perhaps?) - but just saying it how I see it.
    Take nothing away from his achievements at Charlton, but all the while he has this underdog mentality, rarely can you expect him to take the bull by the horns and simply go for it.
  • Options
    I suppose it is testament to the job Curbs did for us but he left over two years ago now and we're still banging on about "what if he stayed".

Argh!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'the decision to let him go wasn't the right one.'

I thought he wanted to leave ?

It was time for him to go. Should of went out and payed top dollar for a manager not egor !!

Curbishley wanted to go but wanted to see out the last year of his contract. Quite rightly the Board said no if you want to go, go now. So I suppose you could argue that we let him go.

But I agree with GH, personally I thought he should have gone a couple of season before he actually did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still cant work out why we made such a horlicks of replacing Curbs.....we knew for a couple of seasons he was going but then it appeared to be a mad panic with no structure in place for a replacement......so maybe he was thinking of staying...or what......all water under the bridge just PIA we shot all our money ( inc bents load of cash ) on a number of donkeys......but new season new hope.....but please no curbs back......west ham mates got no time for him they call him Uncle Curbs...
  • Options
    Agree with GH, he should have gone earlier.

I hope Pardew does it for us this season but I must admit that at present I feel more negative about a new season than I have done for many a year - any one else feel that way?
  • Options
    Always start new season with hope....but soon gets eroded with ...perfomances and Pardew after match comments......but hope in heart we make play offs....or at the least make the valley a fortress.....well nearly fortress.....sure crowd will be up for it.....
  • Options
    Curbs out by November - Dowie to replace him
  • Options
    Fickle lot the West Hamsters - when Curbs joined them they were in danger of relegation. He saves them from that and gives them boring mid-table respectability the next season, something they could go on from. Instead they want him sacked and apparently in favour of someone who has never managed in the EPL...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Agree with GH, he should have gone earlier.

I hope Pardew does it for us this season but I must admit that at present I feel more negative about a new season than I have done for many a year - any one else feel that way?

It is distinctly possible Charlton won't play top tier football again in my lifetime.

The longer we stagnate or worse in the Championship the more apparent will be the amazing acievement of Alan Curbishley in giving us Premiership football at The Valley for so many seasons.
  • Options
    You could well be right there LG, but in praising Curbs don't forget Lennie Lawence and his achievements in the old 1st Div.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]You could well be right there LG, but in praising Curbs don't forget Lennie Lawence and his achievements in the old 1st Div.

Very true. As great Charlton managers there is a fag paper between them.

Curbs gets the nod for me because he had to deal with Bosmans, agents and players wanting European football while being relatively short of resources. Lennie had none of those problems, other than the shortage of resources, as the Heysel ban was in operation although he had to play 42 away games of course!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    being fair to curbs, half of his squad were injured last year, so not much he can do with a shit squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Fickle lot the West Hamsters - when Curbs joined them they were in danger of relegation. He saves them from that and gives them boring mid-table respectability the next season, something they could go on from. Instead they want him sacked and apparently in favour of someone who has never managed in the EPL...

very good point BFR ... still boring mid table premiership isn't good enough for some.....