Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Reject Bid for Bent

Pards said in his after match talk that they have rejected a bid form Cardiff and want them to meet thier asking price.

Comments

• Options
    I wonder what they have offered?? If out valuation is £2,000,000 i wonder how short Cardiff was??? Got me thinking though anything would be decent for us especially as it would get his wages off our bill????!!?!??!!!?!??
  • Options
    i think we hope to get over £1m and they would've bid £700k cos they know we're agonised to unload him, personally i'd bite their hand off
  • Options
    The BBC rumour page suggests that the deal will go through for £1.5m.
  • Options
    Mind you we are dealing with Peter Ridsdale. The story goes that when Seth Johnson arrived at Leeds to discuss his contract, his agent wanted to hold out for £13,000 a week. Peter Ridsdale entered the room and said "Right, I'm sorry but I can only offer you thirty thousand a week". Johnson's agent uttered some exclamation of disbelief and so Ridsdale said "Alright, thirty-seven thousand then".

So perhaps we are right to hold out for a little bit more...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Mind you we are dealing with Peter Ridsdale. The story goes that when Seth Johnson arrived at Leeds to discuss his contract, his agent wanted to hold out for £13,000 a week. Peter Ridsdale entered the room and said "Right, I'm sorry but I can only offer you thirty thousand a week". Johnson's agent uttered some exclamation of disbelief and so Ridsdale said "Alright, thirty-seven thousand then".

That's true that is, a mate of mine was at Leeds at the time and can vouch for it!
  • Options
    Was there a fish tank thrown in with the deal, not that you'd want to throw fishtanks, tends to damage the glass.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    probably lots of add ons like he has to score 10 goals in a season or we only get a picture of Risdales cat and a box of cornflakes. Id take it, always liked cornflakes(no pussy comments plzzzzzzzzzzzz Fishnets )
  • Options
    Just get rid of him FFS
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Mind you we are dealing with Peter Ridsdale. The story goes that when Seth Johnson arrived at Leeds to discuss his contract, his agent wanted to hold out for £13,000 a week. Peter Ridsdale entered the room and said "Right, I'm sorry but I can only offer you thirty thousand a week". Johnson's agent uttered some exclamation of disbelief and so Ridsdale said "Alright, thirty-seven thousand then".

I bet David Moyes had a similar reaction when Curbishley offered £2.5m for him in the first place!!
  • Options
    Moyes actually asked Curbs if he meant pounds or Lira.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    checked paddington site...train in few hours could he make it by then .........like other journeymen,,,,,,,if he went for say 2million how much money has changed hands for that sack of sugar !!over the years.... then gain i bet there are a few like him....the odd 3-4 million here then move on after two years bit like at work the two yearers....after two they get caught out there crap and move on to other firm guess footballers the same
  • Options
    I can't believe you checked the paddington site , all TRUE Charlton fans know the train times off by heart
  • Options
    bid for bougherra rejected too
  • Options
    Pards apparently said on SSN that initial bids for Bent and Bougherra have been rejected. Bougherra missing from friendlies due to extended leave after intl games according to Kent Messenger.
  • Options
    Bougherra is not getting sold so I understand it, providing we can offload a couple of others (Start praying everyone)
  • Options
    Hallelujah - I am prayin'
  • Options
    Anything over £1m for Bent would be brilliant business. I was happy to give him a free, to be honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Anything over £1m for Bent would be brilliant business. I was happy to give him a free, to be honest.
    True enough, it's more about getting him off the wage bill than anything else
  • Options
    would love to know what Cardiff offered. Are we in danger of pricing him out of a move ? Would look pretty stupid if he was still here come 1st Sept.
  • Options
    Or could we reasonably confidentally turn down Cardiff's offer, knowing other clubs are interested.

We didn't sound that desperate to unload him at the price of Cardiff's offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just read on a Wales online site that they believe the bid was in region of one mil.

Charlton boss Alan Pardew has rejected a bid for striker Marcus Bent from Cardiff City, insisting "He's worth more than that."

City yesterday tabled a bid for the 30-year-old believed to be in the region of £1m, but that was dismissed by the south London outfit.

“With all due respect, it was a good bid, but it did not match his market value, particularly when you take into consideration the season he had at Wigan last year,” said Pardew.

Bent scored seven goals on loan at the Latics, helping them stay in the Premiership, but manager Steve Bruce ruled out a permanent switch.

Bent, who has also had spells at Everton and Blackburn, has now emerged as Cardiff’s number one target and chairman Peter Ridsdale is keen to tie up a deal before City head to Portugal this weekend for their pre-season tour.
  • Options
    It's a catch 22 situation, yes he's worth more than 1m after scoring a few prem goals last season but.........that's offset by the fact that us the selling club NEED to get rid and soon. Anything around 1.5m and we should snap their hands off.
    If we can get 1.5m for Bent, a similar fee for Thomas, and 25p for Faye then we're doing ok. Plus combined those 3 must be on around 40k a week.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    everyone know that Ridsdale is an idiot with club money, so we'll end up getting a few quid more than we really want :o)
  • Options
    Did I understand correctly that Wigan had to pay us a fee to send him back, perhaps to cover his wages till the end of his contract in Jan 09? This could be handy of course if true, and strengthens our position a little.
  • Options
    I would have said the combined three of Thomas, Faye and Bent was more like 70k a week.
  • Options
    looks like pardew values him at the same price as curbs did back when we were in the prem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]everyone know that Ridsdale is an idiot with club money, so we'll end up getting a few quid more than we really want :o)

I'm sure i read somewhere that they weren't renewing Fowler and Hasslebainks contracts so i imagine thats freed up some money. Plus they got 5m for Ramsey so maybe thats why we're holding out for more.
  • Options
    I think Fowler got offered a pay as you play deal.
  • Options
    Yea they've got some cash to spend and most Bluebirds supporters are clambering for a centre forward signing in the same way that we want a centre midfielder.

I reckon Pards should do the: "No, I'm sorry, you'll have to increase your offer" one more time then snap their hands off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Did I understand correctly that Wigan had to pay us a fee to send him back, perhaps to cover his wages till the end of his contract in Jan 09? This could be handy of course if true, and strengthens our position a little.
    I think we got something in the region of £250,000 didnt we?