Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bent and Faye to save Magic?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Sounds like Marcus could be off to Cardiff very soon for up to £2M, and Faye is training at Stoke, so could be another £1M if we're lucky.

If both come off then the transfer fees are great bonuses and hopefully we have no need to sell possibly our most talented player.

Well that's my hope, although it does sound too late with all the Real Betis talk of a £2.5M deal on the cards :-(

Comments

• Options
    wishful thinking. I very much doubt we'll get 2m for Marcus and as for Faye maybe 500k will be the best we can hope for. The saving on wages is nearly as important as the fees received.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I don’t think we are currently operating in that kind of market. Every player on our books will have a price (and I include Varney, Shelvey, Weaver in that) and they will be allowed to talk to players if the right offer comes in.

Its not nice, its not good from a football perspective but from a business perspective where costs are being cut by 50-75% (guess) after this year, it is a reality.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]wishful thinking. I very much doubt we'll get 2m for Marcus and as for Faye maybe 500k will be the best we can hope for. The saving on wages is nearly as important as the fees received.

Exactly right.I don't think fees will be anywhere close to what's being 'quoted'.
  • Options
    To get £1.5M for the pair - and to get them off the wage bill - is probably par for the course.

What I am hoping is that the reported figures have some truth to them so we can save the Bougyman.
  • Options
    Pards does not want to Sell Bougherra, but unless he generates some cash quickly it is deffo a possibility. I am 100% with you Salad, think Pards is looking for any excuse NOT to sell him but circumstances may contrive against us. :-(
  • Options
    That's reassuring to hear Kets, hopefully he is keen to stay if we can keep him.
  • Options
    would rather bank £5m and get some new players in we could buy atleast another 20 non league strikers with that money
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]That's reassuring to hear Kets, hopefully he is keen to stay if we can keep him.

Didn't Pardew want to keep Reid?
  • Options
    Haven't the board said they need £5M to balance the books? We would need to raise this sum before thinking of buying.

I wonder what we got for Paddy, £500K?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]Haven't the board said they need £5M to balance the books? We would need to raise this sum before thinking of buying.

I wonder what we got for Paddy, £500K?

£650,000 apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    there is a gloomy magic outlook :-(
  • Options
    I've heard that it is very possible that Mr. Bougy could be gone by the end of play today. £2.5m
  • Options
    sure the price is fine, but this is extremely disapponting I think.
    I don't suppose Mr Pards will be chuffed about losing the magic one either.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sounds like Murray has to sell to keep the club going. Does anyone know who the club owes i.e private individuals related to the club, banks etc..
  • Options
    Well if the rumours of having to raise £5 Million before we can even buy are true the writing is on the wall re a few of our players leaving. Faye at Centre Half anyone ?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There was no indication of this £5m deficit at the CA meeting, at least while I was there anyway, only that we have to move people (Faye/Bent) on in order to bring people in, largely because of their comparitively huge wages I would imagine. And what about the money we got from the Reid sale, all that was left over from buying Gray anyway?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Sounds like Murray has to sell to keep the club going. Does anyone know who the club owes i.e private individuals related to the club, banks etc..

The Mafia, the Moonies and the Martians but don't tell anyone. They might think it was a conspiracy theory : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Sounds like Murray has to sell to keep the club going. Does anyone know who the club owes i.e private individuals related to the club, banks etc..

The Mafia, the Moonies and the Martians but don't tell anyone. They might think it was a conspiracy theory : - )

Are you sure, Henry?

That's not on the OS yet.

:o)
  • Options
    I'd pay no real attention to the detail of what we need to bring in etc, but three facts are known:

1. We need to run with a smaller squad, on a lower budget than last season.
    2. To bring players in, we need to sell first and bring 'some' money in
    3. We desperately need to get the guaranteed wages of two individuals off the books.

Until 1 and 3 are achived, it will be difficult to move forward.
  • Options
    "Albion manager Tony Mowbray’s search for strikers may lead him to a £2million move for Charlton striker Marcus Bent."
    http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/07/11/latest-transfer-rumours-july-11/

too late to save the bougey man though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread sure makes sad reading.The Premiership is light years away now.When you think of the quality of players we were linked with in the transfer market just two years ago. Now we are scrabbling around at the bottom of the heap looking for players we wouldn't have looked twice at before.
    It reminds me of twenty plus years ago,selling your best players ,buying cheap or frees and going nowhere, how sad.
    Don't get me wrong,nothing would stop me from going to the Valley but I think we were spoilt with those wonderful years in the Premiership. Most of the football was a joy to see then one disasterious season it all falls apart and we are reduced to this.
    I want to see this club succeed so much it hurts but we just seem to slip further and further into the mire.
    I'm sorry this post is so negative but I've seen so many years of c**p in my life it has made me dispondant.
    I'm really hoping this season I can start enjoying my football again.
  • Options
    i'm sure there are many that agree with that post Tel
  • Options
    From a position of "relative" strength two seasons ago we are now in very serious danger of slipping back into the pack. Just proves the fact that the way money is shared out in football these days is very unfair. Like Sidcuptel I can see further slipage. This season might be our last real tilt at getting back into the money for quite some time. Common you reds.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    iain bloody d*wie !
  • Options
    I have got my head around it. Reminds me of the Addicks in the early 90's. I would love to see us back in the prem but in reality I can't see it happening in the near future. I am not fussed, I don't really agree with the premier league and the greed that goes with it. I will keep going to The Valley and enjoying it.
  • Options
    I think CHG 's post above is a good positive take.

But we don't need to give up .... it's often a decent spirit o the park that makes the difference - look at Stoke, Hull, and nearly Bristol City.

It's all there to play for.
  • Options
    "don't always seem to go you don't know what you've got till it's gone"

The premiership seems a long way off but what Dowie did is still biting deep.

Wouldn't say we're quite "scrabbling around at the bottom of the heap" but otherwise I agree with you Tel.

But like CHG says I'll still be going and I still think we'll get back sooner or later.

Live, love, laugh and be happy
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    without at least a 40k stadium regularly filled we were always going to struggle to stay in the premiership indefinitely, makes one appreciate the achievement more perhaps, although thought it was a bit dull personally in latter years anyway.
  • Options
    come on guys it aint that bad. new season, new kit...... :)

hopefully we can make a challenge for it this season. we do have some quality players in the side and a pretty good manager. was chatting to a leicester fan the other night. sh*t at least we arnt where they are.

But, just make sure you enjoy the good times when they happen and not get too comfortable. sing your hearts out for the lads. coz that was cleary missing far too often last season.