Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Very interesting article on Stevie Brown

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
from the SLP

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=10463

Comments

• Options
    Top bloke and a good solid pro for us.

Sadly doesn't look like there is anywhere for him at Charlton but I wish him all the best and wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching with us in a couple of years.

Not entirely sure if he would have the tactical awareness to cut it at the very top but what do I know - I work in insurance
  • Options
    Shocked Curbs outed him
  • Options
    read it in the paper yesterday with immense interest.

Most prominent part was his "Curbs" bash. Although he said he wasn't digging Curbs out but he said as a player Curbs wasn't a manager who would praise you or anything like that whereas under Pardew he said he was brilliant at that bit.

Other good bit saying he should have been more vocal moaning hen he got dropped - he's bang on he was always made scapegoat even when he played well and team lost.

Good article though - he's quality when commentating as well so people like him should be in the game to give back what they know.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Top bloke and a good solid pro for us.

Not entirely sure if he would have the tactical awareness to cut it at the very top but what do I know - I work in insurance

Not sure you can qualify those comments with any fact - without being given a job in football we'll never know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Top bloke and a good solid pro for us.

Not sure you can qualify those comments with any fact - without being given a job in football we'll never know.

It's a safe bet. I'm truly poo at Football Manager
  • Options
    I don't think i ever saw Brown have a 'mare for us. Sometimes he wasn't particularly effective, and his lack of pace led to some problems, but even when he wasn't playing particularly well he never looked like he had 'lost it' in a positional sense. I think he may make a decent manager - its often players that were good solid pros that make the best manager, rather than those who were a cut above during their playing days.

Every time I've heard him on the radio he talks nothing but sense - I reckon a second division side would be willing to give him a shot and see whether he can make a fist of it as a manager
  • Options
    Spot on Leroy. It used to drive me mad when Curbs used to drop him or sub him.

Ferguson
    Mourinho
    Benitez

To name 3 no great shakes as footballers but as managers not many equals.
  • Options
    When listing to his co comentry last term, he would always say what we were thinking he could not belive the school boy defending, pards could do a lot worse then getting brownnie in even once a week to coach the back four, ok he was no Japp Stam or Tony Adams but he had heart and passion and never let us down. With the state we are in at the moment we need as much character off the pitch as we need on it, letting chrissy powell go could be a mistake, having powell, kinsella and brownie around the club would be great.
  • Options
    True hero for me, especially in goal!
  • Options
    Villa away will always live long in the memory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Browny is a top man.

I should mention that he rates Jon Fortune highly but is frustrated Jon won't talk more and lead the defence.

Given the flak Fortune gets from some on here I feel that is an observation worth making.
  • Options
    It probably justifies the flak he gets on here because talking and leading the defence are part of the job aren't they? As well as concentrating for 90 minutes rather than 85...
  • Options
    A while ago at the end of the season the club gave a special offer of a signed shirt and photo with your favourite player. I asked to have my photo with Steve Brown and he seemed genuinely surprised that a supporter wuould choose him - I did because he was Charlton through and through and always gave his best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Spot on Leroy. It used to drive me mad when Curbs used to drop him or sub him.

Ferguson
    Mourinho
    Benitez

Fergie played for Rangers and scored over 40 goals one season. I think he is in a different league (player wise) from Mourinho, Benitez and indeed Wenger who as far as I know never did anything on the field.
  • Options
    Although they obviously had playing careers i don't think the likes of Scolari, Ramos and Sven had outstanding playing careers either
  • Options
    At recent City Addick events, I thought Steve Brown & John Humphries were most interesting & very articulate. Is that part of the job description for a Charlton right full back?

Oh no, I forgot about Danny Mills!!
  • Options
    For some reason Curbs never liked Brownie and treated him very unfairly at times.
    I couldn't believe how he used to drop him after having had a cracking game for the donkey Carl Tiler.
    I think he was far more talented than he was given credit for especially at centre half. His positional sense and reading of the game was superb, as was his long distance passing. The only thing he lacked was a bit of pace, but he often made up for that by throwing himself head first at the ball.
    One particular performance will always stick in my mind, against Man U at home when Dwight York got a last minute equaliser for them.
    Brownie was absolutely superb that day. I'd love to see him back at the club.
  • Options
    Brown ---- Traore one everything right about a pro footballer and the other is Traore.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]A while ago at the end of the season the club gave a special offer of a signed shirt and photo with your favourite player. I asked to have my photo with Steve Brown and he seemed genuinely surprised that a supporter wuould choose him - I did because he was Charlton through and through and always gave his best.

After the Liverpool game at the end of the 2000/2001 season, being 5 days off my due date with my first child and having stood in F block for the duration of the game (for that, read season!), a family member who then worked at the club asked Brownie if he could have his shirt for me - he duly signed it and handed it over! Top bloke indeed.
  • Options
    It's no secret among regulars on here that I rate Curbs Charlton's greatest manager.

Whilst I know Curbs used to look at "the whole man" as much as "the footballer" before purchasing a player, hence his extraordinary success in the transfer market, he was very lucky to find men available either to buy or already at the Club with the personal and professional qualities of Browny, Kinsella, Rufus, Nelson etc, etc. Those guys and later guys like Chris Powell, Deano and Kish had Charlton in their blood and were a large part of why Curbs deservedly earned his good name in the game in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember him in the midweek home game vs Tranmere, when we came back from 0-2 to win 3-2. I think it was the 99/00 season - I thought he was inspirational that night, and got on the scoresheet with a header.
  • Options
    He has his coaching badges now which I think was one of the reasons why he was ooverlooked at Charlton.

Possibly there'll be a job back at the club for him one day - I think from being the sort of player and person he is that he might make a great coach, I'm not sure whether that means he'll become a great manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Spot on Leroy. It used to drive me mad when Curbs used to drop him or sub him.

Ferguson
    Mourinho
    Benitez

Fergie played for Rangers and scored over 40 goals one season. I think he is in a different league (player wise) from Mourinho, Benitez and indeed Wenger who as far as I know never did anything on the field.

I would agree with you to an extent Chirpy however fergie only played 40 games for Rangers - He was prolific however and scored about 20 odd goals.

According to the old man Rangers fans will never forgive him for missing a sitter against Celtic in the 67 league cup final which maybe would have stopped the eventual quadruple
  • Options
    Was it Brownie who went in goal for us against Man City (at the old Maine Road ground) when our goalie was injured?

I was actually there and I remember him making a string of excellent saves and we came away with a 2-2 draw.

A true Charlton legend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Was it Brownie who went in goal for us against Man City (at the old Maine Road ground) when our goalie was injured?

I was actually there and I remember him making a string of excellent saves and we came away with a 2-2 draw.

A true Charlton legend.
    Yes it was. Salmon went off at half time after colliding with a post in the first half. Brownie kept a clean sheet until the 88th minute!
  • Options
    Have a look at the play off video and see the challenge he made to win the ball that help set up Sir Clives third and our final equaliser? He was a hugely under-rated player and Curbs didn't truely appreciate him in my book. I suspect he had a few things to say and that got him on Curbs wrong side. To me that helps explain why Curbs outed him at Wet Spam.
  • Options
    steve brown was a very solid fully committed passionate pro but i don't think he was good enough for where curbs wanted us to be, middle to top half premiership, and that's why brown never quite had any really prolonged spells in the side when we were at that level unless injuries or suspensions left curbs with no choice...
    with the results curbs achieved for us he was going to have to piss off a few players cos you can't keep 20 plus players happy with only 11 starting spots....
    can't wait for our next 7 consecutive years of top flight football, maybe the next time it happens the manager can keep everyone happy by playing like brazil1970 and pick only homegrown players who have supported charlton since birth
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Have a look at the play off video and see the challenge he made to win the ball that help set up Sir Clives third and our final equaliser? He was a hugely under-rated player and Curbs didn't truely appreciate him in my book. I suspect he had a few things to say and that got him on Curbs wrong side. To me that helps explain why Curbs outed him at Wet Spam.

Curbs was happy to sign Parker at West Ham though and that row was a lot more public.

I think Brown was a convenient scapegoat when results didn't go our way and Curbs knew he could drop him and get 100% from him in training and in the next game without him sulking.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    One comment I heard him say on a radio commentary was about Steve Sidwell when Brownie played at Reading. Apparently he recommended him to Curbs and told him to snap him up before Reading became good. Shows he's a good talent spotter as I thought Sidwell would have been brilliant for us before he became billy big bollox.....
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming it Alex, it was an extraordinary night.

As you say, he nearly earned us 3 points, but he certainly was the main man responsible for us getting any points at all!

It made me laugh as the city fans (they are like the spurs of the north in terms of moaning) were absolutely gutted and we were all made up and gave Brownie a standing ovation.

I'll say it again - legend!