Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

dearth of central midfielders?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I wonder if there is a lacking the game in general of quality central players in hindering us, strikers seem to be ten a penny.

??

Comments

• Options
    Certainly seems to be the case down in SE7 raz.
  • Options
    I think the word 'quality' you mention is just it. There are probably enough midfielders out there but it's finding the one that will suit us that is the problem. Finding midfielders that are athletic, youthful, with pace and energy are more likely to be ten a penny but finding the midfielder that has a comprehension of how to make a 10yd pass is harder.

Perhaps it is the English pre-occupation with the long ball game, which by-passes the passing midfielders, and this has filtered down to acacemy level, therefore there are less and less technically skilled central midfielders coming through the ranks.

Pardew has certainly signed enough players in this position: Racon, Sinclair, Semedo, with really only the latter making the grade. He also has the potential of Arter, Wright and in particular Shelvey to look forward to. Perhaps long term he sees enough in them that we don't need to bring in someone for now.
  • Options
    I think many of the worlds centre midfielders are in and around Chelsea at the moment!
  • Options
    My thoughts are with their families.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]My thoughts are with their families.

LOL..He said DEARTH not death
  • Options
    Sorry, my mistake.........
  • Options
    I am sure we want to bring someone in who is better than what we have, but we have to sell first.

The blockage should clear if Marcus Bent signs for Cardiff in the next day or two, maybe for £2M - which would be a bonus since I think Wigan were only due to pay £1M and have had to pay us a £100k or two return him.